Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 10:05

Today

Waiting for Decisions? Join us in the chat | All GMAT Club Tests are Free and Open

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2012, 09:07
a

Last edited by nw02 on 06 Dec 2012, 08:17, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 348 [0], given: 64

Re: profile questions [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2012, 22:26
Expert's post
nw02 wrote:
Hello Accepted

Could you kindly review my profile below?

Statistics: 24 year old Asian male

GPA: 3.73 GPA from Northwestern University with double major in Economics (honors) and International Studies. I’ve also being taking night classes at Booth and did very well in my first class (A+) and am currently taking a second one.

GMAT: 780 (Q50/V48/AWA:6.0)

Work Experience: 3 years as an Associate Economist at the Federal Reserve. I do economic research with a particular focus on manufacturing, both for economic papers and in modeling how the economy is doing. Because of the nature of the job, I really haven’t worked in many teams or had the opportunity to lead any teams which seems to be something business schools are really looking for. Most people take this position as a precursor to getting their PH’D in economics (which I was originally planning on doing) but I decided to get my MBA after deciding research was not for me.

Extra Curricular: I’m a member of a professional hip-hop dance company that performs and competes across the region and have also taught many classes in hip-hop. I also volunteer with organizations that reach out to the homeless community, eating meals with them, getting to know them, and trying to develop relationships with them. Finally, I am pretty active in sports leagues, soccer and football IMs after college, and soccer, softball, floor hockey, basketball, frisbee, football (won championship senior year) in college.

My plan is to go to go into consulting after business school, I really enjoy my competitive strategy class at Booth and it feels like a good way break into and learn about the business world having only experience in the academic/government sector so far. Eventually I would like to go into politics and run for something but that will probably be very far in the future. Is it okay to only have a 3 year short term plan (consulting) and long term plan (politics) without a concrete mid-term plan?

I plan on applying to Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, and UChicago in the first round and then reevaluating my options from there, are these realistic targets?

Thank you for the help!

You are applying appropriately given your goals and impressive qualifications.

It would be better if you had some mid-term plan. Why don't you do a little research into what analysts do after three years at consulting firms? Look into what appeals to you so that you can plausibly answer the question, where do you see yourself in five or ten years. You are not signing any contracts -- just showing a little direction and forethought.

You might be interested in:

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog