Joined: 09 Aug 2007
Schools: Wharton R2 (Int), Columbia (Ding), Kellogg R2, Duke R2 (Int)
WE 1: International Development (2 years)
WE 2: Ibanking (3.5 years)
, given: 3
Profile / Unique Timing Questions [#permalink]
05 Mar 2010, 22:22
Thanks for taking the time to answer everyone's questions on this forum. I have two questions, one that relates to my story as a whole and one that relates to my future application timeline. About my story. I graduated from a top three state school with a relatively low GPA, 3.1, double major econ and history (econ gpa probably sub 3.0, ironic because quant is my strong suit and to be blunt I just hated the econ dept/professors so didn't try all that hard). After taking a "year off" to work in the finance department of a ski resort, I secured a position at a regional investment bank, although it technically operated as a merchant bank as we participated in many of our own transactions. Due to the structure, I was gained traditional ibanking experience as well as a private equity experience. I worked there for 4 years, 2 as an analyst and 2 as an associate. My experience here was tremendous. We didn't have VP level staff so deals were staffed with myself and another jr staff member and an MD or two. Needless to say I had an extremely high level of responsibility with very minimal over site. Last year, due to terrible market conditions, I decided to move on and get some life experience. I left on my own will and on good terms with my bosses. I joined the Peace Corps as a small business development volunteer. Currently, I'm trying to determine if I want to go back to Bschool. Due to the astronomical costs I only want to go if I can get into a top program. Programs that I'm interested in are UCLA, Cal, Columbia, NYU, Duke, Texas, Stanford, UPenn, Dartmouth, and LBS. My application essays would probably be something along the lines of how I want to pair finance and strategy into international development work, where most professionals are trained in academics not management. For the sake of argument lets say I can score in the 700 GMAT range (680-720), because if I don't I'm sure it would basically eliminate my chances. My PC service is scheduled to end at the end of August 2011. This is a firm date. I could technically leave the program early, but that is selfish, unprofessional and doesn't honor the two year commitment that I signed up for. I'm currently torn as to when to apply. I think it would be a very hard transition going from PC life to Bschool life with only a 1-2 week adjustment period. Also, after PC service I want to travel for a decent period of time to experience the different cultures of the surrounding countries. With all that being said my two questions are as follows:
1. Based on this small sampling of info do you believe I can gain admittance into one/some of the aforementioned schools? What are your thoughts?
2. How would schools view the huge time gap if I were to wait and apply in 2011, basically leaving myself unemployed from Sept 2011 to August 2012 when classes begin. Would it be a factor or are the more understanding due to the unique circumstances of the PC?
Thanks in advance for your help.