Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 07:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile review pls: M 27 / Indian / BA Maths / Entrepreneur

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE: General Management (Education)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile review pls: M 27 / Indian / BA Maths / Entrepreneur [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2012, 10:37
Hi,

I plan to apply to B-Schools for the Fall 2013 intake. I plan to take my GMAT in August this year. If you could please look at my profile and help me out with some of my doubts!

1)
Nationality: India
Resident in the UK

2) Educational Background:
Doon School, Dehrarun (ISC, BFS 94%)
BA Hons in Mathematics from St Stephen's College, Delhi University (average score of all 3 years: 77%)

3) Work experience:
2006 - 2007: Reckitt Benckiser CHQ (Slough, UK): Information Systems Grad Business Analyst
Apparently the first international placement from Delhi University (that what TOI said - I'm not sure if its accurate!)

Nov 2007 - quit to start my company (with own savings) - deals with Education & Recruitment Consulting
(Overseas admission to UK, University collaborations, and jobs placements in UK)
Operated from London and opened main office in Delhi. Other branch offices in Kanpur & Amritsar.
(company still running - though not focusing on this business too much these days as busy with another venture)

Oct 2009 - bought an English language training school in the UK (again with funds earned from Company 1)
School in UK teaches students from over 50 nationalities.

Expanded business and now have opened a branch of the school in Kazakhstan. Currently busy (very!) trying to expand in Kz and streamlining business in this very tough yet massive market to operate in. Secured contracts with some of the biggest schools in Almaty.
Developing an online IELTS training course. Hopefully should be able to launch in a months time.

4) Extracurriculars:

Most ECA were during school / college time:
Sports: Was school/college team for football, athletics, college chess captain, Dehradun districts gold in Discuss throw (if don't know if any of this counts!)
Not been playing sports recently!
Duke of Edinburgh Gold

5) Short/Long term goals:
Continue to build & grow companies.
Hope to continue to be a part of my existing company too. (have a business partner - who may have to work extra hard for sometime!)
Streamline my father's business as well. He is in the textile industry (in Varanasi)

6) Schools I'd like to go to in order of preference:
1: Harvard, Stanford, Insead, Haas, Kellogg, MIT
2: LBS, Chicago Booth, Judge, Tuck, Darden, Fuqua, Columbia, Wharton
3: IE, IESE, Said, IMD

Some additional information:
- I'm getting married this Nov. So would like to finish all applications before Nov. (my gf is also going to apply!)
- Work is terribly busy right now. Will hardly be able to take out a lot of time for GMAT, Essays
- Not a natural at exams like GMAT - took CAT in 2006 and didn't do great!
- Don't want a very academic / theoretical MBA, but something more practical and which would really help me in my business

- What are my chances to get into a good school and what's the minimum GMAT score that I need to get?
- Are chances to get in higher if I apply in round 1?
- Is my choice of schools OK if I want a general MBA with focus on entrepreneurship?
- Whom do I get my recos from as don't have a supervisor and clients are students?
- How long do I need to study for my GMAT / write the essays? I am most scared about this as I think I won't be able to put in a lot of time in the preparation.
- Does the admission team ask for any proof of business like financial statements etc.?

Sorry for so many questions! Many thanks in advance.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile review pls: M 27 / Indian / BA Maths / Entrepreneur [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 13:22
Expert's post
Thanks for your post. I will admit, the first time I read your profile, it seems Part time MBA would fit your needs very well. How, for example, do you expect to do a full time MBA commitment while running one or more companies? This may come across as unrealistic to the adcoms. Additionally, youwouldn't have to worry as much about the GMAT, since PT programs are more forgiving on that front. Truthfully, you will not likely get much attention from the schools on your #1 list without a great GMAT score. For the schools that offer PT programs, this is not as much a factor. To answer your question directly below is difficult, as it's about so much more than the GMAT, but I would say that as an Indian Male with M7 school list, you would want to shoot for low 700's on the GMAT. Other answers are below:

- Are chances to get in higher if I apply in round 1?
Some say round one has best chances, and if you think about all the seats being open, there is a good argument for round 1 for sure. Others say that because round one gets the most applicaitons, it is tougher, but I have not found this to be the case. Some schools even have early action plans, which allows you to get some favorable consideration in exchange for exclusivity if they let you in. Something to consider especially if you have several things you are concerned about in your profile.
- Is my choice of schools OK if I want a general MBA with focus on entrepreneurship? Any school in the top 10 will help you as an entrepreneur, but again, the PT option will allow you to apply in real time your learnings from school, whereas the FT programs will likely keep you too busy to actually exercise what you learn until you finish.
- Whom do I get my recos from as don't have a supervisor and clients are students?
Do you have any vendors you use, or surely you have dealt with bankers as you have grown your business? These can be good resources for recos.
- How long do I need to study for my GMAT / write the essays? I am most scared about this as I think I won't be able to put in a lot of time in the preparation.
Unfortunately, if you want to pull together a winning application, you are going to need to carve out some good time for both GMAT prep and essays. I know this will sound biased, but if you are limited on time, you might consider GMAT study courses and/or consultant help with your application as well. Frankly , if you are worried about the time involved, you will be really miserable in b-school, which is a huge demand on your time.
- Does the admission team ask for any proof of business like financial statements etc.?
No they will likely take your word for it, some of which will be corroborated by your recos, to the extent the recommenders are involved in the business or familiar with it. They might check out your website, etc. but don't expect them to ask you for detailed or audited financials.

in the end, I find the most successful entrepreneurs pick up b-school knowlege in piecemail, because they are frankly too busy running their successful business to take the requisite time off. Entrepreneurship is not easily taught in the classroom, and is best learned in the school of hard knocks, as you know. This is why a part time or executive one year MBA might serve you best--since you are not really looking for access to top recruitiers for a job, per se, and plan to grow your business(es) after b-school, many of the benefits of the full time programs will be unuseful.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile review pls: M 27 / Indian / BA Maths / Entrepreneur [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 11:27
Hi Bryant,

Many thanks for your reply. Well, I had given the part time MBA some thought, but eventually decided on a FT prog as I wanted to get back to the classroom full time and really build on approach, learn new ways of approaching problems and generally grow as a professional. It will be a bit of a sacrifice that I will have to make with my current business but I have prepared myself for that.

Regarding GMAT, I will try to get down to some serious prep. If I manage an early 700's do I stand any chance for H / S?

I can certainly talk about my business and its financials so that should not be a big issue.

Thanks once again for the advice.

Best regards,
Udit
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile review pls: M 27 / Indian / BA Maths / Entrepreneur [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2012, 05:27
Expert's post
Standing out as an entrepreneur is difficult, so you should focus on results. if you are able to quantify an impressive level of results for your companies, you will have a better shot. Stanford is a little more entrepreneur freindly than HBS, and the two schools have a very different culture, so you should do some more digging to see which school fits you better. It's rare to find a candidate that would be a "best fit" for both HBS and Stanford. I would also shop down the list a bit to ensure matriculation. There's no need to get an HBS or Stanford MBA if you are an entrepreneur. These schools will help you get a good job, but in many ways won't help you with your own companies any more than other top schools. Perhaps it's the network you are going for? Indeed the HBS and Stanford networks are broad and deep, but again, you'd want to do some homework on which of these valuable networks is more useful for you in the long run. I would say a very high GMAT score would be a great start. Go for a 730-750 and it will help.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile review pls: M 27 / Indian / BA Maths / Entrepreneur [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 14:25
Hi Bryant,
Many thanks for your advice. Just got back from Kazakhstan and now going to start my GMAT prep. Took the first official GMAT test today.. got a 680 (Quant 45, Verbal 38). I am giving myself 2 weeks for full time study in August and 10 hrs on each of the weekends in July. Will be aiming for a 750. Lets see how far I go!
I don't think will be able to apply it to a lot of schools in R1 but will try to manage atleast 2-3 top school applications.
Thanks,
Udit