Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 05:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile for MBA-please evaluate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Profile for MBA-please evaluate [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2007, 14:33
Hi,

Please could you evaluate my profile and let me know the schools that I should target and my chances.

Work Ex-4+ yrs in Environmental Engg. Consulting
Licenses: Registered PE
Grad GPA: 3.6
Undergrad GPA: 4.0

Leadership:
Leading Company's Sustainable Business Development Strategy
Pacific Northwest Section Rep (Society for Women Engg-SWE)

Volunteer Work:
Volunteer time with Non-profit supporting education for children in India
Volunteering work for Tsunami Relief Efforts

Post MBA Goal:
Shift to Corporate Strategy for CSR or Sustainable Development

Target Schools:
HBS
MIT
Stanford
Cal Berkeley

Any additional information to evaluate the profile?

Thanks for your help.

Believe in yourself.

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 46

[#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2007, 18:27
Expert's post
Your environmental engineering background and your interest in sutainable development connect with each other nicely, and this should help you stand out some in the applicant pool.

Regarding extracurriculars, your leadership experiences sound more interesting that your volunteer work. Remember to go for quality, not quantity... Something where you've showed continuous commitment is much more valuable than something we're you've just volunteered a few times.

If you're interested in CSR, be sure to consider Yale. Also, as Kellogg alum, I can tell you that CSR is big and growing there. Also, if you're interested in Northwestern's law school, we offer law school admissions consulting services.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2007, 10:11
Thanks for the evaluation Scott. I wasn't aware of Yale's program with a focus on CSR.

Yeah my volunteer work is really over a period of 4 years that I have been associated with this organization.

I am hoping to get into CSR because that ties my Environmental background. But really I want to get more into Corporate Strategy/Marketting type of a thing.

The biggest reason for the MBA is that big corporations don't consider my background substantial for such roles, they are looking for an MBA even though CSR and Sustainable Business Development is my area.

Any ideas on what the best strategy for making a really good case would be?

Believe in yourself.

Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2007, 11:11
Expert's post
I actually don't think that this will be much of an issue for you. As long as you show that you have the intellect and leadership abilities, those corporations won't care much about yoru background. Most people in business school are career switchers!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2007, 12:38
Thanks Scott. True..but I also think that I might stand a better chance at one of the larger Consulting frims in Corporate Strategy armed with an MBA.

Yes, I don't want a dramatic switch from Engineering to Finance but I want to be more marketable and diverse with my skill sets and enter the BD area versus the technical track.

Now start the GMAT grind. Thanks for your insight. Saw your website really neat and the article in Business Week. It's great that you guys have taken this initiative to help all GMAT hopefuls.

On a side note: what do you think of a career in Sustainable BD and CSR in the current context of things?

Thanks a ton!
Joyeeta

quixx23 wrote:
I actually don't think that this will be much of an issue for you. As long as you show that you have the intellect and leadership abilities, those corporations won't care much about yoru background. Most people in business school are career switchers!

Scott

Believe in yourself.

Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2007, 14:01
Expert's post
I think it's VERY relevant in today's market. If anything, it has the potential to overheat and maybe be the "it" career choice (like private equity today) over the next few years. But this is probably the best time ever to try and get into CSR.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2007, 14:38
Thanks a ton! For the advice will keep you posted on the proceedings...

quixx23 wrote:
I think it's VERY relevant in today's market. If anything, it has the potential to overheat and maybe be the "it" career choice (like private equity today) over the next few years. But this is probably the best time ever to try and get into CSR.

Scott

Believe in yourself.