Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Aug 2014, 00:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation would be a great help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Profile Evaluation would be a great help [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2013, 03:16
1. Work experience : am working as an IT consultant for one of UK's biggest hedge fund, my role is a mixture of business analysis as well as IT development and I have excellent client interaction and good knowledge of the hedge fund industry. I have been working here for the past 1 year and have recieved a promotion. Mentor the new joiners in the team and also interview new joinees to see if they are a good fit for the project

Also did a 6 month long internship with a telecommunications company to design the telecommunication system of a metro

2. GMAT : 750 q50 v41 ir8 awa4.5

3. Pec university of technology, India GPA 7.05/10 2012

4. Extra currics : Tutor neighbouring kids math and english
Developed and launched an android app
Helped set up the IT infrastructure of a local film production house by hiring interns from iit
Have a tech blog.
Have played sports at school and college level

5. Certs : none

6. Target programs: UCLA, HAAS, NYU Stern, MIT Sloan

7. I will apply R1 2014 so that i have 3 years of work ex at the time of matriculation

8. I have deep interest in technology and post mba want to work in a Product Managment role with top tech companies.

The schools I have mentioned might be a stretch but are the best in the technology sector and hence are my top priorities
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 128 [1] , given: 22

Re: Profile Evaluation would be a great help [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 07:07
This post received
KUDOS
Hi kusum797 - thanks for asking for our input on your profile. You have a lot of strengths that we can see already, and it appears you're going at this the right way, given the fact that you're starting to prepare now even though you don't think you'll even be applying for another year. Your GMAT is obviously very strong (the AWA is low but we're not overly concerned about it) and the rest of your background looks strong. While you are hitting up against the "Indian male engineer" profile there's also some ways you appear to be breaking out of that mold, which is great. Plus the fact that you're in the UK does add some value - international experience is always valued at these schools.

Let's talk about your plans for when to apply. All the schools on your list prefer applicants to have more work experience, especially NYU which looks for some significant history. The average age at most of these schools is 28 or even 29 in the case of UCLA.

However, it's always about quality, not quantity. We can't really tell from the brief sketch you've provided but it looks like you're really engaged at work and doing lots of good things. If you feel that you would benefit from going back to school sooner, then you might want to consider trying this year - you're coming at it early enough in the season that maybe it's an option for you. Some schools are more open to the early-career candidates. Booth comes to mind as one to consider, though they maybe aren't top-of-mind for technology. You have certainly selected the schools that we would've nominated for you, given that that's your focus.

The other thing of course is that some of these schools (Haas) probably will require a TOEFL from you. Don't take that test too early since it's got only a 2-year application window; it would be a shame for it to expire before you got in with one of your apps. MIT doesn't require the TOEFL for anyone so you wouldn't need to worry about it there, and other schools will waive the requirement since English was the language of instruction at your Indian college.

You didn't mention your college degree so maybe this doesn't apply, but you should know that both Haas and Anderson are not as keen on the 3-year bachelor's; if yours is a 4-year degree then you're more competitive at those two schools.

No matter when you decide to apply, keep doing what you're doing in terms of going for the important projects and finding ways to add value at work and in the community. Evidence that you're that type of achievement-oriented individual is what all the schools look for and it's the way to present a great app - and the way to live a great life, if we want to get all philosophical about it. :-)

Thanks for hitting us up, let us know if we can help along the way!
EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation would be a great help [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 04:14
Thanks for the kind words and advice EssaySnark...

Will definitely get in touch in case I need any help..
Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation would be a great help [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 23:38
Hi,

I had another question if you don't mind answering..

Can you suggest any other top schools which are tech focused?

Many thanks

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 22

Re: Profile Evaluation would be a great help [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2013, 09:03
kusum797 wrote:
Can you suggest any other top schools which are tech focused?

You already named some of the heavy-hitters, with the most obvious school is probably MIT Sloan. Great program and lots of opportunity to collaborate across the entire MIT campus. Huge benefits there, big startup mentality, they have Silicon Valley treks too. UCLA is also an excellent choice, and Haas too, partly due to the advantage of proximity to the tech hubs.

The other one to look at is Duke; they're one of the few schools with a formal Product Management concentration. And moving down the rankings a bit you get UT-Austin and Tepper, both of which are awesome programs, very friendly, very flexible in admissions, both with great strength in technology.

If you have others you're considering, feel free to let us know which ones and we can offer some feedback.

EssaySnark

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation would be a great help [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2013, 09:43
Thanks for the suggestions...

Last question. Could you elaborate what you meant by "flexible in admissions"?

Many Thanks

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 22

Re: Profile Evaluation would be a great help [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2013, 08:39
When we say "flexible" we mean that they're more open to a range of GMAT scores or GPAs - that the basic stats of a profile aren't quite as important at that school. Those datapoints are still significant but some schools don't put as much weight on it, and/or they have slightly lower averages of accepted students for both those metrics. These are the schools that an Indian engineer/IT guy with a very strong set of stats will have an easier time with, and if someone has more pronounced flaws in the profile then these schools are often a better bet, provided that the applicant can 'wow' with the rest of the application.

Re: Profile Evaluation would be a great help   [#permalink] 26 Jul 2013, 08:39