Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 22:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Review: Strong GMAT, low GPA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile Review: Strong GMAT, low GPA [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2011, 13:00
Hi,

I am so relieved to find this thread here on GMAT club. I used the site when studying for my GMAT and it was really helpful. Now that I'm starting my applications, I hope it can still be of help. I'm worried about my profile for top programs, I've asked admissions counselors about it but they have not been very helpful.

A bit of background, I'm applying for Fall of 2011 and I'm looking exclusively at Bay Area (California) schools. The top schools are Haas (Berkeley) and Stanford, after that there are no top tier schools in the area. I have a family so relocating may not be an option.

GMAT: 740 (47Q, 45V), 6.0 AWA
Undergrad GPA: 2.6 in Electrical Engineering (UCLA)
Additional GPA: 4.0 in Project Management Program from UC Berkeley Extension
Years Experience: 8 (31 yrs old at the start of the term)

I was heavily involved in extracurricular activities in college and held several leadership positions. My work experience has seen a consistent increase in responsibilities, but most of it is for small start-up companies (> 50 employees). I also had some personal issues contributed to the GPA problems, but I hate to use them as an excuse.

I am worried that Haas may not even consider me due to the GPA (they're 80% avg is very high - 3.39 - 3.8). They also place an emphasis on quant, and I was only in the 76th percentile. Stanford doesn't list an average GPA, but I've heard that they tend to go for younger, innovative applicants. Is my profile competitive for these programs?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: consultinghub,
WE: Education (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Review: Strong GMAT, low GPA [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2011, 00:25
People say there is a lot of stress on all these things individually. But look at you, you have a very good profile. They will definitely give you a chance to prove your claim through your essays.

Address the GPA issue with lots of acceptance. Its a skill.

You are a good contender.

Add a few more good schools to your bucket.

We use Birkman's method (Admissions committee of All colleges use ) for a Winning application.

http://throughmba.com

Alex Wilkins
Senior Admission Consultant, ThroughMBA
Panelist | MBA Admissions Achievers Meet
Interviewer | MIT Sloan | Former
Management Consultant | McKinsey & Company | Former

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Review: Strong GMAT, low GPA [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2011, 13:10
Thanks for the response ThroughMBA, I really appreciate it. Originally, I was thinking of applying to other programs as well (UCLA, USC); however, relocating is not an option for me at this point in my life. My wife has a good job in the area and we will need her income if I am in school.

I am happy that my profile will, at least, warrant consideration for top schools. Do you think there are any other worthwhile programs in the area?

Thanks again!
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Review: Strong GMAT, low GPA [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2011, 01:27
Expert's post
In the area directly, not really. One word of advice though. You DO have chances, but applying to ONLY Haas and Stanford can be a bit risky. It doesn't mean its not the right choice for you. Because if you can't move, you can't. But you may want to think about if it makes sense for you to apply elsewhere (In Cali for example if its relevant). If you wouldn't go anyways, then obviously not, but applying to only two schools, one of which is Stanford is risky, even if you have an 800 GMAT. Anyhow I will also point out that more important yet would be what you have done and what your goals are, what you can write in terms of achievements.

Hope this helps

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Last edited by JonAdmissionado on 09 Oct 2011, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Review: Strong GMAT, low GPA [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2011, 21:13
You might need to prove to the admission committee that your GPA won’t be an issue. If you can tell in your application about any extra classes or courses you were part of , in the subjects that you didn’t do well and highlight your zeal to learn and improve it could also improve your low GPA situation. You could also talk about. You have a stellar profile highlight it well. Make sure you follow the ‘show rather than tell’ principle so that the admissions committee could really understand your strengths and differentiating factors. If you do this the age should be such a big concern to them.

Thanks!
Kavita Singh
FutureWorks Consulting
Pre Application Strategies|Admission Consulting |Pre-Departure Coaching|Workshops

Find out where you stand with our Free Assessment Test or drop your resume at kavita@futureworks.co.in

Re: Profile Review: Strong GMAT, low GPA   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2011, 21:13