Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 05:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation- Unemployed/Reapplicant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation- Unemployed/Reapplicant [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 11:25
Hi, thanks in advance for your help. I've got a somewhat unique situation. This past spring in March 2011 I quit my job on a hedge fund trading desk after the fund experienced some signficant losses and submitted some somewhat hurried last minute final round applications.

Profile: USA, white male, age 26
Work experience: >3 years at quantitative HF
Area of interest: Finance
Education: 3.4 cumulative GPA (3.7 major) , Business Admin, Top-public university
GMAT: 760
EC's: decent
Rec's and essays: pretty good

Last year:
CBS- April round- int + WL -> rejection
Booth- R3- int + WL -> rejection
Tuck- R4- int -> rejected but encouraged to reapply
Yale- R3- rejected w/o int

During the past six months I've been out of work I've been trying to stay active and round out my candidacy by doing some volunteer work, travelling, and I'm enrolled in two classes.

I'm hoping applying in R1 this year will be a big advantage over R3 last year which ended up being a mistake. I'm wondering if being out of work would completely offset this advantage in your opinion. I really want to avoid being rejected everywhere again this year.

Here's where I'm thinking of applying:
Tuck re-app R1
Yale re-app R1
Booth re-app R1
NYU R1
Cornell R1

To be honest I'm somewhat encouraged by the fact I was waitlisted at Booth and CBS in the past given they knew I had already left my previous firm. Am I crazy to think I have a good shot at the schools above given I'm still not currently working? Would you suggest I focus on some safer schools?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 526 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation- Unemployed/Reapplicant [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2011, 11:35
Practically speaking, you have no control over what they think at this point - R1 deadlines are coming up, so you should be focusing on doing the best you can on the applications. Why worry about whether it's a negative or not? What good will that do you? Whether you have a good shot or not is irrelevant at this point -- you're either going to submit for the R1 deadlines or you're not. As for safer schools - that is really up to you whether you feel it's worth it given your professional background to date.

When you're in the midst of putting together applications, the last thing you want to do is play head games with yourself about your chances. That's something to think about in the spring/early summer when you're months before actually putting pen to paper, or after the decisions when you are reflecting back on what happened. Not now.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation- Unemployed/Reapplicant [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2011, 12:59
Thanks for the prompt response. I agree that time spent over-analyzing things can be better used improving applications. I was just finalizing the exact list of schools I want to apply to in the first round and since my situation is unique I was trying to see if my list is on the right track.
Re: Profile Evaluation- Unemployed/Reapplicant   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2011, 12:59