Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 04:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation with a focus on healthcare

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
WE: Engineering (Health Care)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 27

Profile evaluation with a focus on healthcare [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 06:44
Hi Paul,

My GMAT appointment is in April, but I'm anxious to know your opinion about my profile. Bear with me, this is a little long.

Indian, Female, Age 25, applying for the 2013 intake
3.5 years of work ex, 2 years in TCS and presently an associate consultant at Siemens Healthcare. Will have 5 years of experience on matriculation.
2 promotions in 3 years
Undergrad: Bachelors in Biomedical Engineering, 7.99/10 CGPA (first class), from a non IIT but well known university.

I grew up in the Middle East and then moved to India for my undergrad. Was founder and co chair of a social venture in college that conducted outreach programs to disadvantaged children. This organization continues and is in its sixth year now.

I've been in the healthcare domain for almost 4 years. At TCS, I got to do mostly IT stuff, except for four months when I handled the entire financial and project management operations for an account and received a lot of praise from my account managers.
I wanted to pursue a career in healthcare, so I took up my current job at Siemens. My career growth has been very swift here. After my first year, I was promoted and awarded Best Team Player of the year in my department. I should add that I am 1-2 years younger than my peers and I'm currently in the top 20 percent in my department of a 100+ people.

My official role is to test our product before it is shipped, but I handle a lot of responsibilities that are outside of my job description. I began mentoring new hires when I was 6 months into the job. I also give a couple of presentations from time to time. I've worked on our product from conception to shipping and I've handled 80% of our testing work by myself. I've created a couple of processes that has helped reduce our turn around time from days to a matter of hours.
I haven't been on an international assignment, but I have a multicultural team that I work with on a daily basis. I also help out my colleagues with their presentations and communication skills, and occasionally, I've sat in for my manager and taken decisions on his behalf. Also, I analyze and interpret volumes of data, so I'm very comfortable with graphs and excel sheets :)

I did a brief stint with an NGO that helps integrate blind people into society, and with a non profit that provides free counseling and placement services to physically and mentally challenged people. I am now working with a couple of friends to set up a social venture that provides employment to the physically challenged. I am also involved in rolling out corporate social responsibility initiatives in my department. If successful, this will be the first time in 10 years that our department will have a CSR program in place.

Other activities: I'm the breadwinner in the family. My mother decided to go back to college, and I'm supporting her with tuition and I help her out with her coursework and presentations. I also play the cello. I speak intermediate French and I'll work to make myself fluent in it once the GMAT is over.

I'm interested in healthcare product management, the roles that require a lot of marketing skills (what I want from the MBA) and technical skills (what I have). This is a natural progression for me. That said, I don't want to be pigeon holed or end up with few options and so I'm not looking at healthcare programs, but rather at your general MBA with healthcare electives.

Since I want an all round experience, Tuck is my first choice. Other colleges would be Ross, Goizueta and Fuqua. This is all assuming I get a GMAT of at least 740. But I'm concerned that these colleges are out of reach for me.
What do you think Paul? Could you also suggest any other colleges that I should look into? Sorry about the long post and thanks so much for your help!

Pru

My MBA application journey, one step at a time https://spoonfulofmba.wordpress.com

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 195

Re: Profile evaluation with a focus on healthcare [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 21:37
Expert's post
This reply is hidden until the winner is announced.

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
WE: Engineering (Health Care)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 27

Re: Profile evaluation with a focus on healthcare [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2012, 22:57

My MBA application journey, one step at a time https://spoonfulofmba.wordpress.com

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 195

Re: Profile evaluation with a focus on healthcare [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 01:55
Expert's post

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton