Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 16:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile review

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA Anderson '12
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 2

Profile review [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2008, 12:13
Hello - can you help with an eval of my profile? Thank you!

Area of interest in MBA : Finance, Strategy - would like to work for a management consulting firm and eventually open my own consulting firm down the road, also would like to teach at a university level eventually.

GMAT: 670 (Q42, V40)
GPA: 3.5 (5-year UG/Grad accounting program, ranked #1 nationally)
Professional:
-Certified Public Accountant
-3 years big 4 public accounting (senior consultant)
-2 years for the largest hedge fund in Texas (senior financial reporting analyst for 1 year - rotated to trading operations where I have a less senior role)

Bio: Chinese-American Male, age 27

Extra-curriculars/community: College only - tutored for a year at lower-income neighborhood high school, reactivated business fraternity (various volunteering experiences here). Would love to start volunteering with high school students (thinking about Junior Achievement).

I've applied to and been rejected by Kellogg (which was a stretch) and am waiting on Round 2's from UC Berkeley and UCLA (no interview invites so I'm not hopeful). I would like to go to school on the West Coast and plan on moving there if MBA plans don't materialize this month, hopefully obtaining a senior job role again.

Am I reaching a bit with UCLA full time? What can I do to be more competitive? I definitely feel like I can score higher on the GMAT. I am even considering the Part Time program (for cost reasons) after moving there, maybe for 2009. How competitive am I for UCLA PT given my profile now? I'm hesitant to apply to USC b/c I feel that my undergrad alma mater, the University of Texas, is a better value and an equally regarded MBA that I have a good chance at.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 341 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile review [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2008, 10:48
Expert's post
duuuma,

Your negatives appear to be the GMAT score and the lack of post-college community/extracurriculars. Regarding UCLA's part-time program, even there your GMAT is a bit below their average but given that they admit 42% of all applicants, your odds would surely be better there. You do have a chance there, but you it's probably a slight longshot for you. I see your reasoning regarding USC; however, it is a strong program and would put you on the West Coast. Haas part-time would also be an option. You might consider UC Irvine as a "safety" if you're interested.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA Anderson '12
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 2

Re: Profile review [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2008, 07:14
Thank you Paul. A few quick follow ups. Since this first attempt of mine at applying has been a wash, if I do improve on the 2 areas you mentioned (GMAT/extra curriculum) will it really make me a competitive RE-applicant for UCLA full time? How do I stand as a candidate to USC as I am right now?

You mentioned Berkeley Part Time though it's a tougher program (statistically). Do you really feel I have chance there since UCLA's part time average numbers for their 2010 class is quite a bit lower (677 avg GMAT/3.3 GPA)?

Given my profile, are there any top schools I would be competitive at for 2008/09? (not just in the West Coast) I am not one for ''back up'' programs (UC Irvine or otherwise) as I would not want to spend that money on any school I'm not 100% committed to. Just looking for some tips on what to do next. Thanks again.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 341 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile review [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2008, 08:19
Expert's post
duuma,

Yes, if you improve in those areas you should be competitive at UCLA as a reapp. Only 4% of their admitted class are reapp students, but that doesn't reveal what their acceptance rate for reapplicants is. They only enroll about half of the people they admit, so that indicates they get dinged by a lot of applicants seeking better programs, which might improve the odds of competitive people who really do want to go there.

You seem competitive at USC to me right now. You have a smaller chance at Hass part-time than at UCLA, but the odds aren't zero. Since I thought you wanted the West Coast, it might be a longshot worth taking.

Given your goals and assuming you raise your GMAT and get some extracurricular leadership you could be competitive next fall at the following schools: Michigan, Virginia, Duke, Yale, Georgetown, Rochester, Toronto, Texas, maybe shoot for NYU Stern longshot.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog