Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 05:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Review Please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Review Please [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 21:04
Hello Paul,

I am a 35 year old Indian male and my profile is given below. I would be extremely grateful if you can please take a look at it and advise.

GMAT: 600.
Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering, India
GPA: 3.5.
Part Time MBA from the University of Minnesota
GPA:3.0

I have been in the IT field for the past 12 years. In the business intelligence area and my roles have included being a programmer to being a Program Manager for global implementations of BI tools with direct reports located across the globe. Last year, I moved from BI to Marketing as the Global Marketing Analytics manager for a line of business in my company.

I have always been involved in extracurricular activities. While in school, I was in sports captaining my school cricket team and since I have been in the US, I have been involved with the Wilder foundation teaching computer education to underprivileged individuals as well as leading the crisis nursery initiative at my previous company which is dedicated to the prevention of child abuse and neglect through the provision of emergency intervention, respite care and support to families in crisis. I have also been involved with Habitat for Humanity.

Long Term Goals: My long-term goal is to move into General management and I aim to get a more focused general management education from a school like INSEAD as my previous MBA was more focused on Finance. Apart from the career goal, going to a top MBA School has been a dream of mine for a very long time and I decided this would be my last shot at it.

Schools of Interest: INSEAD, Harvard, Stanford, Booth and Wharton. Based on the years of experience I am aiming to focus more on one-year programs rather than the two-year programs.

My profile is very similar to 30 million other Indians and the double whammy is the low GMAT score. I was wondering if I should retake the GMAT exam (3rd attempt) or go ahead and apply to the schools. I am a little hesitant to apply with such a low score especially since I already have an MBA.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Naveed.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 195

Re: Profile Review Please [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 01:02
Expert's post
Hi Naveed,

You have a triple whammy, actually, and maybe a quadruple, in that you have far more to explain than most applicants. The GMAT is the biggest, actually, and the one you can control. You absolutely have to get that score up to be competitive at top 20 programs. I think you need 700+ to have any shot at the schools you've mentioned.

If you can get the score up, then you next need to canvas the programs to see where you will get screened out for already having an MBA. Some schools (like Sloan) will still openly consider you, but many others will basically rule you out. I've written about this before, but as I said then, I don't have an exhaustive list of such schools because we work with very few clients who possess MBAs and its a case by case basis.

Beyond the GMAT and the degree issue is your age. I don't think you are dead in the water the way many experts would call it, but I do think it poses more questions. I have written about age extensively in these forums, so in the interest of time, I encourage you to check for those. Maybe just search the word "older" in the Ask Paul thread and I'm sure you will find them!

Finally, there is the notion of diversifying your profile. I think you pre-MBA (well, this MBA) transition to marketing helps on that front, as would perfect applications. We can certainly help you, but I think you need to reach this stage first.

Hope this helps. Sorry to be so blunt, but I wanted to make sure to respond and give you some guidance.

Respectfully,

Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Review Please [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 08:58
Hi Paul, Thank you for your great advise. I have also started to look at one year programs at INSEAD and IMD as I am told they allow older candidates.

Naveed.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 195

Re: Profile Review Please [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 00:24
Expert's post
Yes, they do, but especially at INSEAD, I feel you are going to need a higher GMAT. I hope you prove me wrong though! Good luck to you.

-PL

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Review Please [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 07:41
Paul,

Thank you so much for your excellent advice and words of encouragement.

Naveed.