Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Dec 2014, 12:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 105

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2014, 07:26
Up up up because I am still confused why in D plural verb "allow" goes with plural noun "relaxations" but not singular noun "censorship board" since the relative clause is "that Censorship Board allow.....".

Experts, please help!!!

Start to fall in love with GMAT <3

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 67

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2014, 22:07
Quote:

Humpty,
I like your approach ;however, when i read the modifying clause it is so freaking convoluted that i just have to eliminate on the basic of them. I also notice that in answer choices that replace pronoun with the actual noun are often the correct answer choice. Hence in my mind D wins because of that.
-Blue

I used a similar approach. Them is ambiguous, so that takes out 3 options. D is the concise and has a clearer meaning
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 5

Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2014, 20:49
This post received
KUDOS
Vercules wrote:
pqhai wrote:
carcass wrote:
BTW Board is plural so C go out immediately

Carcass.

Please excuse my jumping in.

I think The censorship board is singular, not plural. e.g. the censorship board of Australia.
The plural version of "the board" is "the Boards".

For instance:
(1) The board of directors is meeting this afternoon ==> means directors server for only 1 board in a company.
(2) Boards of directors generally set broad corporate policy. ==> means directors serve on a number of different boards of directors.

Please correct if I'm wrong.

Hi pqhai,

You are correct, "board" is singular. Carcass, Answer choice (C) is incorrect because of the ambiguous pronoun "them" and the subject-verb agreement error in which the singular verb "allows" does not agree with the plural "relaxations". Moreover, "proponents of relaxations" is not parallel with "critics denounce"

Vercules

Board plural? "Allow" related to "relaxations" and not to the board? WRONG!
Board is singular, but we shouldn't use "allows" because this sentences is in subjunctive mood. The verb "propose", when used as a transitive verb (that is, it needs an object) uses the subjunctive mood, which requires the verb to be in bare form.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 105

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2014, 22:17
mespinosa3@live.com wrote:

Board is singular, but we shouldn't use "allows" because this sentences is in subjunctive mood. The verb "propose", when used as a transitive verb (that is, it needs an object) uses the subjunctive mood, which requires the verb to be in bare form.

ohhh, it's true! I've got it!!! ;) Subjunctive!! why didn't I remember "propose" is subjunctive :))

Thank you, mespinosa3@live.com!! credit to you!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 47 [1] , given: 43

Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2014, 04:41
This post received
KUDOS
LucyDang wrote:
mespinosa3@live.com wrote:

ohhh, it's true! I've got it!!! ;) Subjunctive!! why didn't I remember "propose" is subjunctive :))

Hi Lucy,

I'm not sure where is the word "propose" in the sentence.
I don't think it's about subjunctive here; here is my reasoning -

The money that he gave me yesterdayis all spent.
The vouchers that he/they gifted me yesterdayare all used. -> Here 'are' is referring to 'vouchers' not 'he/they'

Thus, in original sentence, 'that' is acting as an essential modifier.
Hope it helps !

Best
MKS
Appreciate it with Kudos !! :)

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 105

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2014, 01:34
This post received
KUDOS
MKS wrote:
LucyDang wrote:

Hi Lucy,

I'm not sure where is the word "propose" in the sentence.
I don't think it's about subjunctive here; here is my reasoning -

The money that he gave me yesterdayis all spent.
The vouchers that he/they gifted me yesterdayare all used. -> Here 'are' is referring to 'vouchers' not 'he/they'

Thus, in original sentence, 'that' is acting as an essential modifier.
Hope it helps !

Hi MKS,
Sorry, my bad. Indeed, you're right and you corrected me ;) I have just re-read the correct sentence and find that the structure of this sentence is "A consider X Y". Then, back to my original question: Why is the verb "allow" not in the form "allows"? As far as I know, "board" is collective noun --> "allows" should be used.

Proponents consider relaxations that Censorship Board allow production houses each year to provide the producers enough space to make creative pieces of work vital for the economic growth of the entertainment industry while critics denounce the relaxations as a leeway that increases the revenue of the production houses but damages the moral character of the children.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [1] , given: 43

Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2014, 03:09
This post received
KUDOS
LucyDang wrote:

Why is the verb "allow" not in the form "allows"? As far as I know, "board" is collective noun --> "allows" should be used.

Hi Lucy,
That is a very nice question !
I used to think same way; however, Collective nouns DON'T follow singularity all the times.

http://www.chompchomp.com/terms/collectivenoun.htm

https://www.englishclub.com/grammar/sub ... -nouns.htm

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/educat ... tive-nouns

Hope it helps !

Best
MKS

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 499 [0], given: 215

Premium Member CAT Tests
Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2014, 13:20
Clearly, subject is "Censorship board",which is singular, and we need singular verb with it.

This is one of the side effects of practicing unofficial problems. I would suggest all to focus on GMATPrep problems only or on problems that are discussed on Manhattan forum (at least there we can refer reliable expert feedback); Around 300++ sentence correction problems are published through GMATPrep software and it is a best resource for practicing SC.
All GMATPrep problems consolidated at one place link :
http://gmat.kaomanfen.com/subject/lib?& ... 1&p=13&p=1

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 43

Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2014, 01:17
PiyushK wrote:
Clearly, subject is "Censorship board",which is singular, and we need singular verb with it.

Hi Piyush,

Does that mean Collective nouns can be plural sometimes, as shown in those links , But Not on the GMAT ?

Thanks in advance.

Best
MKS

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 499 [0], given: 215

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2014, 12:46
MKS wrote:
PiyushK wrote:

Hi Piyush,

Does that mean Collective nouns can be plural sometimes, as shown in those links , But Not on the GMAT ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi MKS,

Refer MGMAT SC guide chapter 3, collective nouns: almost always singular, at page 44.

In GMAT collective nouns are almost always singular. We can take a collective noun plural if we want to refer individual members in that collection; In official question you will get proper hints in non-underlined portion such as plural pronoun to help identify nature of noun.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2014, 02:54
Vercules wrote:
pqhai wrote:
carcass wrote:
BTW Board is plural so C go out immediately

Carcass.

Please excuse my jumping in.

I think The censorship board is singular, not plural. e.g. the censorship board of Australia.
The plural version of "the board" is "the Boards".

For instance:
(1) The board of directors is meeting this afternoon ==> means directors server for only 1 board in a company.
(2) Boards of directors generally set broad corporate policy. ==> means directors serve on a number of different boards of directors.

Please correct if I'm wrong.

Hi pqhai,

You are correct, "board" is singular. Carcass, Answer choice (C) is incorrect because of the ambiguous pronoun "them" and the subject-verb agreement error in which the singular verb "allows" does not agree with the plural "relaxations". Moreover, "proponents of relaxations" is not parallel with "critics denounce"

Vercules

Hi, I am confused about the subject- verb agreement in this question. As per above response, the verb "allow" has to be agreed to "relaxations", however, even after reading the question multiple times, I understand that it is the "board" which is allowing relaxations to the production houses, and so "allow" should agree to "board" and not to relaxations. E.g.if I tweak the sentence a little to: The Censorship Board allows relaxations to the production houses, here it sounds fine, ain't it?

Initially, I thought there is a manufacturing defect in the question, but now I am confused about my own understanding. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2014, 07:18
Vercules wrote:
good discussion guys, updated the post with OA nd OE

Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow production houses to each year to provide them enough space to make creative piece of works consider them vital for the economic growth of the entertainment industry while critics denounce the relaxations as a leeway that increases the revenue of the production houses but damages the moral character of the children.

Do not go by the wordiness of this question. If you are able to identify the grammatical construction the question becomes pretty straightforward.

(A) Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow production houses each year to provide them enough space to make creative pieces of work consider them vital for the economic growth of the entertainment industry

The pronoun "them" in the phrase "provide them enough …" clearly refers to "production houses," the immediately preceding plural noun. However, the pronoun "them" is used again in the phrase "consider them vital ….,"; in this usage its antecedent is unclear. “them” should logically refer to the "relaxations" but based on its position in the sentence it could also refer to “production houses”.

(B) Proponents consider relaxations that Censorship Board allow production houses each year to provide them enough space to make creative piece of works to be vital for the economic growth of the entertainment industry.

In placing "consider" at the beginning of the sentence, this choice is able to avoid a second use of the pronoun "them," correcting the pronoun issue. However, the use of "to be" in this context is unidiomatic. The proper idiom is "consider x y" not "consider x to be y." In this case "consider tax breaks . . . vital tools" is unidiomatic and thus incorrect.

(C) Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allows production houses each year to provide them enough space to make creative pieces of work consider them vital for the economic growth of the entertainment industry

This choice does not solve the pronoun problem from the original sentence. Moreover it creates another error by using the singular verb “allows” for the plural noun “relaxations”.

(D) Proponents consider relaxations that Censorship Board allow production houses each year to provide the producers enough space to make creative pieces of work vital for the economic growth of the entertainment industry

CORRECT. In placing "consider" at the beginning of the sentence, this choice is able to avoid a second use of the pronoun "them," correcting the pronoun issue. It does not contain any other awkward or wordy construction.

(E) Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow production houses each year to provide them enough space to make creative pieces of work consider the relaxations to be vital for the economic growth of the entertainment industry

This choice avoids any pronoun ambiguity by replacing the second "them" in the original sentence with the use of "relaxations" after “consider.” However, the repetition of "relaxations" makes this choice somewhat wordy. A more apparent error is the use of "to be", which makes the construction “consider X to be Y” incorrect. Proper idiom is “consider X Y.”

Hello,

I am really not able to understand what is wrong with the verb "allows" in C?
The subject is Board and not relaxations and hence the verb should be in agreement with Board.
If we consider Relaxations the subject, then the sentence doesn't make sense.
IMO, the phrase "that Censorship Board allows production houses..." modifies Relaxations. So, there is no way Relaxations could be the subject.
Please explain.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 2.3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 80

CAT Tests
Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2014, 22:43
I find this question faulty, Board is always singular and it must take a singular verb. That's a primary rule of GMAT English. All 4 answer choices should be ruled out.

What's the source of the question ?

Give KUDOS if the post helps you... :-D

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2014, 07:58
Hi All,

I will start my first post here today,

So 1) To consider smith ( to be) adj - " to" is OPTIONAL
2) provide "them" .. Consider "them" - confusing so INCORRECT so A, C gone
3) E) proponent of "relaxations" .. consider "relaxations" UNNECESSARILY WORDY, AWKWAD
4) Only difference between B and D is " them" and "the producers". " the producers" is preferred here as it makes the sentence more clear and less confusing

Hence, D is the best choice
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.86
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2014, 06:09
Ans D
1) All the ans choices except D has pronoun ambiguity for "them"
2) Many creative pieces of work is the right word not "many creative piece of works"
Re: Proponents of relaxations that Censorship Board allow   [#permalink] 14 Oct 2014, 06:09