Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 16:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - UCLA FEMBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.73
WE: Analyst (Real Estate)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Profile Evaluation - UCLA FEMBA [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2013, 09:06
I'm wondering what my chances are for getting into UCLA Anderson's FEMBA program. A bit about me:

Graduated in 2010 from USC with a B.S. in Public Policy, Planning and Management with an emphasis in Real Estate Development and Finance. My undergrad GPA was 3.73.

While in undergrad I interned 24 hours per week with a small real estate private equity group. Additionally, I helped start TIG (Trojan Investing Group), a group of students that met on a weekly basis to discuss value investing. I was part of a fraternity and heavily involved in TREA (Trojan Real Estate Association). I was part of a real estate case competition team that won first place against (Wharton, University of Singapore, Univerity of Texas, University of Wisconsin, University of Colorado Boulder, University of Aukland New Zealand, etc).

Upon graduation, I joined a mid-size real estate private equity group where I spent two years as an analyst. Worked on many projects and got a lot of exposure to different types of deals.

Last year, I moved to a top 10 real estate advisory/real estate private equity firm. Although I am an analyst, my role is more that of an associate. I work directly with the SVP of Acquisitions and handle everything from the underwriting to due diligence to closing of new deals. There is no one working between the SVP and myself.

My GMAT is scheduled for November 23rd. Thus far I’ve taken three MGMAT CAT’s and have scored between 630 and 640. My verbal is in the 90th percentile whereas my quant is in the 50th percentile. I’m working very hard on my quant to hopefully get it up to the 60th percentile which would likely result in a score around 670-680.

UCLA will be the only program I'm applying to. I believe it is one of the best MBA programs in the country. I’m not looking at any other options at this point since I'm looking to continue working as I earn my MBA.

I'm a first generation Mexican / Cuban American and am part of ULI Young Leaders.

Taking all that into consideration, what are my chances with both my current GMAT score of around 650 with 50th percentile in quant and a GMAT score of around 680 with a 60th percentile in quant? Keep in mind I work in an industry that is moderately heavy in quant. I'm aiming to apply in the second round.

Thanks.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile Evaluation - UCLA FEMBA [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 11:33
Expert's post
You should get in there. Not only do you have some advantages as a first generation hispanic American, the admissions committee is more lenient on ambitious, career driven professionals for their PT program than the FT program because the stats are not admissible to the rankings boards (just their full time stats). They understand working pros do not have the same amount of time to prep for the GMAT as some of the FT applicants and should find favor with your work experience and dedication to your industry which reaches all the way back into college. We have some great UCLA grads on staff, so let us know if we can be helpful.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Current Student
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.73
WE: Analyst (Real Estate)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: Profile Evaluation - UCLA FEMBA [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 11:45
bryantmichaels wrote:
You should get in there. Not only do you have some advantages as a first generation hispanic American, the admissions committee is more lenient on ambitious, career driven professionals for their PT program than the FT program because the stats are not admissible to the rankings boards (just their full time stats). They understand working pros do not have the same amount of time to prep for the GMAT as some of the FT applicants and should find favor with your work experience and dedication to your industry which reaches all the way back into college. We have some great UCLA grads on staff, so let us know if we can be helpful.

Thanks for the feedback! I just hit a 690 on my GMAT Prep test this last weekend so I think I'm on the right track. I'll let you know if I encounter anything I need some help with.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile Evaluation - UCLA FEMBA [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 12:20
Expert's post
nicely done! good luck

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews