Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 10:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation (Trying to overcome low GPA)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Profile Evaluation (Trying to overcome low GPA) [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2013, 17:20
Work Experience: Current- Equity Analyst- research the consumer staples sector for a large buy side investment management firm think (Fidelity, Wellington, T Rowe, American Funds) for the past two years. Previously was in a research support role supporting portfolio managers for non-stock research and before that traded international equities and currencies.
GMAT: 720 42Q/45V
College: University of Vermont- 2.7 GPA Business Admin/Finance, had 3 really bad semesters 1 my uncle died, and the other 2 my mom spent a lot of time in ICU with an undiagnosed kidney ailment, I was young and incapable of dealing with my personal issues and school at the same time, I just didn’t go to class, without the my other 5 semesters my GPA averages over 3.3. I knew my low GPA and non-target school would hurt me so I enrolled at Boston College for their MSF program, graduated last year with a 3.75 GPA.

Extra-Curricular: Treasurer for my fraternity, managed a 200k budget. 100 hours of community service in college. I plan to get involved with a local charity to volunteer now that I have a lot of free time back in my life; I just finished the CFA program.

Certifications: CFA

Targets: Harvard, MIT, Wharton, Columbia, Dartmouth, Stanford, Chicago, and Northwestern. Primarily Columbia and Dartmouth; I feel I am a longshot for the other 6, may even be a longshot for all 8.

Timeframe: R1&R2 2014-2015

Post MBA Goal: Become a portfolio manager at Mutual Fund Company or analyst at a leading hedge fund.

Is there anything else you would recommend I do between now and applying to try to overcome my poor undergrad? I believe I will have strong recommendations; I will be able to select alumni from each school to write them for me. I am hoping my MSF GPA, GMAT, and passing the 3 CFA exams 3/3 consecutively can overshadow my 2.7 that I got when I was a lot younger and a much different person.

Thank you very much for you time and consideration.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation (Trying to overcome low GPA) [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2013, 21:52
Expert's post
galan wrote:
Work Experience: Current- Equity Analyst- research the consumer staples sector for a large buy side investment management firm think (Fidelity, Wellington, T Rowe, American Funds) for the past two years. Previously was in a research support role supporting portfolio managers for non-stock research and before that traded international equities and currencies.
GMAT: 720 42Q/45V
College: University of Vermont- 2.7 GPA Business Admin/Finance, had 3 really bad semesters 1 my uncle died, and the other 2 my mom spent a lot of time in ICU with an undiagnosed kidney ailment, I was young and incapable of dealing with my personal issues and school at the same time, I just didn’t go to class, without the my other 5 semesters my GPA averages over 3.3. I knew my low GPA and non-target school would hurt me so I enrolled at Boston College for their MSF program, graduated last year with a 3.75 GPA.

Extra-Curricular: Treasurer for my fraternity, managed a 200k budget. 100 hours of community service in college. I plan to get involved with a local charity to volunteer now that I have a lot of free time back in my life; I just finished the CFA program.

Certifications: CFA

Targets: Harvard, MIT, Wharton, Columbia, Dartmouth, Stanford, Chicago, and Northwestern. Primarily Columbia and Dartmouth; I feel I am a longshot for the other 6, may even be a longshot for all 8.

Timeframe: R1&R2 2014-2015

Post MBA Goal: Become a portfolio manager at Mutual Fund Company or analyst at a leading hedge fund.

Is there anything else you would recommend I do between now and applying to try to overcome my poor undergrad? I believe I will have strong recommendations; I will be able to select alumni from each school to write them for me. I am hoping my MSF GPA, GMAT, and passing the 3 CFA exams 3/3 consecutively can overshadow my 2.7 that I got when I was a lot younger and a much different person.

Thank you very much for you time and consideration.

Before I respond, can you double check the score you reported on the GMAT and make sure it's correct?

Thanks,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Evaluation (Trying to overcome low GPA) [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 07:01
Linda,

Thanks for acknowledging my post.

Honestly it's just a score I pulled from a post where someone got a 720, that is the range I am expecting to be in or I wouldn't even apply to the schools I listed because I know it is a long shot even with a great GMAT. I realized after the fact that the verbal/quant scores were out of whack and that score is dominated by the verbal and the quant would probably be a red flag. I should have just asked what type of GMAT would I need to be considered at HBS, Wharton, Tuck, Booth, and Columbia without being marked DOA. I plan to take the GMAT this fall, I just finished the CFA which I studied 400 hours for each level the last 3 years so I will have a considerable amount of time to dedicate to studying for the GMAT.

Thank You,
Galan
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation (Trying to overcome low GPA) [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 16:29
Expert's post
galan wrote:
Linda,

Thanks for acknowledging my post.

Honestly it's just a score I pulled from a post where someone got a 720, that is the range I am expecting to be in or I wouldn't even apply to the schools I listed because I know it is a long shot even with a great GMAT. I realized after the fact that the verbal/quant scores were out of whack and that score is dominated by the verbal and the quant would probably be a red flag. I should have just asked what type of GMAT would I need to be considered at HBS, Wharton, Tuck, Booth, and Columbia without being marked DOA. I plan to take the GMAT this fall, I just finished the CFA which I studied 400 hours for each level the last 3 years so I will have a considerable amount of time to dedicate to studying for the GMAT.

Thank You,
Galan

Galan,

I'm sorry it has taken so long for me to respond. I got snowed.

In any case, I do think that a balanced 720 in light of your CFA and MiF would keep you in the running at these top schools despite the low GPA. Obviously, everything else has to be impressive. You may also want to consider LBS.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog