Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 07:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile review and Advice appreciated

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile review and Advice appreciated [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 12:15
Hi,

I'm actually a prospective MBA student, looking to apply in about 3-4 years time. I'm taking the GMAT in a little less than 60 days, and through practice exams I've been doing, my current expected grade is about 730-740 (hoping to increase that further in the next 2 months). For thye sake of a straight evaluation, assume a 730. My status as of now:

Ethnicity: Caucasian

GMAT: 730

Undergrad. GPA: 2.98 in Electrical Engineering from Memorial University of Newfoundland in Canada in 2012

reason for terrible GPA: Mostly the maturation process. I had an average start, but my 2nd and 3rd years were absolutely terrible (I managed to have 1 failing term and 2 other close to 2.0 GPA terms). This was mainly a result of juggling both a difficult degree and being an R.A in the residence where I lived. This in combination with not being inspired by the curriculum in school resulted in a harsh learning experience which I took to heart. After a couple of work terms which I found really interesting (an R&D project related to wind turbines), My grades significantly improved, which carried through to the end of my degree. My senior year GPA was 3.7.

Work experience: Although I know they don't technically count, I had 6 4 month work terms while in school. 2 were working on a wind turbine R&D project with the same company , 2 were working with power systems in the maintenance department of a paper mill and 2 others were working document control for an oil company.

My current job is as an EIT (Engineer in Training) with a major global mining company in a northern community in Canada. I work in the central engineering department and am on an EIT rotation program (essentially I get rotated through several roles over the next 2 years, including cost control and project management in multiple departments). I'm looking to keep this position for a while and I'm well liked by my coworkers and superiors, which will hopefully translate into good recommendations.

Extracurricular activities: Formerly a track and field athlete. I competed at several national competitions in high school and competed for a short while in college before I felt I needed to focus more time on my studies. I've been an avid salsa dancer for the last several years. Since moving north I missed it greatly, so I started a salsa dancing club and also teach classes for it. In addition, I plan social gatherings for salsa on a monthly basis. I'm a disaster volunteer with the Red Cross and recently applied to be a volunteer firefighter as well. At some point in the near future, it is likely that my company will send me to get my PMP certification (project management professional). I'm also currently learning Spanish.

Target programs: LBS, Said at Oxford, INSEAD, Cornell Johnson, Yale, Booth, Columbia, (huge reach) Wharton

Post-MBA goals: To work in international finance, although the exact specifics of which I'm still unsure about. I'll evolve this more as I research, network and gain experience.

I'm looking for an estimate of my chances to achieve any of the above schools on my current trajectory. Any advice for strengthening my profile over the next several years will be greatly appreciated. If you feel I can benefit from hiring Accepted as a consultant, I would appreciate this as well.

I realize my GPA is severely lacking, which is why I'm doing whatever I can in the rest of my application to strengthen my profile. I at least have time on my side, so I intend to make the most of it. Thank you so much in advance :).
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile review and Advice appreciated [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 22:18
Expert's post
Solarus755 wrote:
Hi,

I'm actually a prospective MBA student, looking to apply in about 3-4 years time. I'm taking the GMAT in a little less than 60 days, and through practice exams I've been doing, my current expected grade is about 730-740 (hoping to increase that further in the next 2 months). For thye sake of a straight evaluation, assume a 730. My status as of now:

Ethnicity: Caucasian

GMAT: 730

Undergrad. GPA: 2.98 in Electrical Engineering from Memorial University of Newfoundland in Canada in 2012

reason for terrible GPA: Mostly the maturation process. I had an average start, but my 2nd and 3rd years were absolutely terrible (I managed to have 1 failing term and 2 other close to 2.0 GPA terms). This was mainly a result of juggling both a difficult degree and being an R.A in the residence where I lived. This in combination with not being inspired by the curriculum in school resulted in a harsh learning experience which I took to heart. After a couple of work terms which I found really interesting (an R&D project related to wind turbines), My grades significantly improved, which carried through to the end of my degree. My senior year GPA was 3.7.

Work experience: Although I know they don't technically count, I had 6 4 month work terms while in school. 2 were working on a wind turbine R&D project with the same company , 2 were working with power systems in the maintenance department of a paper mill and 2 others were working document control for an oil company.

My current job is as an EIT (Engineer in Training) with a major global mining company in a northern community in Canada. I work in the central engineering department and am on an EIT rotation program (essentially I get rotated through several roles over the next 2 years, including cost control and project management in multiple departments). I'm looking to keep this position for a while and I'm well liked by my coworkers and superiors, which will hopefully translate into good recommendations.

Extracurricular activities: Formerly a track and field athlete. I competed at several national competitions in high school and competed for a short while in college before I felt I needed to focus more time on my studies. I've been an avid salsa dancer for the last several years. Since moving north I missed it greatly, so I started a salsa dancing club and also teach classes for it. In addition, I plan social gatherings for salsa on a monthly basis. I'm a disaster volunteer with the Red Cross and recently applied to be a volunteer firefighter as well. At some point in the near future, it is likely that my company will send me to get my PMP certification (project management professional). I'm also currently learning Spanish.

Target programs: LBS, Said at Oxford, INSEAD, Cornell Johnson, Yale, Booth, Columbia, (huge reach) Wharton

Post-MBA goals: To work in international finance, although the exact specifics of which I'm still unsure about. I'll evolve this more as I research, network and gain experience.

I'm looking for an estimate of my chances to achieve any of the above schools on my current trajectory. Any advice for strengthening my profile over the next several years will be greatly appreciated. If you feel I can benefit from hiring Accepted as a consultant, I would appreciate this as well.

I realize my GPA is severely lacking, which is why I'm doing whatever I can in the rest of my application to strengthen my profile. I at least have time on my side, so I intend to make the most of it. Thank you so much in advance :).

Obviously it's hard to estimate your chances in 3-4 years time. Things sometimes change. :-)

As you correctly assess, your low gradesare you biggest weakness. They also can be mitigated. A 730 GMAT will go a long way. Your strong GPA during your last year, also helps. In addition, taking classes, which may be difficult if you are in Northern Canada and earning A's in them could help you. Finally, doing something like the CFA, if relevant to the finance you want to do, could also help show that you have matured and learned how to excel. Also see http://blog.accepted.com/2012/06/13/mba ... ad-grades/ .

If you do get that high GMAT, progress well at work, and either take the CFA or earn a few recent A's, I think you would have a competitive chance at Oxford, Cornell, and Yale. LBS, Booth, CBS and Wharton would be stretch programs for you.

Best,
linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile review and Advice appreciated [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 09:07
Hi Linda,

Thank you so much for your assessment. It's reassuring to know that it's possible for me to still be competitive at some of these programs. I'll certainly do what I can to ensure my best chances possible.

I actually considered doing the CFA as a means of showing I can be effective at completing the work at these programs. The big problem I thought could arise though, is if I told adcomms that I intend to focus in finance then they would ask the question "what is he looking to get out of an MBA if he already has this?". I suppose I could point out that I did the CFA as a means of showing I can handle the work, but I'm afraid that the adcomms will simply think I wouldn't get much out of it or something. Do you think this is a founded concern or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks again :)
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile review and Advice appreciated [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 11:52
Expert's post
Solarus755 wrote:
Hi Linda,

Thank you so much for your assessment. It's reassuring to know that it's possible for me to still be competitive at some of these programs. I'll certainly do what I can to ensure my best chances possible.

I actually considered doing the CFA as a means of showing I can be effective at completing the work at these programs. The big problem I thought could arise though, is if I told adcomms that I intend to focus in finance then they would ask the question "what is he looking to get out of an MBA if he already has this?". I suppose I could point out that I did the CFA as a means of showing I can handle the work, but I'm afraid that the adcomms will simply think I wouldn't get much out of it or something. Do you think this is a founded concern or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks again :)

Paranoid. :-)

If you think they CFA will help you professionally, it will also help you from an admissions perspective. It is a respected credential. The material covered in the CFA syllabus may overlap some of the bschool curriculum but by no means all of it. The MBA degree is much broader. There are a lot of CFAs and CFA candidates in top business schools.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile review and Advice appreciated [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 15:10
Hi Linda,

Thank you once again for your advice. This is an eye opener for me and I'm glad that I have another oppotunity to prove I can handle the coursework. Once I complete the GMAT with the score I want (hopefully this works the first time around), I'll look into working towards a CFA designation. I still have 3-4 years before I intend to go to Bschool, so this should give me enough time to complete these goals.

Once again thank you for your profile review and for putting me on the right path. This gives me a very optimistic outlook and I intend to make the most of it :)
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile review and Advice appreciated [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 21:12
Expert's post
Solarus755 wrote:
Hi Linda,

Thank you once again for your advice. This is an eye opener for me and I'm glad that I have another oppotunity to prove I can handle the coursework. Once I complete the GMAT with the score I want (hopefully this works the first time around), I'll look into working towards a CFA designation. I still have 3-4 years before I intend to go to Bschool, so this should give me enough time to complete these goals.

Once again thank you for your profile review and for putting me on the right path. This gives me a very optimistic outlook and I intend to make the most of it :)

You're most welcome. I'm glad you've found my comment helpful. You may also find helpful, my book, MBA Admission for Smarties. It's a succinct, but comprehensive approach to the MBA admission process.

Best,
Lidna

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553