Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 10:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Where can I find a place!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation - Where can I find a place! [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 04:16
Hi,

I would like to know my chances at business schools in the USA. It would help me decide if I should try applying thr or find something in India. If I go abroad I would want to go for a Top 10-15 program.

GMAT: 740

Academics: Class X (School): 84%
Class XII (High School): 76%
Engineering (I am a Computer Engineer): 7.62/10

Extra-Curricular: I have decent extra-Curricular involvement these include-

1) Captain College Basketball Team: I wasn't in the team during my first year but went on to captain it. Lead the team to quater-finals at a national level tournament.
2) Lead Vocalist for a Band.
3) Editor College magazine.
4) I co-founded an Evening School for Underprivileged children, it still continues to this day.
5) Member college cricket team.
6) Co-Ordinator college annual Festival.
7) Debates and Quizzes at School level.

Work: In december I will complete 3 years in work.

1) I started as an Indian IT male with Infosys (10months) but I always had a thing for business studies/entrepreneurship. I knew MALE IT tag would hinder my dreams of a great B-School so I decided to pursue my entrepreneurial dreams.
2) Left infosys to start a venture that did not materialize but my interactions with entrepreneurs led me to an Educational start-up, test preparation company (mbaguru) and I started discussing ADAPTIVE LEARNING with them.
MBAGuru asked me to join them and implement ADAPTIVE learning. It has been a very entrepreneurial experience where I handle a lot of things including (2 years with them):

a) Product Development & Implementation (I work with the tech team to develop our online adaptive learning system).
b) Marketing - Basically online and social media marketing is something only I handle, my inputs are also taken in other marketing initiatives.
c) CSR- I started the organization's CSR initiative. Tied up with an NGO to support Girl education. Help in Fundraising, volunteering and marketing thr products.
c) Innovation: Fields like gamification of edu. Currently building a game for CAT (indian test) preparation. Again I head the project.
d) I also pitch in when it comes to sales and a little bit of teaching. Teaching would include some English/Business basics/Communication and soft skills.

I sit with cofounders and discuss strategy and get a holistic view of a business. I think 2 years in a small start up are worth 4 anywhere else. Made excellent connections with other entrepreneurs (one I work closely is starting a crowd funding platform in the US).

GOALS:

Post-MBA (Short term) - Work for a few years in a top consulting firm. Will again help in networking/learning and paying back my loan.

5 year post MBA: A start-up and a venture of my own. The field is undecided but I have a soft spot for online based models.

Very Long Term: Give back whatever I have learnt to the students. Teach at a good B-school and retire.

I think I have described in as much detail as I can. Hopefully I will get a decent response. Please ask any further questions that will help in decoding my chances.

Thanks and Regards,
Akhil
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 5

Re: Profile Evaluation - Where can I find a place! [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 06:22
asuhag wrote:
Hi,

I would like to know my chances at business schools in the USA. It would help me decide if I should try applying thr or find something in India. If I go abroad I would want to go for a Top 10-15 program.

1) Captain College Basketball Team: I wasn't in the team during my first year but went on to captain it. Lead the team to quater-finals at a national level tournament.
4) I co-founded an Evening School for Underprivileged children, it still continues to this day.

1) I started as an Indian IT male with Infosys (10months) but I always had a thing for business studies/entrepreneurship. I knew MALE IT tag would hinder my dreams of a great B-School so I decided to pursue my entrepreneurial dreams.
2) Left infosys to start a venture that did not materialize but my interactions with entrepreneurs led me to an Educational start-up, test preparation company (mbaguru) and I started discussing ADAPTIVE LEARNING with them.
MBAGuru asked me to join them and implement ADAPTIVE learning. It has been a very entrepreneurial experience where I handle a lot of things including (2 years with them):

a) Product Development & Implementation (I work with the tech team to develop our online adaptive learning system).
b) Marketing - Basically online and social media marketing is something only I handle, my inputs are also taken in other marketing initiatives.
c) CSR- I started the organization's CSR initiative. Tied up with an NGO to support Girl education. Help in Fundraising, volunteering and marketing thr products.
c) Innovation: Fields like gamification of edu. Currently building a game for CAT (indian test) preparation. Again I head the project.
d) I also pitch in when it comes to sales and a little bit of teaching. Teaching would include some English/Business basics/Communication and soft skills.

I sit with cofounders and discuss strategy and get a holistic view of a business. I think 2 years in a small start up are worth 4 anywhere else. Made excellent connections with other entrepreneurs (one I work closely is starting a crowd funding platform in the US).

GOALS:

Post-MBA (Short term) - Work for a few years in a top consulting firm. Will again help in networking/learning and paying back my loan.

5 year post MBA: A start-up and a venture of my own. The field is undecided but I have a soft spot for online based models.

Very Long Term: Give back whatever I have learnt to the students. Teach at a good B-school and retire.

I think I have described in as much detail as I can. Hopefully I will get a decent response. Please ask any further questions that will help in decoding my chances.

Thanks and Regards,
Akhil

Akhil,

You have a very interesting profile, coupled with a good GMAT score.

You should definately apply to the US b-schools. Important here will be how well you articulate your story, specifically about your career goals.
Since you have already done so much entrepreneurial work, I wonder why you would not want to start a venture just after b-school.

Namita
www.mbadecoder.com

Namita Garg
http://www.mbadecoder.com
contact@mbadecoder.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - Where can I find a place! [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 08:36
MBAHelp wrote:
asuhag wrote:
Hi,

GOALS:

Thanks and Regards,
Akhil

Akhil,

You have a very interesting profile, coupled with a good GMAT score.

You should definately apply to the US b-schools. Important here will be how well you articulate your story, specifically about your career goals.
Since you have already done so much entrepreneurial work, I wonder why you would not want to start a venture just after b-school.

Namita
http://www.mbadecoder.com

Namita,

Thank you so much for your reply.
I have a couple of reasons for working for wanting to work for a little while with a top Strategy Consulting firm (I am looking at the likes of McKinsey/Bain/BCG/Roland Berger):

1) First is completely learning based. You work with the best minds solving real life business problems, a new one every few months. Apart from learning the network built, the credibility garnered and the experience as a whole I think will help me. I have seen a very logical and data driven approach followed by some of my acquaintances in the field which I find a wonderful quality to develop. All this will help me in my entrepreneurial ambitions.

2) I have absolutely no funds of my own to fund my studies :). Every single penny will be a loan/scholarship which will be required to be paid back (this is a very major reason).

This also the reason I am looking at only top-10 programs because I would expect an ROI and a career progression to counter the financial setback I will encounter heading to the US.

Can you help me with some programs I might have a chance at, is H/S/W even a possibility. My only downside is a not so good College, otherwise I think I have decent acads and have tried to do much more than academics. I have also tried to take newer different directions, hence left IT for something new, a chance very few would actually take. My second stint with a start-up was something I made for myself, telling them what they can do with thr company and whr I fit in. The co-founders are IIT/IIM's and I will get their recommendations. I will also get recommendations from the founder NGO I tied up with for our CSR initiatives as I work directly with her and have helped in a variety of ways.

Please do send in your inputs. I would appreciate some colleges I might have a chance at.
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 456 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - Where can I find a place! [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2012, 02:46
Expert's post
Hey Akhil,
A top 10 should be within range for you. H/S/W is always a tough call for Indian candidates. You're not a shoe-in, but you DO have a chance. Besides the entrepreneurial work, what I like is your being captain of the basketball team, and lead vocalist. Very great stuff,a s well see too many successful candidates with great GMATs who are just too "plain vanilla" and you have some great stuff on the side, and you should maximize that.

Also, from your post, I didn't get a clear idea of the size/growth of the startup in which you work, as this will play a role also. (in general, the bigger the better). The question is: How will YOU get into Harvard? :)
Or any other top school?

And I think that you have the numbers, you have the background. Your work experience is good, but it is certainly middle-of-the-road. So not something where a priori, I can say "This dude is getting in for sure!" So it's gonna have to be your essays. Your stories. Your self. Your vision. Your dreams. This is what will make the major difference for you. And since the essays are already starting to come out, I would say: get to work!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | The Team | Get a Free Consultation | 2013-2014 Essay Analyses

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: Profile Evaluation - Where can I find a place!   [#permalink] 15 Jun 2012, 02:46