Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 11:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Review Needed! LOW GPA - NEED ADVICE PLEASE!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Review Needed! LOW GPA - NEED ADVICE PLEASE! [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2012, 11:51
Hi,

I graduated from Texas Christian University (TCU) in May 2009 with a BBA in finance and entrepreneurial management. I graduated with a 2.75 GPA. There is no specific reason for my low GPA. I would say i was not mature enough and i didnt even know i wanted an MBA. Also, english is not my native languague.

After graduating I returned to Panama, my home country, where I started my banking career as a portfolio manager who overseas a fixed income mutual fund with AUM of more than US$275MM. By the time i want to start the MBA (fall 13), i will have 4 years of full time work experience I also enrolled in Law School at ULACIT and I´m expected to graduate in April 2013 with a degree in Law and Political Science (Current GPA: 3.5). Even though this is considered an undergraduate degree in my country, it would be the equivalent of an American JD degree. I am also involved in several organizations suchs as Junior Achivement, where i have been an advisor for the last 3 years.

Additionally i can mention that I am a certified real estate and stock broker / analyst in the Republic of Panama.

I haven´t taken the GMAT yet, but in the practice tests ive taken, i always score around 650. With this score and my profile, can someone please tell me if i have a chance to attend a good MBA? I wanted to apply to Babson College, Bentley University, American University and MAYBE, if i have any chance....NYU and UVA (virginia). Any comments on these options? New suggestions?

Please find attached my resume for more clarification on my "extracurricular" activies so you can asses the situation.

Thank you for your help!!
Attachments

CV_help.doc [53.5 KiB]
Downloaded 28 times

To download please login or register as a user

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Detail: MBA admissions help
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2000
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Review Needed! LOW GPA - NEED ADVICE PLEASE! [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 20:17
in addition to your GPA, an add'l challenge you'll need to overcome is a perceived lack of focus. you're getting a second degree, so you need to remove any perception of a "degree collector." plus, in your essays, you'll need to really demonstrate some level of career focus and progression. and finally, you'll need to demonstrate comfort with business analysis and quant skills (sounds like you might be able to do this thru your work experience), to offset your low GPA from an average program.

your chances at the places you've listed are not unreasonable if you can adequately address some of these basic issues. places like NYU and UVA are certainly a stretch, but maybe you include one stretch school into the mix and give it your best run?

hope that's helpful,
-james

http://www.TheFirstRead.com
Former Kellogg adcom member, offering a new approach to MBA Admissions Consulting.

Re: Profile Review Needed! LOW GPA - NEED ADVICE PLEASE!   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2012, 20:17