Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 20:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile review with extremely low IR score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Profile review with extremely low IR score [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 12:58
Everyone,

Would you please help me to evaluate my profile?

I am a 31 years old first generation Korean American. To me English is my second language.
Undergrad: Accounting major with 3.43 GPA from public University
GMAT: 690 (M 50, V 33) AWA 4.0 IR 1 :cry: (my previous score was 640 with AWA 5.0 and IR 6.. not sure what happened to me on the exam day)
WE: Big 4 accounting firm : audit function in US office 3.5 years (CPA)
Same firm in Vietnam: business development function for 2.5 years
Social networking startup: co-founder for 5 months (not going too well)

Goal after MBA (in the order of preferences): 1. try another startup 2. work for other startups or more established IT companies such as Google 3. work for VC.

Target schools: HBS, Sloan, Stanford, Haas (other than these schools, I heard that Babson is known for its entrepreneurship program. I want to know how advantageous Babson MBA is to me considering ROI, etc.)

I have already applied to few schools and was dinged from HBS and Booth and waiting on few others, but losing confidence as time goes by.

I would highly appreciate everyone's comments on areas of improvement (such as I MUST re-take GMAT and increase especially IR score, etc.), better matching schools, career advises, etc.

Thanks all. Cheers.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile review with extremely low IR score [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 16:05
I read your profile and have a few comments:

You applied to schools that are very competitive and the fact that one part of your GMAT score is so low is definitely going to impact your chances. Also, for most of these schools, your GPA and your core GMAT score (690) are on the low side of what is acceptable. You are also in a very competitive demographic and this means that your credentials are going to be scrutinized even more.

I found your work experience interesting and am sure that admissions will give you a lot of credit for starting your own company -- even though it may not be working out as well as planned. However, this alone is not enough to overcome some of the deficiencies i see in your candidacy. For some schools, these deficiencies can be overcome and others they cannot. This means that you would have to be more strategic about which schools to apply to. For instance, if I had advised you, I would have recommended that you not apply to HBS, Stanford or Haas and that you needed to retake your GMAT exam to address the IR score. I would have recommended that you apply to some other schools with strong entrepreneurial programs that are slightly less competitive like Johnson, Anderson, Ross and Stern.

However, before you jump into applying again, I strongly recommend that you have a consultant review your application and see if there were any other problems with your application.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile review with extremely low IR score [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 16:45
okwon619,
Your lowish verbal score is a bigger issue for you than your IR score, which business schools are still evaluating as a factor in admissions decisions. Forbes ranked Babson 44th in its 'Return on Investment' B-school ranking, and while HBS and Booth will be reaches for you, you can be competitive at higher-ranked ROI schools than Babson. I would need to know more about your profile to suggest specific schools, but think you would be competitive at programs like Michigan, UNC, Texas, CMU Tepper among others. Feel free to email me your resume/CV: paulbodine@yahoo.com.

--Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, www.paulsbodine.com/testimonials

okwon619 wrote:
Everyone,

Would you please help me to evaluate my profile?

I am a 31 years old first generation Korean American. To me English is my second language.
Undergrad: Accounting major with 3.43 GPA from public University
GMAT: 690 (M 50, V 33) AWA 4.0 IR 1 :cry: (my previous score was 640 with AWA 5.0 and IR 6.. not sure what happened to me on the exam day)
WE: Big 4 accounting firm : audit function in US office 3.5 years (CPA)
Same firm in Vietnam: business development function for 2.5 years
Social networking startup: co-founder for 5 months (not going too well)

Goal after MBA (in the order of preferences): 1. try another startup 2. work for other startups or more established IT companies such as Google 3. work for VC.

Target schools: HBS, Sloan, Stanford, Haas (other than these schools, I heard that Babson is known for its entrepreneurship program. I want to know how advantageous Babson MBA is to me considering ROI, etc.)

I have already applied to few schools and was dinged from HBS and Booth and waiting on few others, but losing confidence as time goes by.

I would highly appreciate everyone's comments on areas of improvement (such as I MUST re-take GMAT and increase especially IR score, etc.), better matching schools, career advises, etc.

Thanks all. Cheers.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Re: Profile review with extremely low IR score   [#permalink] 22 Feb 2013, 16:45