Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 23:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Review Finance/Research + volunteer work

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Wharton '11
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Profile Review Finance/Research + volunteer work [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2008, 13:22
Thanks for taking the time to evaluate my profile. I am trying to understand if I have a good chance to get into a top MBA program. if anyone has some feedback, it would be great

I would like to enroll in Sept 09. Not settled on schools yet Tier 1 choice (Wharton, HBS, Stanford), Tier 2 choice (Chicago, Columbia, MIT)

General Profile --
Male, 27 years old. French, Muslim

Education --
BS in Computer Science (Illinois Institute of Technology) 3.96 GPA
MS in Computer Science (Cornell University) 3.83 GPA
CFA Charterholder
GRE (old 2001) Q 98% , A 96%, V 68%
GMAT 710 , Q 44 , V 42 - Quant is on the low side, not sure why but I took one month to prepare.

Work Experience --

5 years of experience. Now a Vice President working within Fixed Income Research doing quant modeling/software development at an investment bank. Manages 2 people and promoted everytime the firm's policy allowed it.

Volunteer work --

2003 - Taught religious education class (6 hours/week)
Taught GED classes to new immigrants (3 hours/week)
2004 - Financial and management auditing for a non profit organization ( 10-15 hours/week)

2005-Present Chairman of Education Board (30+ hours/week) . Manage multiple projects (SAT classes, College Preparation workshops...) and teams.

Why B-School --

Two main reasons.

Professional - I am extremely interested in company valuation and the fundamental aspect of finance. I really want to get a strong background in fundamental analysis and business development. Ideally, I would like to work in Venture Capital or Long term value investing. B-School will help me get a great understand of business in general, which will be key to make investment decisions. I am on the Quant side right now but I love to delve on financial statements and analyze business strategies. The fundamental side is what I love.

Community - I have been extremely involved and I have taken many leadership roles. I have learned tremendously on the job but there are times when I felt stuck, lacking knowledge about organization dynamic, team building, strategy. I am reinventing the wheel every time and I learn through trial and error. Not great when you are dealing with Youth issues like depression and suicide. I know that I will serve the community my whole life in one way or another and I want to have the most impact. I have great strengths, especially in managing people but I need to refine them and build on them. That's why I want to purse my education. It is as important as my professional goals, may be even more.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes