Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Review Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

Profile Review Request [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2009, 21:44
x

With my career goals in high technology, I've looked at various rankings and researched alma maters for established leaders in the field, and come up with a preliminary list of potential programs: HBS, Stanford, Berkeley, MIT, UCLA, USC, Carnegie Mellon, Chicago, Northwestern, Columbia.

I've got a couple questions:
* Does my list of programs seem realistic? Are there any other good programs for me to consider?
* I understand that adcoms know certain universities grade tougher, and certain majors are tougher, but do they know specific courses within universities that are difficult? Do I need to stress that some of my best grades occurred in some of the toughest courses, or will they already know?
* On a similar vein, are adcoms familiar with the amount of time necessary in my fields of work (to explain my lack of significant ECs after college)? I know the time requirements for some finance fields are well known, but I don't know if the same is true for specific engineering fields.

Thank you for your help!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by boogs on 28 Sep 2009, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Review Request [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2009, 08:44
Everything other than HBS or Stanford are within reach (i.e. if you want to apply, go ahead, just treat them as lottery tickets, and no, there's nothing you can do to make you more competitive).

Secondly, don't worry about the GPA - it's fine. You probably have to mention something in an optional, but don't dig yourself a hole and over-explain.

As for extracurriculars, adcoms probably won't cut you much slack if you don't have much as an engineer - if you are really working that hard at work, the hope is that you have enough team/leadership experience to highlight that your lack of strong extracurriculars won't be a huge concern.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Current Student

Re: Profile Review Request [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 23:35
Thanks for the honest and non-sugarcoated feedback. I appreciate hearing an unbiased opinion that doesn't simply tell me what I want to hear. I will most likely remove H/S from my list unless I do better than expected in R1 and I can find good candidates for a 3rd Rec.

Current Student

Re: Profile Review Request [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2009, 19:55
Hi Alex,

I just wanted to follow up and ask for one last bit of feedback before I arrange recommenders and get to work. While I listed 3 potential areas for post-MBA employment, I have decided to focus in my apps on developing a tech startup. This is my preferred occupation, but I think I was being unnecessarily honest when saying I could end up in a "safer" job. I intend on differentiating myself by showing that I have the technical ability to create something from scratch (through work history and recs) AND the overall vision and "soft" skills (through recs and essays). I have very specific areas of interest to highlight.

With those goals in mind, I have decided that location (not in the middle of nowhere, close to tech brainpower), support for entrepreneurship, and general reputation are important to me. I also would prefer somewhere more quant-heavy, as I like numbers.

I have created a shortlist of: Berkeley, UCLA, USC, Texas, Carnegie Mellon, and Tepper. Do you think this is a good list? Are there any notable exceptions? What do you think my chances are with this list?

Thanks a lot!

MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Review Request [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2009, 22:09
I think you can be a little more ambitious than that.

Swap out two of USC, Texas, Carnegie Mellon, and Tepper for two of Sloan, Kellogg, Wharton, Chicago or Columbia (probably at least Sloan).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Current Student

Re: Profile Review Request [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2009, 22:24
Whoops, I realized that I made a typo in saying Carnegie Mellon and Tepper... the same school. I meant to say CMU and MIT... so that takes care of one of the swaps. I will evaluate the other programs you listed as a potential swap. Thanks again!

Re: Profile Review Request   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2009, 22:24