Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile within; please advise me!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.19
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile within; please advise me! [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2011, 15:24
All -

Ok, so here is my profile. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1) 710 GMAT 46V 41Q 6.0 AWA (first try, never took a practice test).

2) B.S. Business - State School; 3.2 Undergrad GPA (3.7 Major); Worked 30 - 35 hrs/wk in school; Fraternity member; Numerous community service projects.

3) 6+ years of work experience in real estate - specifically student housing. Experience in public and private sectors, promoted several times, went from entry level to top manager in company quickly. Lots of recognition, awards, etc. in large private company. Quick success, great letters of recommendation from both Universities and private company. Much of my work experience has revolved around quantitative analysis (forecasting, market analysis, budget development and oversight) which could help off-set the skewed GMAT score.

4) 29 year old white guy. Grew up in farm family, parents do not have college education. Have always supported myself; paid for education, paid to study abroad and learn Spanish / Intl. Business. Unique experiences moving from place to place with company doing internal consulting, due dilligence, marketing, etc.

5) I have worked in privatized student housing and learned much about the operations, acquisition, and financing of existing properties. I then moved to the public sector to gain experience in development of new housing from the public angle. I want to go to a top MBA program to network and find individuals to eventually begin a student housing company.

I currently live in SoCal and am looking at the big schools in the area first (UCLA, USC, UCI Merage), but I am also interested in branching out (Haas, Stanford, Kellogg, Wharton, Ross, Booth, Stern). What do my chances look like for these programs? Would I be more suited for a lower tier program? Any suggestions? Any advice would certainly help. Thank you!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile within; please advise me! [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2011, 18:06
Expert's post
Hi ttreads,

As a quick note from what you had written, we normally do not recommend using letters of recommendations from professors. If you are not sure whether a recommender is appropriate, think about the types of questions they will have to answer. These questions are often frequently linked to your leadership skills, your performance on teams, communication skills, ethics, and more. A professor is usually not in a position to comment on these traits.

For the schools you have listed, your GMAT score is strong, but for the more competitive programs you will need to differentiate your candidacy through your work experience or outside activities. Programs are going to be looking for applicants with leadership experience and for individuals who have made an impact. These need to be emphasized on your application. Your personal essays and recommendations are going to be critical.

As a note, if it was your first ever time taking the GMAT test and you believe you can improve your score by 40+ points, you may want to consider the test again. Business schools will only consider your highest score, as it is self-reported on your application.

I hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.19
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile within; please advise me! [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2011, 10:56
Thank you for the post. I really appreciate your insight.

I guess I was not very clear when I metioned the recommendation piece. I wasn't referring to professors who could provide recommendations. It's been too long since undergrad and I haven't continued the relationships to ask them to write anything about me currently. I actually work for a University now in the public sector of student housing and was referring to the fact that I could get recs from two different sources, the private company I worked for and the public University that I now work for.

I certainly think I could provide that differentiation that you were referring to. I have managed many different projects and upwards of 40 people at a time at different properties that I have been sent to. In addition, I have turned properties around quickly making the impact you were describing. I have a vast array of experiences to relate that would make that clear. Finally, working in student housing provides the backdrop for a story for just about any situation brought up during an interview...

Thank you again for the input. Any other advice is always welcome!