Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 16:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile review - what's your assessment.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2010
Posts: 22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Profile review - what's your assessment. [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 07:08
Mates,

I’d like your thoughts on my profile. I’m dilly-dally between (1) Exec MBA or Full time and (2) US or European schools.

If I had it my way, I will head to US and do a full time MBA from top 10 business school. But age and experience is not on my side.

• A/S/L – 34 M London
• Nationality – Indian
• International experience – 3 years Singapore, 2 years Cayman Islands and last 5 years London
• Professional Qualification – Chartered Accountancy from India. Qualified in 2000.
• Post qualification experience of 10 years
• Experience – Auditing international Hedge Funds, Private Equity, Investment Managers
• Employer – Ernst & Young London - Manager Investment Management Assurance Practice
• GMAT score – 730
• Community activities – Trustee of Charity organisation. Organised a number of charity events.
• Academics – excellent record including gold medals/scholarship in competitive exams at Asia level etc etc.
• Aim after MBA – Join a hedge fund/PE house or become an entrepreneur


Let me know what you think of my chances to get in top 10 MBA Full time US program. If you think that is unlikely (due to age, exp etc) then can you suggest some European schools where I have a good chance.

Making dream a reality,
F22 Raptor
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
avatar
Status: Darden Class of 2013
Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Posts: 1838
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile review - what's your assessment. [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 08:22
I think you're pretty honest with yourself. Given your age and experience, fulltime MBA programs in the top 10 b-school at the States will be pretty slim. You would really have to convince the adcoms why you want it and why you didn't opt for the EMBA. In addition, you're going to have to convince the adcom (and perhaps, yourself) that you'll be able to relate to the younger classmates who can be as young as 22, 23 years old.

I know top b-schools in Europe (LBS, INSEAD, etc.) are more forgiving when it comes to age; in fact, they tend to prefer older candidates. In order to not steer you the wrong way, you should think about where you want to work. I know you wrote down what you want to do post-MBA, but location is important as well. If you want to work in the States, you would want to attend a US-business school. It makes your life easier to opt for that since you'd have the connection already. If you want to work in Europe, then it would make more sense for you to attend a business school in Europe.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2010
Posts: 22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile review - what's your assessment. [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 08:43
Thanks SM.
Slim – hmm I take that means if I am planning to target 5 Bschools applications, I’d be better off focusing my energy on European Schools.

I am a bit apprehensive above EBMA for 2 reasons:
• Not sure how the market perceives it?
• And the content of these courses – hard to believe their claim of having at par curriculum with full time.

1) What are your thoughts EMBA?

2) Do you think (I want a reality check here) – I should stay away from full time MBA and concentrate on EMBA even for European schools.

I’d like to move to US but since the chances are slim of doing a full time MBA from US and travelling across the Atlantic for EMBA classes is not practically possible.. I would stick to Europe.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2010
Posts: 22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile review - what's your assessment. [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 08:59
bakfed wrote:
I think you're pretty honest with yourself. Given your age and experience, fulltime MBA programs in the top 10 b-school at the States will be pretty slim. You would really have to convince the adcoms why you want it and why you didn't opt for the EMBA. In addition, you're going to have to convince the adcom (and perhaps, yourself) that you'll be able to relate to the younger classmates who can be as young as 22, 23 years old.

I know top b-schools in Europe (LBS, INSEAD, etc.) are more forgiving when it comes to age; in fact, they tend to prefer older candidates. In order to not steer you the wrong way, you should think about where you want to work. I know you wrote down what you want to do post-MBA, but location is important as well. If you want to work in the States, you would want to attend a US-business school. It makes your life easier to opt for that since you'd have the connection already. If you want to work in Europe, then it would make more sense for you to attend a business school in Europe.


Thanks SM.
Slim – hmm I take that means if I am planning to target 5 Bschools applications, I’d be better off focusing my energy on European Schools.

I am a bit apprehensive above EBMA for 2 reasons:
• Not sure how the market perceives it?
• And the content of these courses – hard to believe their claim of having at par curriculum with full time.

1) What are your thoughts EMBA?

2) Do you think (I want a reality check here) – I should stay away from full time MBA and concentrate on EMBA even for European schools.

I’d like to move to US but since the chances are slim of doing a full time MBA from US and travelling across the Atlantic for EMBA classes is not practically possible.. I would stick to Europe.
Retired Moderator
avatar
Status: Darden Class of 2013
Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Posts: 1838
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile review - what's your assessment. [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 09:15
f22raptor wrote:
bakfed wrote:
I think you're pretty honest with yourself. Given your age and experience, fulltime MBA programs in the top 10 b-school at the States will be pretty slim. You would really have to convince the adcoms why you want it and why you didn't opt for the EMBA. In addition, you're going to have to convince the adcom (and perhaps, yourself) that you'll be able to relate to the younger classmates who can be as young as 22, 23 years old.

I know top b-schools in Europe (LBS, INSEAD, etc.) are more forgiving when it comes to age; in fact, they tend to prefer older candidates. In order to not steer you the wrong way, you should think about where you want to work. I know you wrote down what you want to do post-MBA, but location is important as well. If you want to work in the States, you would want to attend a US-business school. It makes your life easier to opt for that since you'd have the connection already. If you want to work in Europe, then it would make more sense for you to attend a business school in Europe.


Thanks SM.
Slim – hmm I take that means if I am planning to target 5 Bschools applications, I’d be better off focusing my energy on European Schools.

I am a bit apprehensive above EBMA for 2 reasons:
• Not sure how the market perceives it?
• And the content of these courses – hard to believe their claim of having at par curriculum with full time.

1) What are your thoughts EMBA?

2) Do you think (I want a reality check here) – I should stay away from full time MBA and concentrate on EMBA even for European schools.

I’d like to move to US but since the chances are slim of doing a full time MBA from US and travelling across the Atlantic for EMBA classes is not practically possible.. I would stick to Europe.


Granted that EMBAs are usually for people who want to continue on the same career path, but need that MBA to boost their career ladder upward, there are still people who go for it as a career-changing field. EMBA pursuers are generally older (in their 30s) and have a good, consistent work flow of the past 10 years. EMBA classes are smaller than FTMBAs; therefore, you'll not get to interact with as many folks as you'd like to. Let's take Wharton's EMBA for example: Wharton actually "ships" its professors from Philly out to San Francisco's EMBA program, just so students on either side of the coasts will get the same opportunity to learn from the same great professors. Your education is not going suffer simply because you opted for EMBA instead of the traditional 2-year full time MBA. Also realize that there's ALWAYS a chance of getting accepted into top bschools in the States, even at your age (because it does happen every year). You just need to be able to convince the AdComs that you really want to go there and pray that a bit of luck stays on your side when they view your application. But yes, you should do a reality check and really ask yourself what is it that you want to do after MBA. What do you want to get out of it? Where do you want to work afterwards? If locale doesn't matter to you at all, you might as well just focus on the European bschools as LSB and INSEAD are top-notched programs that can be easily compared to the top b-schools in the States. Ultimately, I don't think anyone should tell you to not apply to a certain school; I truly believe that's a remark that only you, yourself, can make. Afterall, you wrote "making dream a reality". :-D Best of luck!
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2010
Posts: 22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile review - what's your assessment. [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 09:23
Loud and clear. Thanks mate.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2010
Posts: 22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile review - what's your assessment. [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 13:44
bakfed wrote:
f22raptor wrote:
bakfed wrote:
I think you're pretty honest with yourself. Given your age and experience, fulltime MBA programs in the top 10 b-school at the States will be pretty slim. You would really have to convince the adcoms why you want it and why you didn't opt for the EMBA. In addition, you're going to have to convince the adcom (and perhaps, yourself) that you'll be able to relate to the younger classmates who can be as young as 22, 23 years old.

I know top b-schools in Europe (LBS, INSEAD, etc.) are more forgiving when it comes to age; in fact, they tend to prefer older candidates. In order to not steer you the wrong way, you should think about where you want to work. I know you wrote down what you want to do post-MBA, but location is important as well. If you want to work in the States, you would want to attend a US-business school. It makes your life easier to opt for that since you'd have the connection already. If you want to work in Europe, then it would make more sense for you to attend a business school in Europe.


Thanks SM.
Slim – hmm I take that means if I am planning to target 5 Bschools applications, I’d be better off focusing my energy on European Schools.

I am a bit apprehensive above EBMA for 2 reasons:
• Not sure how the market perceives it?
• And the content of these courses – hard to believe their claim of having at par curriculum with full time.

1) What are your thoughts EMBA?

2) Do you think (I want a reality check here) – I should stay away from full time MBA and concentrate on EMBA even for European schools.

I’d like to move to US but since the chances are slim of doing a full time MBA from US and travelling across the Atlantic for EMBA classes is not practically possible.. I would stick to Europe.


Granted that EMBAs are usually for people who want to continue on the same career path, but need that MBA to boost their career ladder upward, there are still people who go for it as a career-changing field. EMBA pursuers are generally older (in their 30s) and have a good, consistent work flow of the past 10 years. EMBA classes are smaller than FTMBAs; therefore, you'll not get to interact with as many folks as you'd like to. Let's take Wharton's EMBA for example: Wharton actually "ships" its professors from Philly out to San Francisco's EMBA program, just so students on either side of the coasts will get the same opportunity to learn from the same great professors. Your education is not going suffer simply because you opted for EMBA instead of the traditional 2-year full time MBA. Also realize that there's ALWAYS a chance of getting accepted into top bschools in the States, even at your age (because it does happen every year). You just need to be able to convince the AdComs that you really want to go there and pray that a bit of luck stays on your side when they view your application. But yes, you should do a reality check and really ask yourself what is it that you want to do after MBA. What do you want to get out of it? Where do you want to work afterwards? If locale doesn't matter to you at all, you might as well just focus on the European bschools as LSB and INSEAD are top-notched programs that can be easily compared to the top b-schools in the States. Ultimately, I don't think anyone should tell you to not apply to a certain school; I truly believe that's a remark that only you, yourself, can make. Afterall, you wrote "making dream a reality". :-D Best of luck!


I see you point. I will focus on European schools. My initial thoughts are to apply for the following (6 in total over the next 6 mths)
1) LBS (EMBA)
2) INSEAD - This is one year, so FTMBA
3) ChicagoBooth (EMBA)
4) IMD - FT MBA (checked the class profile, 30ish avg age)
5) Wharton/Harvard/Stanford/NYU Stern - NEED guidance here. I am 34 and I have finance and accounting background and I'd like to continue in finance. I plan to apply only in 2 US schools FT MBA. Which ones do you think are more flexible when it comes to age.

Thanks for the words of wisdom.
Retired Moderator
avatar
Status: Darden Class of 2013
Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Posts: 1838
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile review - what's your assessment. [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 17:24
just an fyi

I am, by no means, a qualified admission counselor. I'm simply another gmatclub user who has been reading these profile evaluations for way too long, thus dare to give out my own opinions. If you want to get nit-picky information, which is totally fine, I would recommend you post your profile into the actual admission consultant's section on gmatclub. Alex Chu and Accepted.com both do a great job accessing your profile. It's a good idea to start there :-D
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Profile review - what's your assessment.   [#permalink] 21 Jul 2010, 17:24
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Profile Assessment CDevin 1 27 Jan 2011, 22:37
Experts publish their posts in the topic Profile Assessment CDevin 1 26 Jan 2011, 21:44
Profile Assessment CDevin 8 26 Jan 2011, 13:45
Profile Assessment righton12252000 1 23 Jul 2009, 10:34
Experts publish their posts in the topic Profile assessment Bdevil25 1 27 Sep 2007, 13:52
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Profile review - what's your assessment.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: OasisGC



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.