Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:39 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:MIT
Send PM
Re: Profiles - Admitted to Top B-Schools w/ Low GMAT or Low GPA [#permalink]
JunhungChen wrote:
gentlemen, and ladies, can you still take online course when youve miserably graduated from college?
i would think about that too taking 100 calculus and economics courses to raise my stupid grade up
and how much is each course?
if its not too costly, then i'll definitely go with that

Well if you've already graduated, taking a class isn't going to have any impact on your GPA (at least at almost all schools in the U.S.), if that's what you mean. I believe the advantage is that you generate a supplementary transcript that shows you have since done well in particular courses.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
JunhungChen wrote:
gentlemen, and ladies, can you still take online course when youve miserably graduated from college?
i would think about that too taking 100 calculus and economics courses to raise my stupid grade up
and how much is each course?
if its not too costly, then i'll definitely go with that

There are varying degrees of impact. But generally Alternate Transcript will help to support that you are A) serious about going to b-school, B) getting A's show that you have the capacity to succeed in Bschool.

Just to update my info.

UG GPA 2.1

CBS ED - Ding w/o Int
Chicago - Ding w/o Int
Ross - Ding w/ Int
Kellogg - WL + Summer WL

Kellogg - Ding w/ Int
UCLA PT - Admit
Ross - Admit
INSEAD - WL w/ Int
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
Happy to report an admit from INSEAD this morning. I really think I got lucky with some of the admits, I'm not that good, but I do think there are a lot of things one can improve about their application and being informed and prepared always helps.

I've been sharing my experience and trying to help everyone who has reached out to me with their predicament and will continue to do so the best I can. I'm honored to be an inspiration to others despite my 1.87 GPA. For the benefit of other readers however, please consider posting on the forum as well. I recognize that not everyone feels comfortable sharing details of their story even in an anonymous fashion, so if you prefer to chat offline, I'm always available.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ok, from now on, if anyone or if you know anyone that's got into top business schools with f'ing low gpa's, i mean ''f'ing''!! someone considers 3.1 low, and hell no, it ain't low for people like us who don't know how many f's they've got.
if somebody has gpa below 3.0, 2.5 or even lower, and got into schools like they listed before, please show ur your gpa, gmat score, or your work experience in more detail. let us know how to defeat the low gpa. and of course, so we can get to understand how these schools evalulate their applicants, thanks a bunch!!!!
i know applying to good business schools is not an easy road, and i know having gpa is bad for your chances, but i wanna know how much i have to do to make it back, thanks really!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:IE Business School, Manchester Business School, HEC Paris, Rotterdam School of Management, Babson College
GPA: 2.5
Send PM
Went to a small liberal arts school in iowa, graduated with a cgpa 2.7/2.8 double major business and political scieneces. Relatively active in extra curriculars, RA, political science club, international club, fraternity, tutor for political science and micro/macro 1. 80 % scholarship and worked three jobs on campus. Pretty much everywhere from the cafteria, alumni office, janitorial staff, library
Have approx four and a half years of cross border banking experience, 2 and a half in retail banking ( consumer risk, product management ( asset product- secured and unsecured ), sales in Pakistan and then moved to Dubai for Corporate Banking- trade finance covering the regional markets of Middle East and North Africa.
Contributed over the years for humanity i.e citizens foundation
Just gave my gmat, got a 580.
Possible preferences are UVA, Georgetown, Columbia, NYU, Cornell, Fuqua, Kellogg
Any advice, recommendations, suggestions ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
am i too reaching here with my scores?
gpa UG 2.92 Engineering
gpa Grad 3.27 (rounded from 3.267) Comp. Sci
GMAT 720
Decent extracurricular in school (student senate etc.) but out of school job and MS took a big chunk of time...

I am at a place where i just cant "f'n stand it anymore" and i need to get the heck out before i go berserk so i am applying to a lot of schools...
R1:
CBS ED
Guizetta ED
Fuqua ED
Yale
Keenan ED

R2 - as many as i can before R2 deadline...
Johnson
tepper
ross
McDonough
darden
stern
tuck
kellog
booth

The bottom 4 are on my "wishlist" although my goal is still Yale because of the financial incentive (parents work there so some tuition relief). I know Yale and CBS are gonna be far reaches but other schools my gpa is bit on the low scale but my GMAT is on the higher scale so hope it balances out... I didn't get any Fs but I did F up my junior year with trying to go Pre-Med from eng and that failed with Ds :( Also there was a class that was a pain to take and i took it 3 times and got a C on - mostly because it was at 8am all 3 times i took it due to schedule conflicts... Basically i went from Dean's list fresh-soph to the crapper in jun-sen....
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
am i too reaching here with my scores?
gpa UG 2.92 Engineering
gpa Grad 3.27 (rounded from 3.267) Comp. Sci
GMAT 720
Decent extracurricular in school (student senate etc.) but out of school job and MS took a big chunk of time...

I am at a place where i just cant "f'n stand it anymore" and i need to get the heck out before i go berserk so i am applying to a lot of schools...
R1:
CBS ED
Guizetta ED
Fuqua ED
Yale
Keenan ED

R2 - as many as i can before R2 deadline...
Johnson
tepper
ross
McDonough
darden
stern
tuck
kellog
booth

The bottom 4 are on my "wishlist" although my goal is still Yale because of the financial incentive (parents work there so some tuition relief). I know Yale and CBS are gonna be far reaches but other schools my gpa is bit on the low scale but my GMAT is on the higher scale so hope it balances out... I didn't get any Fs but I did F up my junior year with trying to go Pre-Med from eng and that failed with Ds :( Also there was a class that was a pain to take and i took it 3 times and got a C on - mostly because it was at 8am all 3 times i took it due to schedule conflicts... Basically i went from Dean's list fresh-soph to the crapper in jun-sen....

First there are a couple of things, you didn't say how long you've been working and what your work experience.

Second, that is WAY too many schools! Realistically 6 solid apps. On your list you have a pretty good list in that if covers some schools you have a good opp of getting in. Sonibubu has a lower GPA than you and got into kellogg/booth with masters. I was waitlisted at Kellogg my first year and will be going to Ross (with wl at insead and admit at UCLA Pt). So it's definitely possible.

By my perception, johnson, duke, ross. Yale is not known to be low GPA friendly, but since you have support I don't know. (same with stern, Cbs)

But you definitely can get in somewhere. Look at the GPA for me, drsatisfaction, ariel, sonibubu.
Current Student
Send PM
GoBruins wrote:
First there are a couple of things, you didn't say how long you've been working and what your work experience.

Second, that is WAY too many schools! Realistically 6 solid apps. On your list you have a pretty good list in that if covers some schools you have a good opp of getting in. Sonibubu has a lower GPA than you and got into kellogg/booth with masters. I was waitlisted at Kellogg my first year and will be going to Ross (with wl at insead and admit at UCLA Pt). So it's definitely possible.

By my perception, johnson, duke, ross. Yale is not known to be low GPA friendly, but since you have support I don't know. (same with stern, Cbs)

But you definitely can get in somewhere. Look at the GPA for me, drsatisfaction, ariel, sonibubu.

Oh, I have been working for 55 months now and doing Software engineering. Didnt get a chance to get into leadership role due to the size of the sites (they are big companies but the site is very small).
I know the school list is quite long but i REALLY want to get the heck out of here! :( I checked the gpa range and yale is tough but the economics (i think i get free tuition due to parents working there) i just couldn't pass up IF i get in...
Here is part of my spread sheet with some us news gpa (10-90%) range ..
columbia 3.1-3.83
yale 715 3.13-3.85
north carolina kenan 2.82-3.8
duke fuqua 2.96-3.8

R2
cornell johnson 2.8-3.8
georgetown mcdonough 2.96-3.87
Michigan Ross 2.9-3.8
virginia darden 2.99-3.8
carnegie mellon tepper 2.88-3.92

booth 3.14-3.88
kellog 3.12-3.89
dartmouth tuck 3.15-3.87
nyu stern 3.06-3.81

Basically i am in the lower range for all of them but my GMAT hopefully can make it look better.If it werent for Columbia and Yale I wouldve loved to apply to kellogs and booth since they are also both reaches - but too many reach apps is gonna hurt me quite a bit... For my list of R2s - it is more or less if i can get to it i will do it so i most likely wont be applying to them all but hopefully a couple from that list like Johnson,ross etc..
Any suggestions on the order of schools i should apply in R2 after the primary 5? maybe put them in "groups" to pick from? i think if i really try hard i might squeeze in 4 from R2....
thanks!
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
GoBruins wrote:

Oh, I have been working for 55 months now and doing Software engineering. Didnt get a chance to get into leadership role due to the size of the sites (they are big companies but the site is very small).
I know the school list is quite long but i REALLY want to get the heck out of here! :( I checked the gpa range and yale is tough but the economics (i think i get free tuition due to parents working there) i just couldn't pass up IF i get in...
Here is part of my spread sheet with some us news gpa (10-90%) range ..
columbia 3.1-3.83
yale 715 3.13-3.85
north carolina kenan 2.82-3.8
duke fuqua 2.96-3.8

R2
cornell johnson 2.8-3.8
georgetown mcdonough 2.96-3.87
Michigan Ross 2.9-3.8
virginia darden 2.99-3.8
carnegie mellon tepper 2.88-3.92

booth 3.14-3.88
kellog 3.12-3.89
dartmouth tuck 3.15-3.87
nyu stern 3.06-3.81

Basically i am in the lower range for all of them but my GMAT hopefully can make it look better.If it werent for Columbia and Yale I wouldve loved to apply to kellogs and booth since they are also both reaches - but too many reach apps is gonna hurt me quite a bit... For my list of R2s - it is more or less if i can get to it i will do it so i most likely wont be applying to them all but hopefully a couple from that list like Johnson,ross etc..
Any suggestions on the order of schools i should apply in R2 after the primary 5? maybe put them in "groups" to pick from? i think if i really try hard i might squeeze in 4 from R2....
thanks!

This is gonna be my 2cents, I would not apply to columbia and apply to either kellogg or booth. The reason I say that is, having applied ED to CBS it might be more difficult since there application does not stress EC's very much. Also since Kellogg you will get at least an interview. Chicago is also a little more generious on grades in my opinion if you can show depth and intellence.

CBS tends to be more stereotypical in admissions.

Pretty much if I was you (I was you, but didn't have the I must leave this year)

I would suggest
R1
Yale
Kellogg (or Booth)
Duke (or Ross)
CMU (or GT)

R2
Ross (or Duke)
darden
UNC
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Scrum Alliance
Own Kudos [?]: 169 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V38
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Profiles - Admitted to Top B-Schools w/ Low GMAT or Low GPA [#permalink]
GoBruins wrote:
This is gonna be my 2cents, I would not apply to columbia and apply to either kellogg or booth. The reason I say that is, having applied ED to CBS it might be more difficult since there application does not stress EC's very much. Also since Kellogg you will get at least an interview. Chicago is also a little more generious on grades in my opinion if you can show depth and intellence.

Pretty much if I was you (I was you, but didn't have the I must leave this year)

I would suggest
R1
Yale
Kellogg (or Booth)
Duke (or Ross)
CMU (or GT)

R2
Ross (or Duke)
darden
UNC

What does applying ED to a school mean? I am really ignorant of the lingo here on forum. Thanks

Originally posted by hideyoshi on 04 Jun 2010, 14:15.
Last edited by hideyoshi on 15 Sep 2015, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
hideyoshi wrote:

What does applying ED to a school mean? I am really ignorant of the lingo here on forum. Thanks

ED means Early Decision, EA is early action.

for CBS they have a ED and regular application period, which is similiar to most people's R1, R2 except if you apply ED and get accepted you have to go. You need to sign that you will pay 5K upon acceptance and are required to withdrawl all applications. This is why someone people think CBS has an image problem, aka yield whores. Since you have 100% yield for half your class.

Certain schools have ED/EA which have different requirements.

However, my comment with CBS was that looking at the spreadsheets online and the forum post, ED doesn't really help low GPA, low GMAT applicants all that much as opposed to regular applicants.
Current Student
Send PM
GoBruins wrote:

I would suggest
R1
Yale
Kellogg (or Booth)
Duke (or Ross)
CMU (or GT)

R2
Ross (or Duke)
darden
UNC

I see... i think i am in a bit deep with CBS now since i am done with app except the 2nd essay... What school is GT? Is it georgia tech? i think i want to get the EDs in first so i have a "safety net" so maybe:

R1
CBS
Yale
Kellogg
Duke ED
UNC ED

R2
Ross
darden
CMU

also, does it matter if I apply to kellog or booth R1 or R2? Just seems a bit rough with Yale and kellog/booth up there R1...

Since i want to get into a school and Emory seems easier than UNC.. should I go ED emory intead of UNC or i should be *safe* without emory?
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
GT is georgetown. I am just going off your list.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
@wharton there are tons of people with below 670 on their GMATs... albit its mostly white caucasian females..with some other wow factor...

have hope people...GMAT and GPA are important but wont keep you from achieving your goals of getting an admit..just make sure you reflect your accomplishments in the best light and always remember that you are in a horse race..there are several ways to cross the finish line..work hard and achieve big!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
GoBruins...huge congrats on Ross...man you made! come down to Philly and we'll celebrate.. I am so happy for you! Shows that leadership is earned the hard way!
Current Student
Send PM
for those that got into top schools with low gpa/gmat scores, did you get any scholarships or it is all loans? Just curious since scholarships are merit/app based right?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
for those that got into top schools with low gpa/gmat scores, did you get any scholarships or it is all loans? Just curious since scholarships are merit/app based right?

I only received scholarship money from the non-MBA portion of the joint degree programs to which I applied. Hopefully some other applicants received scholarships with their low GPAs.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11