Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Dec 2014, 04:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pronoun Ambiguity: NOT an absolute rule. (by Ron Purewal)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
9 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [9] , given: 36

Pronoun Ambiguity: NOT an absolute rule. (by Ron Purewal) [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 11:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (01:45) correct 37% (00:54) wrong based on 202 sessions
Question: Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system's ability to deal with all other pollutants.
A. an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system’s ability to deal
B. an especially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s capability of dealing
C. an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system in dealing
D. a specially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system to deal
E. a specially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s ability to deal

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

Determine whether a PRONOUN is ambiguous or not? (by the 'Ron Purewal')

Note: The content/knowledge was not produced by me; it was merely assimilated from Ron's sessions. ( Please visit http://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm for more such lessons). I have just compiled various notes , for my convenience,from his videos. (I am just playing a plagiarist).

Ambiguous Pronoun :

(As explained by Aristotle SC grail) Sometimes, a sentence is structured in a way that a pronoun can refer to more than one noun, and as a result the reader is confused about the author‘s intentions - what the pronoun is referring to.

John encouraged Jerry to start a pest control business
because he felt that the residents of the city would be
willing to pay for the same.

Who does 'he‘ refer to, John or Jerry?

John encouraged Jerry to start a pest control business
because John felt that the residents of the city would be
willing to pay for the same.

In this session(please see the attachment), Ron stated that Pronoun ambiguity is NOT an "absolute" rule. He further explained how to determine whether a pronoun is ambiguous or not.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Attachments

Pronoun Ambiguity (by Ron Purewal).docx [423.2 KiB]
Downloaded 310 times

To download please login or register as a user

Thanks and Regards!

P.S. +Kudos Please! in case you like my post. :)

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 12

Re: Pronoun Ambiguity: NOT an absolute rule. (by Ron Purewal) [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 11:18
Hi Goutamread, pls post more such posts like these. Interesting theory.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Followers: 345

Kudos [?]: 2883 [2] , given: 708

Re: Pronoun Ambiguity: NOT an absolute rule. (by Ron Purewal) [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 12:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 90

Kudos [?]: 619 [0], given: 110

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Pronoun Ambiguity: NOT an absolute rule. (by Ron Purewal) [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 21:25
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Why we've discarded E...? it's grammatically and logically fine I believe and more concise as compared to A.

Experts, can you please step in to clarify it.
Much appreciate your help.

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 54 [2] , given: 36

Re: Pronoun Ambiguity: NOT an absolute rule. (by Ron Purewal) [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 06:34
This post received
KUDOS
debayan222 wrote:
Why we've discarded E...? it's grammatically and logically fine I believe and more concise as compared to A.

E is incorrect :

1) Incorrect idiom : Because of VERBing (Correct Idiom: Because of Noun [OR] Because Clause)

2) Other issue in the problem:
* ESPECIALLY vs. SPECIALLY
“especially” = “to an unusually high degree” or “more so than comparable things”
These paintings are all attractive, but that one is especially attractive because of its use of chiaroscuro .
“specially” = "done in a special manner"
This dish, which is not on the normal menu, was specially prepared for our guest.

Thanks and Regards!

P.S. +Kudos Please! in case you like my post. :)

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 90

Kudos [?]: 619 [0], given: 110

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Pronoun Ambiguity: NOT an absolute rule. (by Ron Purewal) [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 09:35
Expert's post
goutamread wrote:
debayan222 wrote:

E is incorrect :

1) Incorrect idiom : Because of VERBing (Correct Idiom: Because of Noun [OR] Because Clause)

2) Other issue in the problem:
* ESPECIALLY vs. SPECIALLY
“especially” = “to an unusually high degree” or “more so than comparable things”
These paintings are all attractive, but that one is especially attractive because of its use of chiaroscuro .
“specially” = "done in a special manner"
This dish, which is not on the normal menu, was specially prepared for our guest.

Ah! right you're my friend..!
I just overlooked the single letter 'e'..

Anyways, thanks for pointing it out.

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB '15
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 54

Re: Pronoun Ambiguity: NOT an absolute rule. (by Ron Purewal) [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2014, 05:54
Hi,
Kindly help, whats wrong with D.

Veritas Prep - 650
MGMAT 1 590
MGMAT 2 640 (V48/Q31)

Please help the community by giving Kudos.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 69

CAT Tests
Re: Pronoun Ambiguity: NOT an absolute rule. (by Ron Purewal) [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2014, 11:34
Can you provide me Official questions on "pronoun ambiguity" ?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V33
GPA: 3.3
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Pronoun Ambiguity: NOT an absolute rule. (by Ron Purewal) [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2014, 09:27
Hi. I am not sure but isn't "respiratory system's " in the option A is wrong because we cannot use possessive case with non-living things. I personally have never seen a possessive case with organs. Do give back a reply.
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 231

Kudos [?]: 375 [0], given: 5

Re: Pronoun Ambiguity: NOT an absolute rule. (by Ron Purewal) [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2014, 12:12
Expert's post
addyudit wrote:
Hi. I am not sure but isn't "respiratory system's " in the option A is wrong because we cannot use possessive case with non-living things. I personally have never seen a possessive case with organs. Do give back a reply.

Interesting point. Though it might seem strange, using a possessive with inanimate objects (non-living things), is perfectly fine grammatically (and logically). Something doesn't have to be a person to possess things. A car's weight, a tree's color, India's various climates, etc.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V33
GPA: 3.3
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Pronoun Ambiguity: NOT an absolute rule. (by Ron Purewal) [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2014, 23:39
KyleWiddison wrote:
addyudit wrote:

Interesting point. Though it might seem strange, using a possessive with inanimate objects (non-living things), is perfectly fine grammatically (and logically). Something doesn't have to be a person to possess things. A car's weight, a tree's color, India's various climates, etc.

KW

As far as I have read in one or two grammar books that it is wrong to use possessive form of inanimate objects. But as I have studied English according to British standard and not the American one, it might be true what you are saying. Some of the forums (wordreference) also say it's wrong to use possessive case with inanimate objects. Although, we can use possessive case with inanimate things in case of Personification(According to grammar books). PS: a tree's color seems absolutely fine as tree is not considered inanimate. But i have never heard the expression "a car's weight" which is usually written as "weight of the car".
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 231

Kudos [?]: 375 [0], given: 5

Re: Pronoun Ambiguity: NOT an absolute rule. (by Ron Purewal) [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2014, 06:01
Expert's post
From an English grammar standpoint I can say there is not a hard and fast rule about not using a possessive with inanimate objects. There is certainly evidence that there is a preference toward avoiding possessives with inanimate objects but reputable grammar books allow for this usage and there are plenty of examples out there where possessives are used with inanimate objects.

I haven't seen this issue come up on the GMAT. If anyone has I would be interested to know about it.

KW

Posted from my mobile device Image

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Re: Pronoun Ambiguity: NOT an absolute rule. (by Ron Purewal)   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2014, 06:01