Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 15:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Review- AM I TOO YOUNG?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Profile Review- AM I TOO YOUNG? [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2013, 07:24
GMAT- 700 Q-80% V-79&
Undergrad- Penn State- GPA: 3.45- BS Finance, BA Economics
Current Job: Consultant for IBM

-Current Work Experience
- Financial Analysis for Air Force for 6 months during sequestration and Furloughs
- Financial Systems Testing for Department of Justice
- Have worked 5 Proposals for contracts between 2 million and 100 million dollars
- Peer Leader for employees (scheduling happy hours, work shops, network events, and speakers)

Side Projects
- Developing an App for Iphone
- Planning on Taking CFA Level 1 December
- Volunteer at Dog Shelter

Previous Work Expererience
- Real Estate Intern at GE Capital
- Intern for Hedge Fund
- Intern for Hedge Fund

Hi all. My name is Zach and I am worried that I am too young to apply for business school. Well I do know I am too young since the median age of top 15 business schools, where I feel my credentials land me, is 27-28. I am trying to go to Business school so I can switch industries and pursue private equity. Having an MBA would give me better options moving forward on switching careers. Should I apply to a handful of the top schools and hope I get it, I do only need one to say yes. Will it affect me negatively if I reapply at 26? I will be 24 in the Fall of 2014, what should I do? My gut is telling me to roll the dice on a few schools even though the odds are against me.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 346 [0], given: 64

Re: Profile Review- AM I TOO YOUNG? [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2013, 20:23
Expert's post
Zeg102 wrote:
GMAT- 700 Q-80% V-79&
Undergrad- Penn State- GPA: 3.45- BS Finance, BA Economics
Current Job: Consultant for IBM

-Current Work Experience
- Financial Analysis for Air Force for 6 months during sequestration and Furloughs
- Financial Systems Testing for Department of Justice
- Have worked 5 Proposals for contracts between 2 million and 100 million dollars
- Peer Leader for employees (scheduling happy hours, work shops, network events, and speakers)

Side Projects
- Developing an App for Iphone
- Planning on Taking CFA Level 1 December
- Volunteer at Dog Shelter

Previous Work Expererience
- Real Estate Intern at GE Capital
- Intern for Hedge Fund
- Intern for Hedge Fund

Hi all. My name is Zach and I am worried that I am too young to apply for business school. Well I do know I am too young since the median age of top 15 business schools, where I feel my credentials land me, is 27-28. I am trying to go to Business school so I can switch industries and pursue private equity. Having an MBA would give me better options moving forward on switching careers. Should I apply to a handful of the top schools and hope I get it, I do only need one to say yes. Will it affect me negatively if I reapply at 26? I will be 24 in the Fall of 2014, what should I do? My gut is telling me to roll the dice on a few schools even though the odds are against me.

Zach,

How much full-time, post-college work experience will you have in Fall 2014? When did you graduate?

Thanks,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Profile Review- AM I TOO YOUNG? [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2013, 20:30
Zach,

How much full-time, post-college work experience will you have in Fall 2014? When did you graduate?

Thanks,
Linda[/quote]

Linda,

By Fall of 2014 I will have 2 full years of work experience. I am in IBM's Consulting By Degrees program, which is a program they started in the last few years to get fresh new hires out of college rich and diverse experience. This includes quarterly training sessions, networking with executives and partners, and rotatonal projects dealing with proposal work, client facing roles, and other challenging projects. Thanks for the reply Linda, I really appreciate it. I am truly at a crossroads and I need to decide ASAP so if I decide to work on my applications, I can start now to get them in for round 1. Thanks

Sincerely,
Zach
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 346 [0], given: 64

Re: Profile Review- AM I TOO YOUNG? [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2013, 21:45
Expert's post
Zeg102 wrote:
Zach,

Thanks,
Linda

Linda,

By Fall of 2014 I will have 2 full years of work experience. I am in IBM's Consulting By Degrees program, which is a program they started in the last few years to get fresh new hires out of college rich and diverse experience. This includes quarterly training sessions, networking with executives and partners, and rotatonal projects dealing with proposal work, client facing roles, and other challenging projects. Thanks for the reply Linda, I really appreciate it. I am truly at a crossroads and I need to decide ASAP so if I decide to work on my applications, I can start now to get them in for round 1. Thanks

Sincerely,
Zach[/quote]

Zach,

It will not affect you negatively if you apply now and then reapply in two years. No harm. No foul. Just realize that putting in a serious application effort is a time-consuming and expensive process. Are you sure you wouldn't be better off just applying in a year or two when your chances will be much better?

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog