Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [56]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 166
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Pronouns - Usage of 'it/they' [#permalink]
Kudos
Dear expert,

Thank you for a great post. I have one concern the rule #3, in which you said the pronoun "it" refer to the same noun in its own meaning.

Today’s technology allows manufacturers to make small cars that are more fuel-efficient than they were at any time in production history.

In this example, although there is no other modifier attached to "small cars", we understand that here is "today's small cars". Hence, "they" incorrectly refers to "today's small cars".

But I see the same usage in the OG, which I think is totally fine. And these usages definitely follow rule #1 and rule #2. Experts, please shed light on this matter regarding the validity of rule #3.

Ex:
A1- the number of children injured while sledding was much higher last winter than it was 10 years ago
A2- The average age of automobiles registered in the country is lower now than it was 20 years ago
A3- Motorists in a certain country frequently complain that traffic congestion is much worse now than it was 20 years ago

But I then come up with another question.
- if we put A2 this way, is it correct: The average age of automobiles registered in the country now is lower than it was 20 years ago. This new structure has the same meaning but does not follow rule #2?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [0]
Send PM
Pronouns - Usage of 'it/they' [#permalink]
Top Contributor
don't apply SC rules to CR questions.

You can also look at the example given this way to make things more clear -
"small cars that are more fuel-efficient than they were ..."

"that are more fuel efficient than they were ..." is an essential modifier to small cars. (It is in this context that I meant same copy; sorry for the confusion)

So, 'they' does not seem to have a proper antecedent.

but otherwise, your examples seem fine as the pronoun refers to the general idea/thing.

here is an example from GMATPrep to illustrate the same -
"During the last interglacial period, the climate on the Earth was warmer than it is today, ..."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Send PM
Re: Pronouns - Usage of 'it/they' [#permalink]
Kudos
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
don't apply SC rules to CR questions.

You can also look at the example given this way to make things more clear -
"small cars that are more fuel-efficient than they were ..."

"that are more fuel efficient than they were ..." is an essential modifier to small cars. (It is in this context that I meant same copy; sorry for the confusion)

So, 'they' does not seem to have a proper antecedent.

but otherwise, your examples seem fine as the pronoun refers to the general idea/thing.

here is an example from GMATPrep to illustrate the same -
"During the last interglacial period, the climate on the Earth was warmer than it is today, ..."

Thank you for your reply

1. I don't know why you said that I was applying SC rules to CR. Is this topic of SC? I thought you were talking about SC and even your example is an SC one. There's nothing to do with CR here.

2. Thank you for the idea regarding the general idea/thing. I now realize that all of my example are about general idea/statistic number, which bears a consistent meaning in both side of the comparison. But in the case of "small cars", we intentionally mean two different things: the today's ones with better technology vs the old one.

3. To look at the sentence in a different way is also an interesting idea. You rock.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [0]
Given Kudos: 329
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 4: 490 Q39 V18
GPA: 4
Send PM
This is a great post!

Trying to bump it up.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
Hi CrackVerbalGMAT,

Thanks for the great article.

However, I have found an OG question that flouts one of your Rule. Rule #3 in particular.

Here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/scientists-s ... 21756.html
Question #3, in option E, "they" refers to two different nouns, but is correct nonetheless!?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts