Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.82
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [1]
Given Kudos: 85
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V46
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
Re: Promotion at work [#permalink]
Kudos
novanative wrote:
I wouldn't call the adcom to tell them about this. If you didn't think you'd have at least reasonable shot at the school (since you think this promotion may make a differnece), then I don't know if you should have applied there in the first place.

It's better to wait for the interview invite, and then you can throw this news to them. Hopefully your app is good enough to get that invite so you can share that. You also may be able to get in without needing to tell them this at all.

I couldn't disagree more with this.

AdComs regularly tell applicants that while they already receive so much information about the applicant, individuals should update the school with things that can "materially impact" your application. It's just matter of discerning what's important and what's not.

Just shoot an email to their general admissions office. You have nothing to lose.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
faro wrote:
AdComs regularly tell applicants that while they already receive so much information about the applicant, individuals should update the school with things that can "materially impact" your application. It's just matter of discerning what's important and what's not.

Just shoot an email to their general admissions office. You have nothing to lose.

I think it may also depend on the school, and some probably do encourage it. Other schools don't want to receive more info after someone officially applies, and they say so on the application. Maybe I'm a bit conservative here, but I don't want to attract attention to myself after applying unless I know that I'm allowed to. That's my two cents on it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
WE:Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Send PM
I agree w/ faro that it doesn't hurt. If your WE is a weakness, then i think it becomes essential. Getting a promotion is akin to getting a higher GMAT score. It shows that you're serious. I think promotions also hint at leadership potential,...which is ground zero for proving you're a strong B-school candidate.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
WE:Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Send PM
[quote="novanative"]
I think it may also depend on the school, and some probably do encourage it. Other schools don't want to receive more info after someone officially applies, and they say so on the application. Maybe I'm a bit conservative here, but I don't want to attract attention to myself after applying unless I know that I'm allowed to. That's my two cents on it.[/quote]

Schools don't want to get bogged down in irrelevant details, but I'm sure they would gladly review information that may make their jobs easier. One of the things adcoms look for is career progression. I think passing along irrelevant information *may* hurt your candidacy because it calls into question your judgement and your ability to follow directions,...but I don't see how a job promotion falls into that category. I think its very relevant information.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [2]
Given Kudos: 27
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
bschool2014 wrote:
I submitted my R2 applications earlier in Jan. I just got promoted at work. How can I notify schools of this change? I think this can materially impact my application.

1. Call up the school and explain your situation
2. Ask them if you should send in a write-up regarding this or if there are any other options.
3. If the school does accept a write-up, send it immediately. If the school rep says that he/she is just adding that info to your file, don't overdo it by still sending a write-up.
4. If the school does not allow you to update your submitted application, don't worry about it too much and wait until the interview.
5. During your interview carry an updated resume that indicates the promotion.
6. Explain to your interviewer that you have updated the resume based on your recent promotion and tailor your explanation depending on whether the school accepted or did not accept your update.

Don't sweat it too much..This is a very practical situation and no school will hold it against you since you did not even know about the promotion until after you had submitted your apps. I'm pretty sure you're not the first person to have been in this situation ever, and so the b-schools will also treat it accordingly! Now start following steps 1-6 for all your schools! :)

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for everyone who replied. I called the admissions office and some schools - Kellogg and Sloan - agreed to consider it. Some other schools said its their policy not to consider any new information in the decision making.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
novanative wrote:
I wouldn't call the adcom to tell them about this. If you didn't think you'd have at least reasonable shot at the school (since you think this promotion may make a differnece), then I don't know if you should have applied there in the first place.

It's better to wait for the interview invite, and then you can throw this news to them. Hopefully your app is good enough to get that invite so you can share that. You also may be able to get in without needing to tell them this at all.

Yes I think this is the most natural way to do so.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
Absolutely update them with this information WITHOUT A SINGLE DOUBT. I feel like I should not even have to explain this. B schools are about vetting applicants for employers. If you show progression and are handed greater resposibility at work you are being vetted. And employers like applicants who have been promoted/are more vetted. I think some of my applicants have gotten admits and merit awards from promotions post submission. update your resume and send it on it.
GMAT Club Bot