Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 02:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pronoun and antecedent

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Pronoun and antecedent [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 05:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Hi all,

While going through MGMAT SC material, I got some problem in my understanding of pronouns in below question:

We finally chose the coffee table towards the back of the store, which we thought would complement our living room furniture. - which incorrectly refers to store. It is not the store that would complement the living room furniture.

In above question( we finally chose the coffee table towards the back of the store)
: Subject - We
Verb - chose
Object-Coffee table
So which should modify Object that is coffee table.

Then why above sentence is wrong.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 44

Re: Pronoun and antecedent [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 08:40
We finally chose the coffee table towards the back of the store, which we thought would complement our living room furniture.

Hi will split above sentence
We - Subject
finally - adverb
chose- verb
the coffee table - object (noun)
towards the back of the store - prepositional phrase (modifing coffee table)

which - relative pronoun (refers back to coffee table)

for more info : Click here

we thought would complement our living room furniture - subordinate clause with proper SV

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Expert Post
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 248

Kudos [?]: 860 [0], given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Pronoun and antecedent [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 09:34
Expert's post
GC14 wrote:
Hi all,

While going through MGMAT SC material, I got some problem in my understanding of pronouns in below question:

We finally chose the coffee table towards the back of the store, which we thought would complement our living room furniture. - which incorrectly refers to store. It is not the store that would complement the living room furniture.

In above question( we finally chose the coffee table towards the back of the store)
Verb - chose
Object-Coffee table

Hi GC14,

Which does not modify the object, but the noun just before it. In the given sentence "which" modifies the preceding noun, the "store". The usage of which can be tricky at times.

The rule for which(or any other noun modifier) is as under:

The noun modifier should touch the modifying noun. Exception: A critical modifier can come in between the noun modifier and the noun if the the modifier can not be placed elsewhere in the sentence without changing the intended meaning.

For example the correct version of the above sentence would be:

We finally chose the coffee table, which we thought would complement our living room furniture, towards the back of the store. --> Here which correctly refers to the coffee table.

The usage of which would be correct in this sentence:

Doctors suggest drinking warm cold water and to applying Argan oil on the face, which acts as a blocking agent for the ultraviolet rays.[/color] --> The usage of which is correct because we can not place the prepositional phrase "on the face" elsewhere in the sentence without changing the intended meaning of the original sentence. Here which would modify the noun "Argan oil"

I hope it clears your doubt,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Intern
Intern
Schools: Rotman, Ivey
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 9

Reviews Badge
Re: Pronoun and antecedent [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 10:07
GC14 wrote:
Hi all,

Verb - chose
Object-Coffee table

I agree to what you are saying .. the only other way I could think of, to convey this idea would be:
Thinking it would complement our living room, we finally chose the coffee table towards the back of the store.
Intern
Intern

Reviews Badge
Re: Pronoun and antecedent [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 10:13
@Vercules:

Which one do you think conveys the idea more strongly:
We finally chose the coffee table, which we thought would complement our living room furniture, towards the back of the store.
or
Thinking it would complement our living room, we finally chose the coffee table towards the back of the store.

I don't know whether its a style issue or something else but I would not like to leave my prepositional phrase hanging out for the end. Just like which modifier, prepositional phrases also have equal priority to the touch rule. I may be wrong but I would prefer the one in blue.
Expert Post
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 248

Kudos [?]: 860 [0], given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Pronoun and antecedent [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 10:29
Expert's post
gmatprepab wrote:
@Vercules:

Which one do you think conveys the idea more strongly:
We finally chose the coffee table, which we thought would complement our living room furniture, towards the back of the store.
or

I don't know whether its a style issue or something else but I would not like to leave my prepositional phrase hanging out for the end. Just like which modifier, prepositional phrases also have equal priority to the touch rule. I may be wrong but I would prefer the one in blue.

Hi gmatprepab,

Both the sentences are correct but differ slightly in terms of meaning.

In the first one sentence the thinking is happening in the past, the thinking did not result in you choosing the table. "we" just thought in the past that the table would complement.The second one suggests that thinking resulted in you choosing the table. Either one is good, based on what you want to express.

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Intern
Intern

Reviews Badge
Re: Pronoun and antecedent [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 10:48
Vercules wrote:

In the first one sentence the thinking is happening in the past, the thinking did not result in you choosing the table. "we" just thought in the past that the table would complement.The second one suggests that thinking resulted in you choosing the table. Either one is good, based on what you want to express.

Vercules

I agree. That was a constructive debate. I remember this prepositional phrase shift in one of Ron's video's, where in he illustrates this point through somewhat similar sentence structure:
In Florida, Hurricanes are considered to be the act of God.
Hurricanes in Florida are considered to be the act of God.
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 67

Re: Pronoun and antecedent [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 11:45
Hi
which is relative pronoun and refers to the nearest noun. in the above case it is "store"....read the argument by substituting store in place of which.....you yourself will feel that meaning is not conveyed morever it is nonsensical..

Consider KUDOS If my post helps!!!!

Archit
Re: Pronoun and antecedent   [#permalink] 20 Feb 2013, 11:45