Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 01:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Promotion at work

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Promotion at work [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 10:44
I submitted my R2 applications earlier in Jan. I just got promoted at work. How can I notify schools of this change? I think this can materially impact my application.

Give me kudos if you like my post!

Manager
Manager

Re: Promotion at work [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2012, 09:39
shameless bump!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

Re: Promotion at work [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2012, 10:16
I wouldn't call the adcom to tell them about this. If you didn't think you'd have at least reasonable shot at the school (since you think this promotion may make a differnece), then I don't know if you should have applied there in the first place.

It's better to wait for the interview invite, and then you can throw this news to them. Hopefully your app is good enough to get that invite so you can share that. You also may be able to get in without needing to tell them this at all.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V46
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.49

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 85

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Promotion at work [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2012, 10:20
novanative wrote:
I wouldn't call the adcom to tell them about this. If you didn't think you'd have at least reasonable shot at the school (since you think this promotion may make a differnece), then I don't know if you should have applied there in the first place.

It's better to wait for the interview invite, and then you can throw this news to them. Hopefully your app is good enough to get that invite so you can share that. You also may be able to get in without needing to tell them this at all.

I couldn't disagree more with this.

AdComs regularly tell applicants that while they already receive so much information about the applicant, individuals should update the school with things that can "materially impact" your application. It's just matter of discerning what's important and what's not.

Just shoot an email to their general admissions office. You have nothing to lose.

Glad I Retook: 730 (Q44 V46) to 760 (Q50 V44)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

Re: Promotion at work [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2012, 10:27
faro wrote:
AdComs regularly tell applicants that while they already receive so much information about the applicant, individuals should update the school with things that can "materially impact" your application. It's just matter of discerning what's important and what's not.

Just shoot an email to their general admissions office. You have nothing to lose.

I think it may also depend on the school, and some probably do encourage it. Other schools don't want to receive more info after someone officially applies, and they say so on the application. Maybe I'm a bit conservative here, but I don't want to attract attention to myself after applying unless I know that I'm allowed to. That's my two cents on it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
WE: Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 1

Re: Promotion at work [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2012, 10:33
I agree w/ faro that it doesn't hurt. If your WE is a weakness, then i think it becomes essential. Getting a promotion is akin to getting a higher GMAT score. It shows that you're serious. I think promotions also hint at leadership potential,...which is ground zero for proving you're a strong B-school candidate.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
WE: Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 1

Re: Promotion at work [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2012, 10:38
[quote="novanative"]
I think it may also depend on the school, and some probably do encourage it. Other schools don't want to receive more info after someone officially applies, and they say so on the application. Maybe I'm a bit conservative here, but I don't want to attract attention to myself after applying unless I know that I'm allowed to. That's my two cents on it.[/quote]

Schools don't want to get bogged down in irrelevant details, but I'm sure they would gladly review information that may make their jobs easier. One of the things adcoms look for is career progression. I think passing along irrelevant information *may* hurt your candidacy because it calls into question your judgement and your ability to follow directions,...but I don't see how a job promotion falls into that category. I think its very relevant information.
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [2] , given: 27

Re: Promotion at work [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2012, 11:30
This post received
KUDOS
bschool2014 wrote:
I submitted my R2 applications earlier in Jan. I just got promoted at work. How can I notify schools of this change? I think this can materially impact my application.

1. Call up the school and explain your situation
2. Ask them if you should send in a write-up regarding this or if there are any other options.
3. If the school does accept a write-up, send it immediately. If the school rep says that he/she is just adding that info to your file, don't overdo it by still sending a write-up.
4. If the school does not allow you to update your submitted application, don't worry about it too much and wait until the interview.
5. During your interview carry an updated resume that indicates the promotion.
6. Explain to your interviewer that you have updated the resume based on your recent promotion and tailor your explanation depending on whether the school accepted or did not accept your update.

Don't sweat it too much..This is a very practical situation and no school will hold it against you since you did not even know about the promotion until after you had submitted your apps. I'm pretty sure you're not the first person to have been in this situation ever, and so the b-schools will also treat it accordingly! Now start following steps 1-6 for all your schools! :)

Cheers!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Promotion at work [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2012, 11:44
Thanks for everyone who replied. I called the admissions office and some schools - Kellogg and Sloan - agreed to consider it. Some other schools said its their policy not to consider any new information in the decision making.

Re: Promotion at work   [#permalink] 31 Jan 2012, 11:44