Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 15:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile review GMAT 700 WE 5yrs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Profile review GMAT 700 WE 5yrs [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2013, 17:39
Hi,

I recently gave my GMAT and scored 700. Quant 49 and Verbal 37. I have 5 yrs of WE in which I have worked for Samsung for 3yrs before recently changing my job. I was involved in the teams which were behind the successful release of Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4.i have international exposure working in Korea for almost 14months(not continuously). My GPA is 8.65/10.

I am interested in applying for Stanford, but I believe my GMAT score isn't good enough. Will my work experience make it up for it. Does it make sense for me to apply for Stanford or will it be a waste of time.?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 9

Re: Profile review GMAT 700 WE 5yrs [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2013, 00:14
What about other factors of your application? Extra curricular activities? Anything else that will make you stand out in the crowd?
Stanford are looking for exceptional candidates, and the GMAT itself is not a make or break factor. Your work experience is a nice start assuming it was indeed meaningful and includes promotions.
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 245

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Profile review GMAT 700 WE 5yrs [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2013, 15:25
Expert's post
It's hard to judge based on just # years of work experience and GMAT score as there are many other factors that go into the bschool application. However, if you feel like Stanford would be a good fit for you, then go ahead and apply. Just keep in mind that Stanford is really competitive to be admitted to; make sure you apply to other schools so you have some options.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile review GMAT 700 WE 5yrs [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2013, 15:47
Expert's post
Hey there,

At a high level, pedigree of an institution (professional or academic) should not be used as support for a GMAT score. Whatever capital you have in the pedigree will be wasted in that effort. So you do have pedigree on your side, so why use it up here?

The unfortunate truth is that Stanford, like aerien mentioned, is incredibly competitive. Their average GMAT is the HIGHEST of any top 50 ranked program*.

So two things. For one, definitely diversify and apply to other programs. Secondly, retake your GMAT and shoot for at least a 720, if not higher. A 700 puts you in play for sure (and it's a great score) but if you're looking at Stanford, you need higher.

Bhavik

*US News & World Report rankings

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Re: Profile review GMAT 700 WE 5yrs   [#permalink] 09 Aug 2013, 15:47