Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 00:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Proper way to withdraw from a school after deposit sent?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Yale SOM 2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Proper way to withdraw from a school after deposit sent? [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2009, 08:15
What's the proper way to withdraw from a school after you've sent in your deposit? I had to send my deposit in before attending all the welcome weekends. (should I tell them I'm going to Yale instead?)
thanks,
SP

Last edited by smokedpotatoes2 on 30 Apr 2009, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 12

Re: Proper way to withdraw from a school after deposit sent? [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2009, 08:27
smokedpotatoes2 wrote:
What's the proper way to withdraw from a school after you've sent in your deposit?
thanks,
SP

E-mail your admission contact saying you regret to say you are withdrawing your application for admission due to unforeseen circumstances?

Maybe you can omit the last part. I don't think you need to give a reason. You are doing them a favor and everyone on the WL.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 1

Re: Proper way to withdraw from a school after deposit sent? [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2009, 08:31
smokedpotatoes2 wrote:
What's the proper way to withdraw from a school after you've sent in your deposit?
thanks,
SP

do u also want to ask for ur deposit back? :)

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

Manager
Manager

Re: Proper way to withdraw from a school after deposit sent? [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2009, 08:33
spiridon wrote:
smokedpotatoes2 wrote:
thanks,
SP

do u also want to ask for ur deposit back? :)

I would love to get it back, but from what I understand thats damn near impossible. How would one go about asking for the deposit back?
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

Re: Proper way to withdraw from a school after deposit sent? [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2009, 08:51
I don't think you can get the deposit back. Most schools are fairly clear in saying that those deposits are (sadly) unrefundable.

My plan is to just email the schools and let them know that I'm withdrawing. I'm not planning on giving a reason. More importantly, I plan on emailing the students (current and recent admits) I met at that school and letting them know my plans. Most of those folks are awesome, and I'd love to stay in touch with them down the road.
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Re: Proper way to withdraw from a school after deposit sent? [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2009, 08:53
I would think you'd need a reason better than 'I'm going to another school' to get it back - maybe financial hardship, but even that I doubt. No harm in asking though and indeed you will make someone on the WL's life a lot easier by doing so now.

Only do so, however, if you are 100% about Yale, you'd never want to be in a situation where you withdraw then get second thoughts the week after or something. You've earned the right to wait til you're 100% by applying/getting in/paying the deposit etc.
Manager
Manager

Re: Proper way to withdraw from a school after deposit sent? [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2009, 08:54
isa wrote:
I don't think you can get the deposit back. Most schools are fairly clear in saying that those deposits are (sadly) unrefundable.

My plan is to just email the schools and let them know that I'm withdrawing. I'm not planning on giving a reason. More importantly, I plan on emailing the students (current and recent admits) I met at that school and letting them know my plans. Most of those folks are awesome, and I'd love to stay in touch with them down the road.

Isa,
Funny you should write that. I've been the letting the Duke students I met know (They're awsome, and I regret not getting to knwo them better).
Current Student
Schools: LBS
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 6

Re: Proper way to withdraw from a school after deposit sent? [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2009, 09:24
would I get my deposit back if my US visa got denied or the visa process took longer than expected and the date for joining past?
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: Proper way to withdraw from a school after deposit sent? [#permalink] New post 01 May 2009, 04:18
MJ2009 wrote:
would I get my deposit back if my US visa got denied or the visa process took longer than expected and the date for joining past?

I think if your visa got denied, the school would be willing to be more flexible - whether that means sending the deposit back or discussion options such as deferring enrollment. I think it's less likely if the process just took longer than you thought it would.

At the end of the day, the schools are all explicitly clear that you're making a non-refundable deposit, so they're holding all the cards and it's completely up to their discretion whether or not to give you some or all of it back.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: HBS Class of 2011
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 3

Re: Proper way to withdraw from a school after deposit sent? [#permalink] New post 01 May 2009, 12:22
smokedpotatoes2 wrote:
What's the proper way to withdraw from a school after you've sent in your deposit? I had to send my deposit in before attending all the welcome weekends. (should I tell them I'm going to Yale instead?)
thanks,
SP

I called the school and told them I needed to withdraw. Since the school invested a lot of time in getting to know me, I felt that withdrawing via e-mail was a little too impersonal. I didn't tell them that I'll be attending another school.. I just said that my situation has changed and I can no longer attend.

Also, I would wait until you are 100% certain that you'll be attending Yale (and have sent in your deposit) before withdrawing. You never know.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Proper way to withdraw from a school after deposit sent? [#permalink] New post 02 May 2009, 17:21
Singing telegram
Re: Proper way to withdraw from a school after deposit sent?   [#permalink] 02 May 2009, 17:21