Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 16:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Review - Tuck & Booth Targeted

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
WE: General Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile Review - Tuck & Booth Targeted [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2012, 18:45
Please provide assessment on my chances at R3 Booth & Tuck.

GMAT - 700 49Q 36V 5.5AWA. Only took once recently and chose to focus on apps due to work priorities rather than retake for higher verbal.
WE - 7 years at top 3 bank in diverse areas. Most recently 1yr program management in risk for a Federal Reserve Board mandated quarterly report, previously 2 yrs IB tech business management w/ responsibility of $20MM+ budget, corporate transition pmo and consumer bank analytics. Showing promotion and major salary growth.
Undergrad - 3.33 Business from state school. Have the hurdle of poor grades in engineering program during first year at different top Engineering school at 17.
Age - 29 (as of 9/2012)
Essays - Very strong, spent a lot of time on this.
EC - Average. Good charitable fund raising
Recommendations - Should be strong from 2 prior managers including my IB tech managing director whom I reported to directly.
Career objective - COO for trading division at IB (current lean is towards commodities)

I was a bit late to the process this year when I decided to consider full time MBA in January (I had been looking at the Duke cross continent program but I cannot get 6 weeks off to do the in persons). My timeline only left the option of April deadlines thus eliminating Wharton. I chose not to apply to Columbia due to facilities and cost of living in NY. This left Booth and Tuck as options as I don't feel I get enough ROI considering opportunity cost and risk of leaving work outside top 10 with where I'm at right now career wise. I juggled 50+ hour/week work schedule and studying for GMAT. I could probably do 20+ points better as the building the testing center was in had major roof maintenance going on when I took it making the verbal particularly hard to concentrate on. Practice tests verbal ranged from 36-44. I figure with where my salary is, age and work experience, it does not make sense to go full time after another year so I would be looking at NYC or Chicago part time programs in the event I'm rejected this year. I figure I would be a strong candidate at Booth, Kellogg and Stern night programs.

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 11

Premium Member
Re: Profile Review - Tuck & Booth Targeted [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2012, 19:19
whitie8lax wrote:
Please provide assessment on my chances at R3 Booth & Tuck.

GMAT - 700 49Q 36V 5.5AWA. Only took once recently and chose to focus on apps due to work priorities rather than retake for higher verbal.
WE - 7 years at top 3 bank in diverse areas. Most recently 1yr program management in risk for a Federal Reserve Board mandated quarterly report, previously 2 yrs IB tech business management w/ responsibility of $20MM+ budget, corporate transition pmo and consumer bank analytics. Showing promotion and major salary growth.
Undergrad - 3.33 Business from state school. Have the hurdle of poor grades in engineering program during first year at different top Engineering school at 17.
Age - 29 (as of 9/2012)
Essays - Very strong, spent a lot of time on this.
EC - Average. Good charitable fund raising
Recommendations - Should be strong from 2 prior managers including my IB tech managing director whom I reported to directly.
Career objective - COO for trading division at IB (current lean is towards commodities)

I was a bit late to the process this year when I decided to consider full time MBA in January (I had been looking at the Duke cross continent program but I cannot get 6 weeks off to do the in persons). My timeline only left the option of April deadlines thus eliminating Wharton. I chose not to apply to Columbia due to facilities and cost of living in NY. This left Booth and Tuck as options as I don't feel I get enough ROI considering opportunity cost and risk of leaving work outside top 10 with where I'm at right now career wise. I juggled 50+ hour/week work schedule and studying for GMAT. I could probably do 20+ points better as the building the testing center was in had major roof maintenance going on when I took it making the verbal particularly hard to concentrate on. Practice tests verbal ranged from 36-44. I figure with where my salary is, age and work experience, it does not make sense to go full time after another year so I would be looking at NYC or Chicago part time programs in the event I'm rejected this year. I figure I would be a strong candidate at Booth, Kellogg and Stern night programs.

Thanks!

Hi,

Your profile is strong enough to apply in round 3.

Schools look for a bit more than right FIT when you apply in round 3, schools would have already selected a good number of students from every specific backgrounds, so sometimes even if you have very strong profile, you do not get in.

So, when you apply at round 3, you have to show that you are not that "typical" banker only, and you have some great additional insights to offer that the other bankers can not. ( i have been a banker before , and i know its difficult to articulate, but not impossible), I saw one applicant getting in with manufacturing background in round 3 last year, he was a typical profile, but he had started a small venture while working full time, and he had a great story that helped him get in.

You have to have very very strong essays and recommendations, your story must be BANG ON story.

Let me know if i could be of any help

Good Luck

Free Essay Editing Service
free-profile-essay-review-service-free-129484.html

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
WE: General Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Review - Tuck & Booth Targeted [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2012, 10:35
Does anyone have thoughts on if I should add Yale SOM to the mix? I've started the app but focused on the other two and now that I have a bit over a week to finish if i want. The essays topics are are fairly similar and I hear the recommendation is not extremely time consuming like the Tuck one. Also, I've read that they are increasing class size there and their energy classes could be good for my longer term goals in commodities.
Current Student
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

Re: Profile Review - Tuck & Booth Targeted [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 09:37
Yale SOM last year had a good showing in finance last year in recruiting and has strong connections to the NYC area. Round 3 is tough for any top 10 school but for your goals Yale fits the bill and it will give you another shot at admissions this year.
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 11

Premium Member
Re: Profile Review - Tuck & Booth Targeted [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 17:42
whitie8lax wrote:
Does anyone have thoughts on if I should add Yale SOM to the mix? I've started the app but focused on the other two and now that I have a bit over a week to finish if i want. The essays topics are are fairly similar and I hear the recommendation is not extremely time consuming like the Tuck one. Also, I've read that they are increasing class size there and their energy classes could be good for my longer term goals in commodities.

Hello,

Yes, i would encourage you to apply to Yale SOM.

I agree that the essay topics are similar barring two essays, however i would suggest not to copy your essay of one school to another thinking that you just have to apply. You gotta really customize your essay ( though it could be similar Q) with the respective school.

For any help on essays feel free to come back to me ( refer my signature thread )

Free Essay Editing Service
free-profile-essay-review-service-free-129484.html

Re: Profile Review - Tuck & Booth Targeted   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2012, 17:42