Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 09:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Under Grad through distant edu

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 9

Profile Evaluation - Under Grad through distant edu [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 05:27
I am planning to apply for Fall intake for Masters in management program.

Schools Considering: LBS/ HEC Paris/ Duke MIM / LSE

Profile: I am a Chartered Accountant student from India, having 3.5 years of articleship experience. I have appeared for my final exams and awaiting results. I have started pursuing CA ( A professional qualification) after my 12th grade( schooling). As a result, could do my Under grad, namely B.Com only through Distant education and have obtained degree in "First Class" being 62 %.

I shall be working once i am done with my CA tentatively by August.

Since, I dont have an Under grad through College, and CA being a professional course kindly let know whether will I qualify for admission to MIM program in Europe or US.

Also let me know, should i write IELTS or TOEFL?
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - Under Grad through distant edu [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 22:54
Expert's post
Hey there, and thanks for dropping by,
I'm afraid that without an undergraduate degree, you will not be eligible for most Masters degrees which have an UG degree as a pre-requisite. You should check with each school's policy individually, but I don't think it will be possible. Also, the programs you have mentioned are VERY competitive, and the likelihood of you getting accepted without a degree, even if they would allow it, is very low. If you are interested in a Masters degree, maybe you can find a way to do some sort of UG diploma perhaps online or by correspondence?

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation - Under Grad through distant edu [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2013, 06:57
I have B Com through Correspondence. Still I am not eligible?
Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - Under Grad through distant edu [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2013, 23:54
Expert's post
Ah of course you are! I think I misunderstood that you don't have a an undergrad at all!
Great to hear (phew)... so let's move on.
My first question to you is if you have 3.5 years experience, why do you want an MiM and not an MBA? I feel you may have too much experience for an MiM, and anyhow, I feel that the MBA is the stronger program.

Other than that, do you have a GMAT score already? Any volunteer experience or notable extra curriculars that you would like to write about? Can you also write a bit more about who you work for, whether you have any leadership experience, and whether you have been promoted, and then we can also think about where you might apply.

Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation - Under Grad through distant edu [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2013, 00:15
Thank you for the reply. Based on What I heard by inquiring with peers, Acquiring an MBA in Good B School requires minimum on 2 + Post qualification work experience. My Articleship work exp of 3.5 years is a pre qualification full time experience. So, I guess my profile would not fit for an MBA Program. What do you suggest? Can you let me know if ther are any good MIM programs in the US ( Apart Duke MIM )? Since, I am a young candidate yet to join a full time job post qualification, I decided to apply for MIM program. I will be taking up gmat shortly.
Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - Under Grad through distant edu [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2013, 22:52
Expert's post
I see... It's pre-qual work.
In that case maybe a Masters in Management IS right for you.
Once again there aren't thaaaaaaat many in the US, so consider opening your mind to Europe schools too.

The two most reliable lists of MiM programs are:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_master_of_science_in_management_degrees
and: http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... ement-2012

So that's the best place to start.

Good luck on your GMAT! And once you get your score, let me know how you do, and we can think about which schools might be right for you!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com