Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 19:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation - Top 10 PhD Program in Quant Marketing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation - Top 10 PhD Program in Quant Marketing [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 05:49
I'm a 25-year old Romanian female and I would like to apply for a PhD in Marketing, Quant track at the top programs in the US. What do you think my chances for admission are?

GMAT: 750 - 49Q(88%), 42V (95%), so only 88% in Quant, I am really worried about this...
Undergrad GPA in Economics (Marketing concentration)at Romanian top univ: 4.0
Master's in Strategic Marketing: 4.0
Undergraduate research experience, including a Best Student Research Award
2.5 yrs experience in marketing research, including in London and Hamburg
Great grades in Statistics and Econometrics
3 Prizes at National Mathematics Olympics while in high school
Teaching experience: undergraduate marketing seminars
Recommendations: great, but not from any professor they would know.

I am especially worried about the fact that my background is in Marketing (I've seen that a quant background is preferred), that I got only 49Q in GMAT and that my recommenders are not well known in US...What do you think?
Looking forward to your feedback.
Thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 2

Re: Profile evaluation - Top 10 PhD Program in Quant Marketing [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 11:50
thasummereve wrote:
I'm a 25-year old Romanian female and I would like to apply for a PhD in Marketing, Quant track at the top programs in the US. What do you think my chances for admission are?

GMAT: 750 - 49Q(88%), 42V (95%), so only 88% in Quant, I am really worried about this...
Undergrad GPA in Economics (Marketing concentration)at Romanian top univ: 4.0
Master's in Strategic Marketing: 4.0
Undergraduate research experience, including a Best Student Research Award
2.5 yrs experience in marketing research, including in London and Hamburg
Great grades in Statistics and Econometrics
3 Prizes at National Mathematics Olympics while in high school
Teaching experience: undergraduate marketing seminars
Recommendations: great, but not from any professor they would know.

I am especially worried about the fact that my background is in Marketing (I've seen that a quant background is preferred), that I got only 49Q in GMAT and that my recommenders are not well known in US...What do you think?
Looking forward to your feedback.
Thanks

You've got a great profile. You shouldn't worry about your credentials -- with a good SOP you'll be competitive anywhere.

1) No quant background + 49Q = no big deal. A 42V for an international student is mind-blowing. You don't have a purely quantitative background (e.g. MS Math), but so what, few people do. While not directly relevant, those Math Olympics prizes you got are evidence that you can perform well, especially since they're backed with Econometrics grades (even though undergraduate I would guess?).

2) Recommendation letters -- not a big problem in the sense that someone from a Romanian university is very unlikely to get recs from well-known American (or even English) faculty. It's what admissions people deal with everyday when it comes to international students. Once they've decided on opening the door for them, they need to loosen up on some criteria due to lack of knowledge (e.g. what does your 4.0 GPA mean, etc.).
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation - Top 10 PhD Program in Quant Marketing [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 16:23
Hi,

Just wondering if u got into a top phd program in quant marketing? i am applying this year as well so was wondering if u can share ur experiences with me. my id is sara.andrew12 [at] gmail. Please drop me an email so that i can ask u some further questions. I ll really appreciate it. thanks

sara
Re: Profile evaluation - Top 10 PhD Program in Quant Marketing   [#permalink] 28 Aug 2010, 16:23