Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 15:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Review - 710 GMAT, 5+ years experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
UCLA Thread Master
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.43
WE: Operations (Investment Banking)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 66

Profile Review - 710 GMAT, 5+ years experience [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2013, 13:04
Hello,

I would love to hear some feedback on my profile.

Demographics: 28 year old male. Half Japanese. Born in Japan, but grew up primarily in California. I lived in Japan for about 8 years.

GMAT: 710 (47Q/40V/6.0 AWA/8 IR)

Academics: 3.43 GPA from Brigham Young University. BA in Japanese with a minor in business (3.79 major GPA). Graduated in 2008. (Note: I moved back to the US when I was 10 years old and didn't speak Japanese again until I was 19. I decided to major in Japanese to deepen my understanding of the language and the culture that was such a large part of my heritage.)

Work History: 1+ years at Goldman Sachs as an operations analyst. I have been promoted once and expect to be promoted to an associate in January. At matriculation, I will have 2 and a half years at Goldman.

-Prior to Goldman, I spent 2 and a half years at an HR Consulting firm/corporate milestone and recognition award manufacturer and distributor. I worked in international operations managing client and vendor relations in Japan, China, India, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Australia. I started at the company as a general international operation rep, but moved up to managing those international client and vendor relations.

Extracurricular: In early 2011 I founded a non-profit organization to help increase community awareness of childhood sexual abuse, and to provide financial assistance to underprivileged victims in need of one-on-one counseling. We have helped several victims and I have had the chance to speak to hundreds of members of the community. I was awarded the Lieutenant Governor's Volunteer Recognition Award in 2011 for my work in the community.

-I have also been a mentor/instructor for Junior Achievement since the beginning of 2013.

-I am also an ambassador for the Trevor Project in my state, and I regularly respond to LGBT teen's questions regarding struggle they are facing in everyday life.

-I am an avid runner and have run in several marathons.

-I served a two-year mission for the LDS church in Japan. For one of those years I was a regional leader and oversaw the work and well-being of 20 to 30 other missionaries.

Post MBA goals: Short-term - To transition from operations in the financial industry into an operations leadership role in the consumer products industry (Ideally a place like Nike).

Long-term - To become of the COO of a global consumer products company and use the business knowledge and experience I have gained to become an influential leader within the community especially with youth related organizations.

Interested in feedback for Tuck, Haas, Kellogg, Sloan, Yale SOM, Darden, and Anderson.

Thanks!

Follow my reapplicant story at http://mbareapplicant84.blogspot.com/

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Review - 710 GMAT, 5+ years experience [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2013, 13:37
Expert's post
Hello,

Thanks for sharing your profile, which overall sounds like a strong profile with a lot of interesting experiences to contribute to an MBA class, which is important.

Overall I see your strengths based upon the info you shared here as follows:

-strong work experience demonstrating quantitative and analytical abilities, international exposure, leadership, and working at Goldman is a plus
-general international experiences, exposure, and language ability
-extensive community experience and accomplishments (beyond the average applicant)
-diverse set of extracurricular interests and activities
-solid GMAT score

Areas of weakness or uncertainty:

-GPA/academics are average to slightly below average
-your post-MBA goals as related to your current/previous roles.... the admissions committee will be wondering why consumer products, or just want to hear more about your post-MBA goals and how what you've learned in the prior roles will help you with your future career path. This is not necessarily a weakness as many change career paths in some way after the MBA, I just wanted to let you know where some questions might arise and things you'll want to be sure to explain
-it's just slightly unclear how the community leader portion fits in with the goals in operations within consumer products, maybe you just mean in addition to your professional role or somehow as part of your career?
-of course your APPLICATION ESSAYS are the biggest unknown at present and will likely have the greatest impact on your admissions decisions, since you have a pretty strong profile otherwise. Remember that the essays are the personal part of the application, and the one place where you create something from scratch to represent who you are, so it's important to spend a lot of time and effort on them, and also to demonstrate a fit with each school that you apply to as that can sometimes make the difference.

In terms of the schools you listed, Sloan and Kellogg would be the biggest reach; followed by Haas and Tuck. Anderson likely easiest on your list, though still very competitive, so if you are looking for more of a 'safety school' you may want to look at a school in the 15-25 rankings just to include one, BUT you also should only apply to places you would truly be happy attending, so keep that in mind. Most applicants find that applying to 3-4 schools at least per round of admissions is about all they can do to the best of their ability without sacrificing quality. Some with a lot of time on their hands manage 5-6 but it's difficult.

Yale and Haas on your list are known for their specialties in non-profit management, which you seem to have an interest in, but then that's not what you are aiming for in terms of your career goals. Most top programs will provide the skills you need for operations and/or consumer products without a problem. In terms of schools that really pride themselves on hiring for consumer products, Kelley (Indiana) comes to mind; in terms of operations, you might also look at Tepper and/or Ross.

Please let us know if you have additional questions, and wishing you good luck on the process!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

UCLA Thread Master
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.43
WE: Operations (Investment Banking)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 66

Re: Profile Review - 710 GMAT, 5+ years experience [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2013, 06:28
Thank you so much for all the feedback!

Posted from my mobile device Image

Follow my reapplicant story at http://mbareapplicant84.blogspot.com/

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Review - 710 GMAT, 5+ years experience [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2013, 18:55
Expert's post
Glad to be of help, please let me know if there's anything else I can advise you with.

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php