Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 12:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Review _GMAT620,MS Biotech(3.5 GPA), 5yrs work-ex

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Profile Review _GMAT620,MS Biotech(3.5 GPA), 5yrs work-ex [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2013, 21:38
Hi friends,

I recently took GMAT and scored a low 620(Q-58%ile and Verbal65%ile).

I am a 29yrs old, Indian female with background in Biological Sciences Research. I have a Masters degree in Biotechnology from a US university (3.5 GPA) and also almost 5 years of work experience with biotech/pharma start-ups in Silicon Valley.
My dream school is Haas. But with my low GMAT score, that looks like an improbable scenario now.

However, I am wondering if the Masters degree and background in biotech will differentiate me in any way and should I still apply to Haas with GMAT 620? Please suggest. Any suggestions/advice will be highly appreciated

P.S: I live in Bay Area and am planning to apply to MBA schools in Bay Area (California) only.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q V
GPA: 2.99
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 42

Re: Profile Review _GMAT620,MS Biotech(3.5 GPA), 5yrs work-ex [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2013, 06:29
genesequenser wrote:
Hi friends,

I recently took GMAT and scored a low 620(Q-58%ile and Verbal65%ile).

I am a 29yrs old, Indian female with background in Biological Sciences Research. I have a Masters degree in Biotechnology from a US university (3.5 GPA) and also almost 5 years of work experience with biotech/pharma start-ups in Silicon Valley.
My dream school is Haas. But with my low GMAT score, that looks like an improbable scenario now.

However, I am wondering if the Masters degree and background in biotech will differentiate me in any way and should I still apply to Haas with GMAT 620? Please suggest. Any suggestions/advice will be highly appreciated

P.S: I live in Bay Area and am planning to apply to MBA schools in Bay Area (California) only.

There is no harm in trying, so I would certainly apply, seems like you have some good work experience. The GMAT is definitely low, is there any way you can retake the GMAT in hopes of improving your score? I would recommend retaking it while the material is still fresh. It will be much harder to retake 6 months from now after applying with no success than just taking a month now to retake. I imagine that you want to just get to work and focus on putting together great applications, but if you're only applying to schools in the Bay Area you should have time to do the GMAT again (even if it's after you submit your Haas app). In short, I would highly recommend retaking the GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: Profile Review _GMAT620,MS Biotech(3.5 GPA), 5yrs work-ex [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2013, 10:55
Thanks for the awesome advice Dakells. I agree with what you say and will take the GMAT again sometime soon.
Re: Profile Review _GMAT620,MS Biotech(3.5 GPA), 5yrs work-ex   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2013, 10:55