Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Dec 2014, 21:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Review (New Member)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Review (New Member) [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2009, 14:33
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the site and I'm looking for advice, suggestions, etc.

Ethnicity: American
Work Experience: few internships in public accounting. I have a FT job in public accounting lined up in a few months.
GMAT: taking GMAT in January
GPA: 3.63 (University of Maryland, Bachelors in Accounting)

I would like to apply to: University of Chicago, NYU, Columbia, Northwestern, & UVA

I know I have a few years to go before I am a qualified candidate but here are a few questions I have:

-What can I be working on now to improve my chances of getting in to my dream schools?
-Will getting my CPA certification help my chances in getting into a program?
-My last 2 years I had straight A's (which were all my major classes). How much will this help?
-Neither of my parents graduated college. Will this be relevant at all to my application?
-If you could go back to just after undergrad what would you have done differently to assist you in getting in to your dream school?
-If I have a background in accounting and I go to a "case method" school to study finance will I get run over by all the people with backgrounds in finance? I guess my question is how does the case method teach the fundamentals, formulas, and all that good stuff?

Thanks for any input. It is greatly appreciated.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Haas '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile Review (New Member) [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2009, 21:29
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the site and I'm looking for advice, suggestions, etc.

Ethnicity: American
Work Experience: few internships in public accounting. I have a FT job in public accounting lined up in a few months.
GMAT: taking GMAT in January
GPA: 3.63 (University of Maryland, Bachelors in Accounting)

I would like to apply to: University of Chicago, NYU, Columbia, Northwestern, & UVA

I know I have a few years to go before I am a qualified candidate but here are a few questions I have:

-What can I be working on now to improve my chances of getting in to my dream schools?
GMAT, extracurriculars, job performance, and think long and hard about why you need an MBA.

-Will getting my CPA certification help my chances in getting into a program?
Alex from MBA Apply has a very good post on certifications on Wall Steet Oasis:
"There seems to be a fundamental misconception of what b-schools look for.

They don't give a rat's ass about credentials, acronyms, certificates, ribbons, etc. beyond your bachelor's degree.

Getting a CFA, MA, MSc, MCSE, CPA, CFP, PMP, EMT, PADI, LLB, blah blah blah means jack. Some of these credentials may be relevant for your job or career (i.e. CFA for IM, PADI if you want to scuba dive), but it's not about collecting a bunch of certificates.

Nothing beats experience. Real world experience.

Unless you are planning for a career in academia, for the most part the best thing you can do when you graduate from college is to GET A JOB. Any job. Work in the real world. Doesn't have to be some super prestigious job, so long as it's something that gives you responsibility. There's something about earning a paycheck that can quickly ground you in the reality of living as an adult in the modern world."

http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/ask-alex-at-mba-apply

-My last 2 years I had straight A's (which were all my major classes). How much will this help?
It'll certainly look favorably. Adcoms like to see an improving trend in grades.

-Neither of my parents graduated college. Will this be relevant at all to my application?
I'm not qualified to answer this.

-If you could go back to just after undergrad what would you have done differently to assist you in getting in to your dream school?
Well I'm not in my dream school yet, but I wish I would've started thinking about my career goals sooner. The Why MBA/Why Now/Why School X is such a common theme in applications. I knew I wanted to use business school to transition out of the military, but it's not until recently that I *finally* figured out exactly what I wanted to do with my MBA. Funny thing is, I'll probably change my goals when I get into school. But the important thing is to have a cogent, well-thought out plan linking your career goals to your current experience and explaining how school X will help you achieve your goals.

-If I have a background in accounting and I go to a "case method" school to study finance will I get run over by all the people with backgrounds in finance? I guess my question is how does the case method teach the fundamentals, formulas, and all that good stuff?
Not qualified to answer this question.

Thanks for any input. It is greatly appreciated.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile Review (New Member) [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 17:15
Quote:

I'm also new to the MBA application process. However, from what I can tell so far, the BIG factors for MBA applicants are: GMAT, college GPA, work experience, application essays, and solid recommendations (preferably from direct supervisors). If your parents' educational history comes up as a topic for some reason, you might be able to spin this fact into something favorable (i.e. you went above and beyond what your parents could achieve...), other than that, I would say your parental background is waaaaaay down on the list compared to the other factors listed above.

From what I've seen so far, even such secondary considerations as the reputation of your undergrad institution and post-undergrad employer(s) are much more important than your family background (assuming you do not come from an extraordinarily well connected family).

Good luck with the GMAT!
Re: Profile Review (New Member)   [#permalink] 27 Jul 2009, 17:15