Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profiles of Entrepreneurs Applying - Add Yours

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Awesome Level: 10++
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 26

Profiles of Entrepreneurs Applying - Add Yours [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 22:26
would love to see

Last edited by bond007 on 13 Nov 2012, 08:24, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 175

Kudos [?]: 890 [1] , given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Profiles of entrepreneurs applying. [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 09:14
This post received
KUDOS
This discussion needs to be conducted.
Entrepreneurs pls input your thoughts.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Current Student

Re: Profiles of entrepreneurs applying. [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 20:29
ok seriously no entrepreneurs applying this year?? :oops: :oops: please tell me there are more!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profiles of entrepreneurs applying. [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 20:46
idk. you've done some pretty awesome things though.

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Profiles of entrepreneurs applying. [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 07:01
This post received
KUDOS
im an entrepreneur applying this year, All my applications are in.

I started an all natural dietary supplement company, with sales offices in Los Angeles, London and production in Poland.
Undergrad: Top 15 School in California, go bruins!
Major: Business Economics and minor in accounting
GPA: 3.6ish
Nationality: Half Polish and half korean, with dual nationality in America and Poland.
Languages: Fluent english, korean, french and polish
Applying to: HBS, Stern, CBS, and Wharton
Extracurricular: Used my startup to donate products to Indonesia during the flood, partnered with the Ugandan government for microfinancing villagers to sell us raw materials. Donated a lot of our products to haiti (but hopefully I can bring that up during Interviews since I didn't put this in my essays). Founded an expatriate club in Poland.

I was a bit worried about my young age but most of my essays focused on my startup (obtaining deals in US and UK, traveling 150k miles worldwide this year, living abroad, stories about suppliers in China, Uganda, India, Europe, etc). I had a stint in corp finance so I rounded my profile by talking about that.

I hear HBS, out of the schools I am applying to, is more friendly to younger candidates.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profiles of entrepreneurs applying. [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 15:47
If you guys have successful business already then what makes you want to get MBA's (I don't ask that trying to clown you. I'm seriously curious to hear of what motivates an entrepreneur toward those ends.)

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

Current Student

Re: Profiles of entrepreneurs applying. [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 18:28
vannbj wrote:
If you guys have successful business already then what makes you want to get MBA's (I don't ask that trying to clown you. I'm seriously curious to hear of what motivates an entrepreneur toward those ends.)

simple answer:

One can always stand to improve themselves. For me it would be to learn about being a better leader/manager. Having gone to a public school for undergrad the quality of my college network is not the greatest, and the reputation of my school outside of NYC is not well known. So being able to build a high caliber network is a great advantage to any businessman. Besides I'd love to get a shot at Venture capital!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: Profiles of entrepreneurs applying. [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2010, 17:24
entrepreneur as well, in manila, philippines.
started out with MNC, quit after one year because i had won venture capital in college that i could only touch if i put up a business. which i did.
failed first business badly (great story for "learnings from a mistake" questions though). the next two became wildly successful food companies, until 2008 when food prices soared.
profits weren't as high, so i sold the business and backpacked around southeast asia, then started reapplying to b-schools (tried last year, all dings). not sure where this profile will get me, but hopefully i'll get in at least one good school. have interviewed with darden, so it's gotten me that far. 6 days before i find out the results.
good luck to everyone!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Profiles of entrepreneurs applying. [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 19:44
bump for this years applicants and last years admits
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profiles of Entrepreneurs Applying - Add Yours [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 03:20
Hi guys!
Like these topic.

Brief profile:

Age 25
Entrepreneur - majorly online games producing and publishing
Schools - HBS, Stanford
Region - Eastern Europe

Passionate about business :-D That's me
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Profiles of Entrepreneurs Applying - Add Yours [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 04:21
Am applying this year.

Entrepreneur- Founded an Ecommerce venture. Running it for past 2 yrs.

Looking forward to hear from more entrepreneurs applying this yr.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Profiles of Entrepreneurs Applying - Add Yours [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 10:46
Nice thread, thanks for the bump :-)
My profile:
Nationality: Indian
Undergrad: Engineering, B.E. Computer Science from PESIT, Bangalore, India (VTU)
GPA: 69.2% {University didn't have a GPA system, need help on this one from fellow VTU students, if any}
GMAT: 720
Work Experience: Joined Goldman Sachs but left in 6 months to join my family business (2.5 yrs exp). Father is having an established business of cement and two wheelers with revenues touching $20M. Looking after the two wheelers business more or less completely for the last two years. Completely revamped the IT infrastructure of my business. Have a great story to tell on growth & how I improved things but don't have anything to show that I started from scratch. Also no significant social work done (apart from monetary charity).
Also worried about recommendations as the person who best knows my work & my tricks is my father. Can't share most of my tricks with the company personnel as they will share it with competition & I stand to loose my USP. (which is monetarily worth more to me than the post MBA salary)...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Profiles of Entrepreneurs Applying - Add Yours [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 17:23
Quote:
Undergrad: Engineering, B.E. Computer Science from PESIT, Bangalore, India (VTU)
GPA: 69.2% {University didn't have a GPA system, need help on this one from fellow VTU students, if any}

Yaman, I am from Bangalore and studied under VTU. It'll be good to connect and share thoughts as we go through the application writing. Will send you a PM.
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Wharton, Stanford, Chicago
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Entrepreneur

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profiles of Entrepreneurs Applying - Add Yours [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2011, 15:48
Hi all,

I am also an entrepreneur.

Profile:
Nationality: US
Undergrad: Michigan (engineering), 3.56 GPA
GMAT: 740

I worked for McKinsey for 2 years, then left to start my own consulting firm with another partner. I think this is a serious plus for MBA applicants. There are a ton of people out there who fit the standard profile of 2 years prestigious bank or consultancy, and if you can spin your entrepreneurial experience the right way, it will set you apart.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profiles of Entrepreneurs Applying - Add Yours [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 00:05
Tom11 wrote:
Hi all,

I am also an entrepreneur.

Profile:
Nationality: US
Undergrad: Michigan (engineering), 3.56 GPA
GMAT: 740

I worked for McKinsey for 2 years, then left to start my own consulting firm with another partner. I think this is a serious plus for MBA applicants. There are a ton of people out there who fit the standard profile of 2 years prestigious bank or consultancy, and if you can spin your entrepreneurial experience the right way, it will set you apart.

for sure! I think that your switch was a serious step. How is your business?
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Wharton, Stanford, Chicago
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Entrepreneur

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profiles of Entrepreneurs Applying - Add Yours [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 08:42
@Izvos -

Business is overall great, but the big problem for us is that a consulting business is tough to scale. When you are involved in the physical intermediation of goods, IT, etc., you can scale by making more product or hiring more programmers. For us, attracting high-quality individuals to a company without much of an established name brand means that rapidly growing the business is out of the questions - These types of businesses take many years to mature.

For me, I am leaving the company to use b-school as a platform to build a more scale-able career. Exactly what, and how I am going to frame this in my apps is something I am still thinking about!
Re: Profiles of Entrepreneurs Applying - Add Yours   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2011, 08:42