I would like to know my chances at business schools in the USA. It would help me decide if I should try applying thr or find something in India. If I go abroad I would want to go for a Top 10-15 program.
Academics: Class X (School): 84%
Class XII (High School): 76%
Engineering (I am a Computer Engineer): 7.62/10
Extra-Curricular: I have decent extra-Curricular involvement these include-
1) Captain College Basketball Team: I wasn't in the team during my first year but went on to captain it. Lead the team to quater-finals at a national level tournament.
2) Lead Vocalist for a Band.
3) Editor College magazine.
4) I co-founded an Evening School for Underprivileged children, it still continues to this day.
5) Member college cricket team.
6) Co-Ordinator college annual Festival.
7) Debates and Quizzes at School level.
Work: In december I will complete 3 years in work.
1) I started as an Indian IT male with Infosys (10months) but I always had a thing for business studies/entrepreneurship. I knew MALE IT tag would hinder my dreams of a great B-School so I decided to pursue my entrepreneurial dreams.
2) Left infosys to start a venture that did not materialize but my interactions with entrepreneurs led me to an Educational start-up, test preparation company (mbaguru) and I started discussing ADAPTIVE LEARNING with them.
MBAGuru asked me to join them and implement ADAPTIVE learning. It has been a very entrepreneurial experience where I handle a lot of things including (2 years with them):
a) Product Development & Implementation (I work with the tech team to develop our online adaptive learning system).
b) Marketing - Basically online and social media marketing is something only I handle, my inputs are also taken in other marketing initiatives.
c) CSR- I started the organization's CSR initiative. Tied up with an NGO to support Girl education. Help in Fundraising, volunteering and marketing thr products.
c) Innovation: Fields like gamification of edu. Currently building a game for CAT (indian test) preparation. Again I head the project.
d) I also pitch in when it comes to sales and a little bit of teaching. Teaching would include some English/Business basics/Communication and soft skills.
I sit with cofounders and discuss strategy and get a holistic view of a business. I think 2 years in a small start up are worth 4 anywhere else. Made excellent connections with other entrepreneurs (one I work closely is starting a crowd funding platform in the US).
Post-MBA (Short term) - Work for a few years in a top consulting firm. Will again help in networking/learning and paying back my loan.
5 year post MBA: A start-up and a venture of my own. The field is undecided but I have a soft spot for online based models.
Very Long Term: Give back whatever I have learnt to the students. Teach at a good B-school and retire.
I think I have described in as much detail as I can. Hopefully I will get a decent response. Please ask any further questions that will help in decoding my chances.
Thanks and Regards,
You have a very interesting profile, coupled with a good GMAT score.
You should definately apply to the US b-schools. Important here will be how well you articulate your story, specifically about your career goals.
Since you have already done so much entrepreneurial work, I wonder why you would not want to start a venture just after b-school.
Thank you so much for your reply.
I have a couple of reasons for working for wanting to work for a little while with a top Strategy Consulting firm (I am looking at the likes of McKinsey/Bain/BCG/Roland Berger):
1) First is completely learning based. You work with the best minds solving real life business problems, a new one every few months. Apart from learning the network built, the credibility garnered and the experience as a whole I think will help me. I have seen a very logical and data driven approach followed by some of my acquaintances in the field which I find a wonderful quality to develop. All this will help me in my entrepreneurial ambitions.
2) I have absolutely no funds of my own to fund my studies
. Every single penny will be a loan/scholarship which will be required to be paid back (this is a very major reason).
This also the reason I am looking at only top-10 programs because I would expect an ROI and a career progression to counter the financial setback I will encounter heading to the US.
Can you help me with some programs I might have a chance at, is H/S/W even a possibility. My only downside is a not so good College, otherwise I think I have decent acads and have tried to do much more than academics. I have also tried to take newer different directions, hence left IT for something new, a chance very few would actually take. My second stint with a start-up was something I made for myself, telling them what they can do with thr company and whr I fit in. The co-founders are IIT/IIM's and I will get their recommendations. I will also get recommendations from the founder NGO I tied up with for our CSR initiatives as I work directly with her and have helped in a variety of ways.
Please do send in your inputs. I would appreciate some colleges I might have a chance at.