Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 20:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Review please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Insead, LBS, OXford, Cambridge and etc.
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Review please [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2009, 15:44
Would you please also help me assess my chances to US & European B-Schools?

Basics:
Chinese, living in the western Europe, IT, Male, GMAT 720(M51 99%, V36 78%)/5.0,

Education:
GPA about 2.8, Bsc. in China, Computer Science from a good-but-not-top technical university. MSc. from a first-class technical university in western Europe

Extracurricular:
during undergraduate: leader of a student association, planned, led and moderated quite many colleage activities(both commercial and non-profit);

during Master education: the only student member of the education commitee, and the only one out of 11 fellow students who graduated on time, but the GPA is just above the average.

Work experience:
In total 6 year of software development.

2 year in China with minor project management responsibility, and field service.

4 year in a Fortune 500 in Western Europe, coordinated a few small projects which cross departments, a bit field service work in another European country

Goal after MBA:
My goal is Consulting or General Management.

My Question:
What tier of Euopean or US schools can I apply? I am not very confident since I have seen many, if not most, of people on this forum have top consulting-or-iBank experience with very high GMAT&GPA. How can a technology applicant without much management experience stand out?

And what do you think are my most obvious weakness in my applications for top schools? and how I could improve them if I put off my application and get an extra year?

Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: Profile Review please [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2009, 05:43
I think you have a pretty good profile. The areas that I saw as potential weaknesses were:

- academics: your 2.8 undergrad GPA is going to be well below average for most top schools. Your "just above the average" GPA from your Msc may make up for this, depending on what the average GPA was. Your GMAT score also will help, but if your MSc GPA doesn't compare well with the 80% range for your target schools, you should consider taking one or two business related classes, like Economics, Finance or Statistics, and doing well to remove any doubts the adcom may have about whether you can handle the academics.

- work experience: from the info you provided, it looks like you've led some small projects at work, and you should try to think of other examples where you've been a leader. In order to differentiate yourself from other IT people, you'll need to demonstrate that you don't share the common weaknesses for IT people (lack of leadership, poor people skills, etc) Also, have you been involved in any volunteer/EC activities since your MSc? These could also be a good way to differentiate yourself.

Your biggest challenge is that your IT background will put you in an extremely competitive applicant pool. I haven't done a lot of research on European schools, but I think that LBS and INSEAD are probably a stretch, with Oxford and Cambridge more likely. In terms of US schools, I think any of the ultra-elites are a stretch (and H/S probably unlikely since they seem to be wanting younger students these days), with the elites more likely.

Good luck!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

Re: Profile Review please [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2009, 15:06
NJMike wrote:
I think you have a pretty good profile. The areas that I saw as potential weaknesses were:

- academics: your 2.8 undergrad GPA is going to be well below average for most top schools. Your "just above the average" GPA from your Msc may make up for this, depending on what the average GPA was. Your GMAT score also will help, but if your MSc GPA doesn't compare well with the 80% range for your target schools, you should consider taking one or two business related classes, like Economics, Finance or Statistics, and doing well to remove any doubts the adcom may have about whether you can handle the academics.

Good luck!

What is you GPA Scale you're using? what's a typical grade. 2.8/4 is a bit low on US scaling. I don't know if it's the same in China.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: Insead, LBS, OXford, Cambridge and etc.
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Review please [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2009, 06:39
GoBruins wrote:
What is you GPA Scale you're using? what's a typical grade. 2.8/4 is a bit low on US scaling. I don't know if it's the same in China.

Maybe I should not convert the GPA on my resume. Mine in China is 78/100, not bad at all given the strict grading system at my university. But I was told by a friend that 80/100 is equivalent to about 3.0 in US.

Does anybody know what is the percentile of GPA 3.0 in a class at a strict U.S technical university? thanks in advance.
Re: Profile Review please   [#permalink] 31 Jan 2009, 06:39