Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 22:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile review pls: M 27 / Indian / BA Maths / Entrepreneur

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE: General Management (Education)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile review pls: M 27 / Indian / BA Maths / Entrepreneur [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2012, 10:36
Hi,

I plan to apply to B-Schools for the Fall 2013 intake. I plan to take my GMAT in August this year. If you could please look at my profile and help me out with some of my doubts!

1)
Nationality: India
Resident in the UK

2) Educational Background:
Doon School, Dehrarun (ISC, BFS 94%)
BA Hons in Mathematics from St Stephen's College, Delhi University (average score of all 3 years: 77%)

3) Work experience:
2006 - 2007: Reckitt Benckiser CHQ (Slough, UK): Information Systems Grad Business Analyst
Apparently the first international placement from Delhi University (that what TOI said - I'm not sure if its accurate!)

Nov 2007 - quit to start my company (with own savings) - deals with Education & Recruitment Consulting
(Overseas admission to UK, University collaborations, and jobs placements in UK)
Operated from London and opened main office in Delhi. Other branch offices in Kanpur & Amritsar.
(company still running - though not focusing on this business too much these days as busy with another venture)

Oct 2009 - bought an English language training school in the UK (again with funds earned from Company 1)
School in UK teaches students from over 50 nationalities.

Expanded business and now have opened a branch of the school in Kazakhstan. Currently busy (very!) trying to expand in Kz and streamlining business in this very tough yet massive market to operate in. Secured contracts with some of the biggest schools in Almaty.
Developing an online IELTS training course. Hopefully should be able to launch in a months time.

4) Extracurriculars:

Most ECA were during school / college time:
Sports: Was school/college team for football, athletics, college chess captain, Dehradun districts gold in Discuss throw (if don't know if any of this counts!)
Not been playing sports recently!
Duke of Edinburgh Gold

5) Short/Long term goals:
Continue to build & grow companies.
Hope to continue to be a part of my existing company too. (have a business partner - who may have to work extra hard for sometime!)
Streamline my father's business as well. He is in the textile industry (in Varanasi)

6) Schools I'd like to go to in order of preference:
1: Harvard, Stanford, Insead, Haas, Kellogg, MIT
2: LBS, Chicago Booth, Judge, Tuck, Darden, Fuqua, Columbia, Wharton
3: IE, IESE, Said, IMD

Some additional information:
- I'm getting married this Nov. So would like to finish all applications before Nov. (my gf is also going to apply!)
- Work is terribly busy right now. Will hardly be able to take out a lot of time for GMAT, Essays
- Not a natural at exams like GMAT - took CAT in 2006 and didn't do great!
- Don't want a very academic / theoretical MBA, but something more practical and which would really help me in my business

- What are my chances to get into a good school and what's the minimum GMAT score that I need to get?
- Are chances to get in higher if I apply in round 1?
- Is my choice of schools OK if I want a general MBA with focus on entrepreneurship?
- Whom do I get my recos from as don't have a supervisor and clients are students?
- How long do I need to study for my GMAT / write the essays? I am most scared about this as I think I won't be able to put in a lot of time in the preparation.
- Does the admission team ask for any proof of business like financial statements etc.?

Sorry for so many questions! Many thanks in advance.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: Profile review pls: M 27 / Indian / BA Maths / Entrepreneur [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2012, 05:00
Expert's post
Let's kick off with your questions:
- What are my chances to get into a good school and what's the minimum GMAT score that I need to get?
To get into Top programs like HBS, 720+ would be good. a 690 or higher COULD also work. and at some of the schools on your list, even a 650 or higher. But as you know, the higher the better. Whatever you do, since you are getting married soon, take it SOON so you can start on your applications NOW
- Are chances to get in higher if I apply in round 1?
Slightly. And higher chances of getting scholarships too.
- Is my choice of schools OK if I want a general MBA with focus on entrepreneurship?
Yes, your school choice is fine for entrepreneurship. Actually for everything, as you have simply posted more or less all the top schools on your list! :) you could also consider Babson and NYU, I think.
- Whom do I get my recos from as don't have a supervisor and clients are students?
Good question! This depends on the range of possibilities. the idea is to NOT choose someone who owes you obligations (like an employee, so what employee would write a bad reco about their boss??) but it could be: partners, clients, or people from other activities (i.e. manager/leader in a community/volunteer experience)
- How long do I need to study for my GMAT / write the essays? I am most scared about this as I think I won't be able to put in a lot of time in the preparation.
there is no clear answer here. this will depend on you and how you study and what a good test-taker you are. You need to start NOW though. Writing applications is VERY time consuming. As is GMAT preparation. If you want to be done for R1, you are already a wee bit late. so hurry up!
- Does the admission team ask for any proof of business like financial statements etc.?
No. Never heard of this happen. they might check your references and recommenders etc. but they won't ask you for financial statements about your business.

Soooooo, my best advice to you: Get MOVING!!!! Time is a wasting!
:)
If you have any further questions, don't hesitate!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE: General Management (Education)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile review pls: M 27 / Indian / BA Maths / Entrepreneur [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 14:19
Hi Jon,
Many thanks for your advise. Just got back from Kazakhstan and now going to start my GMAT prep. Took the first official GMAT test today.. got a 680 (Quant 45, Verbal 38). I am giving myself 2 weeks for full time study in August and 10 hrs on each of the weekends in July. Will be aiming for a 750. Lets see how far I go!
I don't think will be able to apply it to a lot of schools in R1 but will try to manage atleast 2-3 top school applications.
Thanks,
Udit