Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 06:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Review for a non-traditional JD/MBA Candidate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile Review for a non-traditional JD/MBA Candidate [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 15:54
Hey guys,

I just stumbled upon this site. I'm going to be applying for Fall 2009. Here are my stats:

GMAT: 710 (Q: 44, V: 44).
UGBA: 3.3 from UC Berkeley. Double major: Political Science and History. My GPA is marred by a bad frosh semester as an Engineering major. In major-GPA of 3.67 in both majors.

After graduation, I was accepted into the Teach for America program and am going into my second year teaching elementary school in Harlem.

I want to get a JD/MBA and go into non-profit management.

I'm going to be applying to the following schools:

Harvard
Penn
Yale
Columbia
Michigan
UVA
Northwestern
Chicago

For Northwestern, I'm specifically applying to their JD/MBA joint program and for the rest of the schools, I'll be applying to the JD separately.

In my application, I'm going to be stressing the leadership qualities that I have developed in TFA, especially how we're basically thrown into a tough inner-city school and have to set goals for our students, motivate them, maintain classroom order, deal with the school administration, work with parents and teaching assistants, etc. Teach for America has partnerships with most of the b-schools (app fee waivers and scholarships offered) that I listed above...so I hope that means that they are specifically interested in recruiting applicants like myself.

For letters of recommendation, my supervisor in Teach for America is doing one of my recommenders. She's going to be attesting to how in my first year my students achieved "significant gains" as TFA describes it, which means that they grew 1.5 years average in reading level and mastered had a class average 80% math standards mastery (this is Teach for America's highest standard for measuring student growth). My other recommender will be Dan Schnur, he's a political strategist from California who was Press Secretary for former Gov. Pete Wilson as well as John McCain's national ommunications Director in 2000. He currently teaches at Berkeley and USC and writes for the New York Times. I worked for him as a teaching assistant while at Berkeley.

Since I'm applying from a non-business background with only two years of full-time work experience when I begin B-school...what tips can you guys give me for my application?

Thanks!

"Sic volvere parcas..."

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: Profile Review for a non-traditional JD/MBA Candidate [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 16:17
Tremendous potential in terms of a "story" for essays. I can already see how your Kellogg essays will turn out to be completely awesome.

The two years of work experience is a bit of a negative for Kellogg, but you can always spin it by saying you will start with 1L at law school, so technically you will have had 3 years "work experience" by the time you start your MBA classes. Or at least that's how it worked I thought.

How about your experience with quantitative classes? If you didn't take any math or econ after your freshman year, maybe take a class or two in accounting/stats at your local state U? That's one issue you might run into given your background and GMAT quant score.

What was your LSAT like. If you don't mind me asking? (I was a wannabe lawyer once). And why Northwestern only for the MBA/JD?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Profile Review for a non-traditional JD/MBA Candidate [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 16:42
Thanks for the reply! A couple of clarifications:

I'm applying JD/MBA at all of those schools, but Northwestern is unique in that they have a combined application. At Northwestern JD/MBA you need only submit your GMAT (though you may submit an LSAT score if you wish, and it can be an added bonus). The JD/MBA at Northwestern is only three years, all the rest are four. The drawbacks are that its is an insanely grueling schedule and really expensive per year.

At all the other schools, you need to complete an MBA application and a JD application separately...and then get admitted to both programs to go JD/MBA.

I'm taking my LSAT October 4th. I'm working hard to get into the 174-176 range to make up for my GPA.

In terms of quant classes, I got a B in second semester college calculus freshman year. Then a D in Multivariable calculus during my "Semester from Hell." But then I took an advanced game theory course in the econ department that involved calculus junior year and got a B+. I also took a quantitative political science course senior year that had a stats component as well as a symbolic logic class in philosophy junior year. Do you think that is sufficient? Should I write some sort of an addendum about that, because I'm not sure from my transcript that those latter three classes stand out.

Thanks,

~Steve

"Sic volvere parcas..."

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 205 [1] , given: 22

Re: Profile Review for a non-traditional JD/MBA Candidate [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 16:52
This post received
KUDOS
The sort of addendum you discuss might be lost on the typical MBA admissions committee reader. In my opinion, unless it will not fit into your schedule at all, you should still take at least one quant oriented class and score an "A" on it to assuage any potential concerns (even though Kellogg has this reputation for attracting a lot of "poets") regarding your background. The rest makes for a very compelling chance at most of the schools you mention.

I did not know Northwestern had a 3 year JD/MBA, and in that case I'm not quite sure how they might look at 2 years of work experience because the Law School will look at it very positively yet Kellogg might not. I suppose they may understand law school applicants never really have more than 1-2 years of work experience under their belts. I'm sure you will mention your MBA/JD plans on applications to the other schools on your list as well.

174-176 LSAT would be impressive! From the Law School perspective, a 3.3 from Berkeley should be worth at least a 3.7 at Stanford or Brown :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Profile Review for a non-traditional JD/MBA Candidate [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 17:05
solaris1 wrote:
174-176 LSAT would be impressive! From the Law School perspective, a 3.3 from Berkeley should be worth at least a 3.7 at Stanford or Brown :-D

Love it!

In terms of the quant class, I wish I had thought about that earlier. I'm planning on applying for Decision 1 MBA programs in mid-October, so I don't see mcuh of a chance of being able to swing a math class before that. I'll just have to apply and see what happens.

Thanks for the input!

Are you in an MBA program right now? If so, where?

"Sic volvere parcas..."

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: Profile Review for a non-traditional JD/MBA Candidate [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 17:06
No - I'm applying this Fall myself. I just love playing armchair admissions consultant. So take my ahem "advice" for what it's worth.
Re: Profile Review for a non-traditional JD/MBA Candidate   [#permalink] 24 Aug 2008, 17:06