Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 07:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evalution & how to choose right consultants ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: columbia, chicago, Insead, wharton
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Profile evalution & how to choose right consultants ? [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 10:44
Demographics: Indian, Male, 30 years
Gmat: 680, Q45, V 38, AWA 6 - [Irony - took Gmat 3 times already.]
Education: Undergraduate - Engineering from India - 76%
Graduate: M S - Computer Science - UT Arlington
Extra curriculars - Best outgoing student - Undergraduation. Representative - Work life balance group in Office - Organization wise Table tennis tournaments for 2 years. Local Yoga club member
Work experience: software engineer in 6 years in a top Tech company - Part of the core team members to launch a brand new product - took from a prototype to a 50+ million dollar product;
Community service: One of Founding members - Ameture Drama troupe - conduct stage drama every year. Successfully donated proceeds to selected charities every year for 5 years now.
Post MBA goals: Management consulting - short term. Long term - Move back to India to join family business.

Target schools: Wharton, Tuck, Kellogg, LBS, Insead, Booth

I would appreciate if you can advice on my GMAT score given that I had already taken it 3 times.
I am also looking to work with admission consultants. So I greatly appreciate directions on how to
a. Choose the right consultants ?
b. Get contacts for consultants ?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Status: One Consultant. Unparalleled Experience. Unlimited Support. - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Stanford admit rate 2013: 100%
GMAT 1: 740 Q V
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: Profile evalution & how to choose right consultants ? [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 05:29
Thanks for your post, please find comments below.

Ok, so you are above average for age, this will count against you a little
At least the verbal is what is hurting you, still not good but better than quant given your background
Which school? Big difference between IIT and others
While less important, graduate GPA?
Extra curriculars - Best outgoing student - Undergraduation. Representative - Work life balance group in Office - Organization wise Table tennis tournaments for 2 years. Local Yoga club member
Any leadership activities? Mentoring, nonprofit, running small company, etc?
Work experience: software engineer in 6 years in a top Tech company - Part of the core team members to launch a brand new product - took from a prototype to a 50+ million dollar product;
How much business exposure did you get? Involved in marketing, biz dev as part of the product launch? Leadership at work? Manage people?
Community service: One of Founding members - Ameture Drama troupe - conduct stage drama every year. Successfully donated proceeds to selected charities every year for 5 years now.
Ok so this is good, you can work with this
Post MBA goals: Management consulting - short term. Long term - Move back to India to join family business.
What is the family business? Why consulting for you specifically?
This is an ambitious list given your background. What company do you work for? I would say to dial down your list because Wharton will be a big stretch for you, I don't see great chances there, similar with Kellogg, and Booth. Have you looked at any second tier schools. Reasons being: 1) Your age 2) Your undergrad (though school tbd) 3) job experience...good but very typical for folks like you and these folks often have 750 GMAT, IIT, and are younger

I would appreciate if you can advice on my GMAT score given that I had already taken it 3 times.
Not much advice on GMAT, do you think you can improve it? I can recommend courses, books etc but after 3 times I assume this is your score. Nothing else to do then besides focus on the rest of the application.
I am also looking to work with admission consultants. So I greatly appreciate directions on how to
This should be a factor of how comfortable you feel with someone. Reach out to a few of them, have a discussion, see what they all offer and how it differs. The nuances will be small, but we are all different!
Search through this website.....lots of people post here.

In any case, reach out for any specific questions you have. While I was not as positive about your school choices, you can do a combination of reach and non reach schools

-Scott
scott@personalmbacoach.com
www.personalmbacoach.com
--Free application strategy discussion & initial essay review
--Insider tips and mock interview preparation

Scott Edinburgh
Personal MBA Coach
scott@personalmbacoach.com
http://www.personalmbacoach.com
--Free consultation & application strategy discussion

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evalution & how to choose right consultants ? [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 23:51
Hi Kulki,

Since you are aiming for top schools then a score above 700 is desirable. However GMAT alone won’t determine your chances of admission; beyond the academics will also help you in determining your candidature and your work experience plays a vital role as well. In general most of the Indian applicants are from engineering background with a good 4-5 years of work experience. So you would need to differentiate yourself from others . Start thinking what makes you unique and what’s that ‘hook’ that will be key to your application. Make sure you follow the ‘show rather than tell’ principle so that the admissions committee could really understand your strengths and differentiating factors Although it is not just the work experience that counts but also what you did there like-what were your achievements, what initiative you took, what changes you drove in your workplace etc. So you need to ensure that in 6 years of work experience you have demonstrated the skills business schools are looking for. This could still put in a strong set of essays for you.
Do contact us if you need further assistance.

Thanks!
Kavita Singh
FutureWorks Consulting
Pre Application Strategies|Admission Consulting |Pre-Departure Coaching|Workshops

Find out where you stand with our Free Assessment Test or drop your resume at kavita@futureworks.co.in

Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evalution & how to choose right consultants ? [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 23:21
kulki wrote:

Hi Kulki,

Your extra curriculars looks good and international exp and MS degree will help.
However we feel that your choice of schools is driven by that fact that you want to get into consultancy and not by whether these schools will like a profile/ gmat score which you offer.

We would recommend shortlisting schools which are good for GM, technology and are also decent for consultancy e.g. CMU Tepper and apply to these with a technology e.g. product manager goal kind of story. This will give you a better chance to crack the admission.

Hope we are making sense here.

If you can use various aspects of your profile well and present strong essays and LOR, you need not take GMAT again.

Apphelp Team

Apphelp : India's # 1 MBA admissions consultancy

Preparing for GMAT? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?
All these questions have a single answer : APPHELP (apphelp.co.in)
Phone: +91 9871354580
Blog: http://www.blog.apphelp.co.in
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/apphelpconsulting

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evalution & how to choose right consultants ? [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 23:48
Will have to agree on that school list being too ambitious. Perhaps you could apply to a couple from that list and then apply to few other which are more in range.

Also, you would really have to justify management consulting as a goal in reference to your career path.

As for admission consultants, a lot of people (including us at http://www.colormeone.com) offer free profile or essay evaluations. So simply dropping some mails can give you a fair idea on a) if you are comfortable with the consultant and b) if you are getting value for money.

Good Luck!

Color Me One MBA Admission Consulting

Brand Your MBA Application

Contact us for a free essay evaluation!
Re: Profile evalution & how to choose right consultants ?   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2011, 23:48