Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 02:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

profile review please!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

profile review please! [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 19:01
Hi,

Appreciate any advice you might have for me.

I graduated from a top-15 undergrad business school with a triple major in Finance/Accounting/International business with a 3.7 GPA. Also got my Masters in Accounting in my 4th year (my masters GPA was also 3.7) and was a 4-year varsity athlete

Licensed CPA
730 GMAT (about to expire so I'll need to take again. Expecting a ~750)

By the time of application, I'll have 4 years of work experience (1 already, 90% 2 promotions) at a fortune 50 company - 2 in a finance rotation program, where I did one year in a tier-2 China city. After the program I joined the Treasury group at the same company where I am on the team responsible for ABS activity and will have been there for 2 years by the time I apply

I mentor 5 employees in my old rotation program and am involved in future people planning for the program.
15 hrs/week of volunteer tax prep for low-income people.

Hoping for one of the following schools:

Harvard
Wharton
Kellogg
Booth
Sloan
LBS
Ross
McCombs

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 519 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: profile review please! [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2013, 02:26
Expert's post
Dinho,
Things are looking pretty good for you. You have everything that needs to be there, the GMAT the GPA, the work experience which gives you a shot at top programs. Just as good, I feel that with Ross and McCombs you have come up with reasonable strategy with some excellent Tier 2 schools that should see you get an offer at the end of your applications. So great job there too.

The three things that are not 100% clear and that make the difference between getting into say Harvard and McCombs are:
1. The breadth of your additional activities
2. The "uniqueness" you can build into your profile
3. The depth of your work experience and how your success compares to others

Because as you can imagine, the majority of HBS applicants have an excellent GMAT, good WE and a good GPA - so what are the things that take you BEYOND that???

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

Re: profile review please! [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2013, 11:31
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Dinho,
Things are looking pretty good for you. You have everything that needs to be there, the GMAT the GPA, the work experience which gives you a shot at top programs. Just as good, I feel that with Ross and McCombs you have come up with reasonable strategy with some excellent Tier 2 schools that should see you get an offer at the end of your applications. So great job there too.

The three things that are not 100% clear and that make the difference between getting into say Harvard and McCombs are:
1. The breadth of your additional activities
2. The "uniqueness" you can build into your profile
3. The depth of your work experience and how your success compares to others

Because as you can imagine, the majority of HBS applicants have an excellent GMAT, good WE and a good GPA - so what are the things that take you BEYOND that???

Thanks for your response. I think I can make sure 2 and 3 will come through, now I just need to make sure I can focus on some more additional activities I think.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 519 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: profile review please! [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 03:30
Expert's post
Sounds good. Try and get one or two extra things in there, to give your profile a bit of breadth, and so that you have from where to pull a few more good essay stories and you will be off to a good start.
Best of luck to you!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!