Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 00:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: MENSA India
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q42 V35
GMAT 3: 640 Q44 V32
GMAT 4: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 5: 680 Q46 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 13

Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 23:36
(D) Proponents consider relaxations that Censorship Board allow production houses each year to provide the producers enough space to make creative pieces of work vital for the economic growth of the entertainment industry

My reasons for choice are exactly identical to those given by Vercules, just that I saw his post AFTER I started writing this explanation. Sorry for the repetition.

Split 1:
Proponents consider v/s Proponents are
Proponents consider is correct since the verb and the subject are near. In case of Proponents are, the meaning is distorted. Zero down on choice "B" and "D"

Spit 2:
to provide the producers
Elimination of ambiguity due to use of "them" (and in turn, eliminating choice "B")

D it is :)

Always aim at the moon. Never mind if you miss, you will fall in the stars :-)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 06:34
Vercules wrote:
pqhai wrote:
carcass wrote:
BTW Board is plural so C go out immediately

Carcass.

Please excuse my jumping in.

I think The censorship board is singular, not plural. e.g. the censorship board of Australia.
The plural version of "the board" is "the Boards".

For instance:
(1) The board of directors is meeting this afternoon ==> means directors server for only 1 board in a company.
(2) Boards of directors generally set broad corporate policy. ==> means directors serve on a number of different boards of directors.

Please correct if I'm wrong.

Hi pqhai,

You are correct, "board" is singular. Carcass, Answer choice (C) is incorrect because of the ambiguous pronoun "them" and the subject-verb agreement error in which the singular verb "allows" does not agree with the plural "relaxations". Moreover, "proponents of relaxations" is not parallel with "critics denounce"

Vercules

here is my doubt---
I think the noun is Board so allows should be used rather than allow---Pls let me know why I am wrong..
Proponents consider relaxations that Censorship Board allow/allows(??)
My reasoning--
Board is the subject which is allowing something for eg--
I sing songs that my friend allows(not allow) me to sing.----here my friend is the subject(not the songs)......Please let me know if I am wrong.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 02:30
AJ8348 wrote:

here is my doubt---
I think the noun is Board so allows should be used rather than allow---Pls let me know why I am wrong..
Proponents consider relaxations that Censorship Board allow/allows(??)
My reasoning--
Board is the subject which is allowing something for eg--
I sing songs that my friend allows(not allow) me to sing.----here my friend is the subject(not the songs)......Please let me know if I am wrong.

Board is singular but C is the only option having the singular verb form. The word 'them' in C is ambiguous. It leaves us with option D.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 02:09
A) Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow production houses each year to provide them enough space to make creative pieces of work consider them vital for the economic growth of the entertainment industry - Wrong ("them" is ambiguous - at first instance "them" refers to "production houses", but at second instance "them" refers to "relaxations")

B) Proponents consider relaxations that Censorship Board allow production houses each year to provide them enough space to make creative piece of works to be vital for the economic growth of the entertainment industry - Wrong ("consider to be" is unidiomatic - idiom is "consider X")

C) Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allows production houses each year to provide them enough space to make creative pieces of work consider them vital for the economic growth of the entertainment industry - Wrong (same problem with "them" as in option A)

D) Proponents consider relaxations that Censorship Board allow production houses each year to provide the producers enough space to make creative pieces of work vital for the economic growth of the entertainment industry - Correct (no pronoun ambiguity with "them" and "consider" is also used idiomatically)

E) Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow production houses each year to provide them enough space to make creative pieces of work consider the relaxations to be vital for the economic growth of the entertainment industry - Wrong ("consider to be" is unidiomatic - idiom is "consider X")
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.95
WE: Supply Chain Management (Other)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 8

Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 04:20
D it is.

D) Proponents consider relaxations that Censorship Board allow production houses each year to provide the producers enough space to make creative pieces of work vital for the economic growth of the entertainment industry

Cheers!

+1 Kudos if you like my post! :-D

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Stanford '15
GPA: 3.61
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 97

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 18:16
This post received
KUDOS
Vercules wrote:
Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow production houses to each year to provide them enough space to make creative piece of works consider them vital for the economic growth of the entertainment industry while critics denounce the relaxations as a leeway that increases the revenue of the production houses but damages the moral character of the children.

A) Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow production houses each year to provide them enough space to make creative pieces of work consider them vital for the economic growth of the entertainment industry
B) Proponents consider relaxations that Censorship Board allow production houses each year to provide them enough space to make creative piece of works to be vital for the economic growth of the entertainment industry.
C) Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allows production houses each year to provide them enough space to make creative pieces of work consider them vital for the economic growth of the entertainment industry
D) Proponents consider relaxations that Censorship Board allow production houses each year to provide the producers enough space to make creative pieces of work vital for the economic growth of the entertainment industry
E) Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow production houses each year to provide them enough space to make creative pieces of work consider the relaxations to be vital for the economic growth of the entertainment industry

OA after discussions, good explanations will receive kudos!!

See attachment:
Attachments

ScreenHunter_48 Jun. 19 07.45.jpg
ScreenHunter_48 Jun. 19 07.45.jpg [ 68.5 KiB | Viewed 1150 times ]

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 15

Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2013, 20:09
Vercules wrote:
pqhai wrote:
carcass wrote:

Carcass.

Please excuse my jumping in.

I think The censorship board is singular, not plural. e.g. the censorship board of Australia.
The plural version of "the board" is "the Boards".

For instance:
(1) The board of directors is meeting this afternoon ==> means directors server for only 1 board in a company.
(2) Boards of directors generally set broad corporate policy. ==> means directors serve on a number of different boards of directors.

Please correct if I'm wrong.

Hi pqhai,

You are correct, "board" is singular. Carcass, Answer choice (C) is incorrect because of the ambiguous pronoun "them" and the subject-verb agreement error in which the singular verb "allows" does not agree with the plural "relaxations". Moreover, "proponents of relaxations" is not parallel with "critics denounce"

Vercules

I don't understand how (Proponents of relaxations) is the subject of allows. Isnt board the subject for allows?(because it is the board which can/cannot allow)

Kudos always encourages me

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 57

Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2013, 21:53
Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow production houses to each year to provide them enough space to make creative piece of works consider them vital for the economic growth of the entertainment industry while critics denounce the relaxations as a leeway that increases the revenue of the production houses but damages the moral character of the children.

A) Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow production houses each year to provide them enough space to make creative pieces of work consider them vital for the economic growth of the entertainment industry
B) Proponents consider relaxations that Censorship Board allow production houses each year to provide them enough space to make creative piece of works to be vital for the economic growth of the entertainment industry.
C) Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allows production houses each year to provide them enough space to make creative pieces of work consider them vital for the economic growth of the entertainment industry
E) Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow production houses each year to provide them enough space to make creative pieces of work consider the relaxations to be vital for the economic growth of the entertainment industry

Here each choice has a prepositional phrase followed by that. The "that" conjunction should ideally begin the second clause (dependent). So, the part before "that" has to have a main verb. This eliminates all the choices except B and D.

In B - "them" can refer to either the producers or the proponents. D is clearer in that sense. In D the allowance is explicitly meant for the "producers"

Hence D.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2013, 10:19
I based my answer solely on the fact that "them" in the second half of the sentence is ambiguous. D correctly identifies the issue and replaces "them" with an appropriate noun "the producers"
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 14

Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2013, 04:42
swati007 wrote:
Vercules wrote:

Hi pqhai,

Vercules

I don't understand how (Proponents of relaxations) is the subject of allows. Isnt board the subject for allows?(because it is the board which can/cannot allow)

I believe board is the subject of the relative pronoun clause 'that Censorship Board allow' therefore according to SV agreement rule the verb should be singular 'allows'. The OA D has this SV error so it cannot be the correct answer. Only C corrects this error. However, it has the pronoun ambiguity error as pointed out by other posters.

Therefore, IMO none of the choices are correct which should not be the case. Confused here. :|
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 530 Q37 V25
GPA: 3.32
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 20

CAT Tests
Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2014, 10:48
Shouldn't it Censorship board "allows"? if that's the case, then D would also be incorrect.

I'm telling this because you don't get it. You think you get it which is not the same as actually getting it. Get it?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2014, 03:20
Parallelism did it for me: Proponents consider vs. critics denounce
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 87

CAT Tests
Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2014, 05:08
Somebody help me with the below.

Quote:

I thought the phrase 'vital for the economic growth of the entertainment industry' is modifying the noun 'work'.

Therefore, I thought D to be wrong as the main-clause will be incomplete.

Please tell me where am I wrong?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 10

Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2014, 09:52
Why do you think it should be allows and not allow. Isn't it referring to "relaxations" which is plural.

jonnyhh wrote:
HumptyDumpty wrote:
Vercules wrote:

Let's build on the non-underline part:
"critics denounce the relaxations"
The correct AC should be parallel. It is correct to move the verb before the essential modifier, which is long as ours "that Censorship Board allow production houses to each year to provide them enough space to make creative piece of works"

Quote:

Not parallel
Quote:

Parallel, but: "consider sb to be" is not my dream. "Proponents of what?" is a good remark, but if we have one issue discussed and both proponens and opponents, their aim is rather clear. I hope so at least.
Quote:

Not parallel.
Quote:

Parallel. "consider sh + adj" is correct. My choice.
Quote:
E) Proponents of relaxations that local governments allow production houses each year to provide them enough space to make creative pieces of work consider the relaxations to be vital for the economic growth of the entertainment industry

Not parallel. "consider sh to be" again.

In D, does vital refer to the creative pieces of work or to the relaxations?
Also, if the reason you stated in B is correct (and now I think so too), then B should be the correct answer.

BTW, I just noticed that only the option C correctly uses "allows" instead of "allow". :o
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 10

Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2014, 09:57
I think the answer should be "E". The word "consider" doesnt seem to be correct. You are proponent "of" something.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2014, 17:40
The descriptions about "allows vs. allow" do not make any sense to me. I think "the Censorship Board" is the subject in the relative clause "that the CB allows production houses ... work" and, therefore, the verb has to agree it in number; since the GMAT considers collective nouns singular (according to MGMAT), the verb has to be singular as well.

I think some people here believe that "relaxations" is the subject of the sentence in D:

"The proponents consider relaxations that the CB allow(s) production houses ... work vital ..."

Please explain why! I do not understand this at all. To me, it is very clear that "the CB allows production houses relaxations each year to provide the producers ...", as in "the doctor allows his patients visitors" or "the instructor allowed students one hour to finish the test". The CB is the doer of the action here, so why should the verb allow(s) agree with relaxations?!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-03-2013
GPA: 3.22

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

CAT Tests
Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2014, 03:53
In option "D", the singular subject "censorship board" goes with the plural "allow", how can this be the correct answer choice, pls explain!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 09-04-2014
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 14

Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2014, 22:37
carcass wrote:
Based on ligic and meaning Proponents consider something NOT proponent of relaxations consider

b and D

In B them is ackward and seems refers to houses that is right from grammatical standing point BUT not from the meaning

The sentence becomes too long and without "control"; instead if we put a subject we have sense of the whole situation

D makes sense

AS FAR I THINK BOARD IS SINGULAR NOT PLURAL SO IT TAKES PLURAL VERB.... :x :P :P :P :P :P
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT Date: 10-28-2014
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2014, 09:17
Vercules wrote:

OA after discussions, good explanations will receive kudos!!

Evenif I agree that options D is by far the best answer choice in terms of avoiding pronoun ambiguity (them), I see that the sentence contains sub-verb agreement (Censorship Board allow ) . Is this not an error. Please clarify. Censorship Board is singular, is it not ?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 100

GMAT ToolKit User
Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2014, 07:54
Abhisekrocks wrote:
In option "D", the singular subject "censorship board" goes with the plural "allow", how can this be the correct answer choice, pls explain!

I chose D because of other reasons but finally, I am still confused why in D plural verb "allow" goes with plural noun "relaxations" but not singular noun "censorship board" since the relative clause is "that Censorship Board allow.....".

Experts, please help to explain this issue!!!

Start to fall in love with GMAT <3

Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2014, 07:54