Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4418 [21]
Given Kudos: 325
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: Booth '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.66
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Re: Properly measuring the efficiency of manufacturing equipment [#permalink]
Its D... i got it wrong...

The language of the question is really tempting..!!!

We need to find out the answer that states "quality is not relevant to efficiency.."...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
I am not convinced with the OA. The argument is saying productivity is not the only measure of efficiency. If D had said as below it would make sense.
D)The only factor relevant to measuring the efficiency of manufacturing equipment is the productivity of such equipment.

But the current wording which says "The only factor relevant to measuring the productivity of manufacturing equipment is the productivity of such equipment. --- This doesnt make sense.

Can anyone help please?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 831 [0]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Its a straight D. The clue lies in the question stem "challenge the truthfulness ".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 274 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
Send PM
mohnish104 wrote:
Its a straight D. The clue lies in the question stem "challenge the truthfulness ".

Can you explain in detail how did you get D? I eliminated D because of

measuring the productivity of manufacturing equipment is the productivity of such equipment.
To me this statement does not make sense because we are comparing efficiency...

I chose C because the answer states

The quantity of foam concrete produced is relevant to measuring efficiency of foam concrete producing equipment.

The passage also questions the fact that quantity does not equal efficiency.

But OA is D. I am not sure where is my reasoning wrong? Please help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 831 [2]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
akashb106 Lets say there is an inspector who inspects such machines. He concludes that although the machine has a high productivity, unless and until the quality of the foam manufactured can't be determined, the efficiency can't be determined.

In reply the manufacturer says [D]: The only factor relevant to measuring the productivity of manufacturing equipment is the productivity of such equipment.

Hence the inspector in his argument is attempting to validate or in this case the challenge the very truthfulness of the manufacturer's reply.

Hope it helps.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Answer should be D.
Please someone correct answer choice D which repeats productivity twice since Guerrero apparently made an ugly mistake there
Cheers
J
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 421 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Dheeraj: Madaraboina
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
hi jlgdr,

Could you please elaborate on why the correct answer is D and Not C.

Thanks in advance :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1551 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE:Account Management (Education)
Send PM
guerrero25 wrote:
Properly measuring the efficiency of manufacturing equipment is a complex procedure. Suppose an advertisement announces the sale of new super-efficient foam concrete manufacturing equipment that can produce more foam concrete per minute than any other equipment available. Does higher productivity imply higher efficiency? What if the quality of all the foam concrete produced by this equipment is inferior?

The objection raised above against the efficiency measure described in the advertisement challenges the truthfulness of which of the following statements?
(A)Ways to measure the efficiency of foam concrete manufacturing equipment are representative of the ways to measure efficiency of any other manufacturing equipment.

(B)Producing foam concrete is the primary purpose of foam concrete manufacturing equipment.

(C)The quantity of foam concrete produced is relevant to measuring efficiency of foam concrete producing equipment.

(D)The only factor relevant to measuring the productivity of manufacturing equipment is the productivity of such equipment.

(E)The quality of the product manufactured should be considered when measuring the efficiency of manufacturing equipment.

OA to follow

It CANNOT be D unless there is a typo there.
D as it stands is NONSENSICAL. How can u say the only way o doing X is doing X? may be if the the first of the two productivity is efficiency it would be right.
There is no answer yet in that question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Schools: ISB '17
GMAT 1: 530 Q35 V28
GPA: 2.5
Send PM
The objection in the argument says ..
Does higher productivity imply higher efficiency? What if the quality of all the foam concrete produced by this equipment is inferior?
Now this statement challenges the truthfulness of which of the statments.
D: The only factor relevant to measuring the productivity of manufacturing equipment is the productivity of such equipment.
HOW?????
what does D say ???
the ONLY factor to measure productivity is Productivity itself AKA QUANTITY ... not quality not anything....
Now the argument if we look at it is challenging this statement with everything its got.
Now I choose C;
WHY ???? because it says The quantity of foam concrete produced is relevant to measuring efficiency of foam concrete producing equipment so I am thinking OH! there you go I have QUANTITY RELEVANT EFFICIENCY all that i need ..
but Quantity is relevant.... yes it is .... HOW RELEVANT???? .... Oppps I am not told that ... This aint really strong ... so it is wrong...
Hmm... Coming to terms with this type of question...
pointed noted ... good question ... NEXT....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1551 [1]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE:Account Management (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
nikhiljd wrote:
The objection in the argument says ..
Does higher productivity imply higher efficiency? What if the quality of all the foam concrete produced by this equipment is inferior?
Now this statement challenges the truthfulness of which of the statments.
D: The only factor relevant to measuring the productivity of manufacturing equipment is the productivity of such equipment.
HOW?????
what does D say ???
the ONLY factor to measure productivity is Productivity itself AKA QUANTITY ... not quality not anything....
Now the argument if we look at it is challenging this statement with everything its got.
Now I choose C;
WHY ???? because it says The quantity of foam concrete produced is relevant to measuring efficiency of foam concrete producing equipment so I am thinking OH! there you go I have QUANTITY RELEVANT EFFICIENCY all that i need ..
but Quantity is relevant.... yes it is .... HOW RELEVANT???? .... Oppps I am not told that ... This aint really strong ... so it is wrong...
Hmm... Coming to terms with this type of question...
pointed noted ... good question ... NEXT....

Only C stands a chance.

D is nonsense.
It beats to pulp how people just try to agree with OA even when there is a clear error.

if the OA had said B I bet you many would fall over themselves explaining why it's B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GRE 1: Q168 V162
Send PM
Why can't it be B ? Seems to me that the option states quite explicitly that producing foam concrete is the main purpose of foam concrete manufacturing equipment, thereby completely disregarding quality of production.
Moreover,the objection raising author himself/herself has conformed to the colloquial definition of productivity (the question "Does higher productivity imply higher efficiency?") i.e. higher no. of products manufactured per unit time. So I'm not sure if D is the best answer. I'd say the author would agree with the truthfulness of statement D which basically just reinforces the concept of productivity.
Thoughts?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
shresthpaul wrote:
Why can't it be B ? Seems to me that the option states quite explicitly that producing foam concrete is the main purpose of foam concrete manufacturing equipment, thereby completely disregarding quality of production.
Moreover,the objection raising author himself/herself has conformed to the colloquial definition of productivity (the question "Does higher productivity imply higher efficiency?") i.e. higher no. of products manufactured per unit time. So I'm not sure if D is the best answer. I'd say the author would agree with the truthfulness of statement D which basically just reinforces the concept of productivity.
Thoughts?

It seems that there is a typographical error. Option D should be:
"The only factor relevant to measuring the efficiency of manufacturing equipment is the productivity of such equipment."

Assuming the above correction :-

The objection raised: "Does higher productivity imply higher efficiency? What if the quality of all the foam concrete produced by this equipment is inferior?"

The objection is almost a rephrasing of the counter statement of option D - "The only factor relevant to measuring the productivity of manufacturing equipment is NOT the productivity of such equipment. " Thus D is correct answer.

However there is no objection raised against whether primary purpose is producing foam or not - in fact there is no mention of this aspect in the passage. Hence something that has not been referred at all cannot be objected to. Thus B is wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GRE 1: Q168 V162
Send PM
Thanks for the response sayantanc2k! The addition of 'only' will definitely change things a lot. But tell me, don't you think option D could've been better stated as "The only factor relevant to measuring the EFFICIENCY of manufacturing equipment is NOT the productivity of such equipment."? Don't you think the objection raised i.e. "Does higher productivity imply higher efficiency? What if the quality of all the foam concrete produced by this equipment is inferior?" hints more at how the definition of efficiency stands incomplete if it were to only rest on productivity?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
guerrero25 wrote:
Properly measuring the efficiency of manufacturing equipment is a complex procedure. Suppose an advertisement announces the sale of new super-efficient foam concrete manufacturing equipment that can produce more foam concrete per minute than any other equipment available. Does higher productivity imply higher efficiency? What if the quality of all the foam concrete produced by this equipment is inferior?

The objection raised above against the efficiency measure described in the advertisement challenges the truthfulness of which of the following statements?
(A)Ways to measure the efficiency of foam concrete manufacturing equipment are representative of the ways to measure efficiency of any other manufacturing equipment.

(B)Producing foam concrete is the primary purpose of foam concrete manufacturing equipment.

(C)The quantity of foam concrete produced is relevant to measuring efficiency of foam concrete producing equipment.

(D)The only factor relevant to measuring the productivity of manufacturing equipment is the productivity of such equipment.

(E)The quality of the product manufactured should be considered when measuring the efficiency of manufacturing equipment.

OA to follow

Can you please put up a snapshot of the question from the source? Option (D), as written, certainly has an error.
CR Moderator
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
shresthpaul wrote:
Thanks for the response sayantanc2k! The addition of 'only' will definitely change things a lot. But tell me, don't you think option D could've been better stated as "The only factor relevant to measuring the EFFICIENCY of manufacturing equipment is NOT the productivity of such equipment."? Don't you think the objection raised i.e. "Does higher productivity imply higher efficiency? What if the quality of all the foam concrete produced by this equipment is inferior?" hints more at how the definition of efficiency stands incomplete if it were to only rest on productivity?

I would again use the negation technique:

If the advertisement challenges the truthfulness of a statement, it would support the negative of the statement.

The statement you have written is (say S1): "The only factor relevant to measuring the EFFICIENCY of manufacturing equipment is NOT the productivity of such equipment."

Negative of the above (say S2: "The only factor relevant to measuring the EFFICIENCY of manufacturing equipment is NOT the productivity of such equipment."

If the advertisement challenges S1, it would support S2. But does the advertisement support S2? No, rather the advertisement opposes S2.
Thus to say in other way, the advertisement supports statement S1 (your statement) - it does not challenge S1.

Do you see my reasoning?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
clearly it's between C and D.
I too think that there is a typo in D, otherwise it doesn't make sense...
we need to look for efficiency not productivity...
CR Moderator
Schools:
Send PM
Properly measuring the efficiency of manufacturing equipment [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mfh08 wrote:
There is a typo in the answer options that leads you to not be able to correctly answer the question. D would be the right answer if the wording was updated instead of saying productivity twice it should read efficiency and productivity. there is no source listed to update this but without an updated answer this should be removed.

The typographical error has been rectified. Thank you.
GMAT Club Bot
Properly measuring the efficiency of manufacturing equipment [#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts