Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 13:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Proposal: Carbon dioxide and methane in the atmosphere block

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 1226
Location: Taiwan
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

Proposal: Carbon dioxide and methane in the atmosphere block [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2004, 05:39
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:38) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Proposal: Carbon dioxide and methane in the atmosphere block the escape of heat into space. So emission of these “greenhouseâ€
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2004
Posts: 697
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2004, 05:46
Pick D.

We need to counter the objection "methane generates carbon dioxide that is released into the atmosphere".
D says that CO2 is a lesser evil than methane.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jan 2004
Posts: 728
Location: Milwaukee
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2004, 08:17
Agree with D, good explanations gayathri
_________________

Praveen

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 1226
Location: Taiwan
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2005, 23:29
gayathri wrote:
Pick D.

We need to counter the objection "methane generates carbon dioxide that is released into the atmosphere".
D says that CO2 is a lesser evil than methane.


Hello, I think choice C is also right.

Could you tell me why not C?

thank you
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2004
Posts: 697
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2005, 06:03
chunjuwu, C is not a good choice because it does not counter the objection, infact it is in favor of the objection.

The q stem says that "greenhouse" gases are bad because they cause global warming. Methane and CO2 are green house gases.

The objection raised is that by using methane as a fuel, more CO2 ( a greenhouse gas) is released in the atmosphere and hence will lead to global warming. => Do not use methane as a fuel.

C: states that they will replace a fuel which does not release an greenhouse gases such as methane or CO2 with methane which releases CO2. In this case the objection is justified because use of methane will lead to global warming. It does not counter the objection raised.

HTH
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 1226
Location: Taiwan
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2005, 08:02
gayathri wrote:
chunjuwu, C is not a good choice because it does not counter the objection, infact it is in favor of the objection.

The q stem says that "greenhouse" gases are bad because they cause global warming. Methane and CO2 are green house gases.

The objection raised is that by using methane as a fuel, more CO2 ( a greenhouse gas) is released in the atmosphere and hence will lead to global warming. => Do not use methane as a fuel.

C: states that they will replace a fuel which does not release an greenhouse gases such as methane or CO2 with methane which releases CO2. In this case the objection is justified because use of methane will lead to global warming. It does not counter the objection raised.

HTH


Sorry, I still cannot get it. Could someone help me?

I am supposed the C's meaning is that:
If we don't burn methane to produce electricity, then the methane would
be used as a substitute which orginally decrease the greenhouse level.

In other words, we should burn the methane, or we will deteriorate the atmosphere.

Does it not couter the objection?

Please help me, thank you
:cry:
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2004
Posts: 697
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2005, 09:30
chunjuwu wrote:
Sorry, I still cannot get it. Could someone help me?

I am supposed the C's meaning is that:
If we don't burn methane to produce electricity, then the methane would
be used as a substitute which orginally decrease the greenhouse level.

In other words, we should burn the methane, or we will deteriorate the atmosphere.

Does it not couter the objection?

Please help me, thank you
:cry:


Chunjuwu: Lets look at C again. We know from the objection that Methane releases CO2. Basically, if you use methane as a fuel you are replacing methane with CO2. So, your argument is very valid IF CO2 is better than methane. But if CO2 has the same or worse effect than methane, then you are just replacing methane with a more undesirable gas.

This brings us to statement D which says that CO2 is more desirable when compared to methane. So it counters the objection by saying that though we introduce CO2 in the place of methane, CO2 is less harmful than methane...
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 1226
Location: Taiwan
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2005, 22:49
gayathri wrote:
chunjuwu wrote:
Sorry, I still cannot get it. Could someone help me?

I am supposed the C's meaning is that:
If we don't burn methane to produce electricity, then the methane would
be used as a substitute which orginally decrease the greenhouse level.

In other words, we should burn the methane, or we will deteriorate the atmosphere.

Does it not couter the objection?

Please help me, thank you
:cry:


Chunjuwu: Lets look at C again. We know from the objection that Methane releases CO2. Basically, if you use methane as a fuel you are replacing methane with CO2. So, your argument is very valid IF CO2 is better than methane. But if CO2 has the same or worse effect than methane, then you are just replacing methane with a more undesirable gas.

This brings us to statement D which says that CO2 is more desirable when compared to methane. So it counters the objection by saying that though we introduce CO2 in the place of methane, CO2 is less harmful than methane...


Thanks very much , gayathri

I get it now.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 2355
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Proposal: Carbon dioxide and methane in the atmosphere block [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2014, 13:36
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Proposal: Carbon dioxide and methane in the atmosphere block   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2014, 13:36
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Proposal: Nitrous oxide and carbon dioxide are greenhouse maggie27 1 09 Jul 2014, 06:16
1 Proposal: Carbon dioxide and methane in the atmosphere block elegan 3 02 Nov 2012, 22:21
1 Proposal: Carbon dioxide and methane in the atmosphere block x97agarwal 5 03 Aug 2008, 11:24
1 Proposal: Carbon dioxide and methane in the atmosphere block bkk145 8 08 Oct 2007, 09:26
Proposal: Carbon dioxide and methane in the atmosphere block nakib77 4 19 Dec 2005, 04:00
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Proposal: Carbon dioxide and methane in the atmosphere block

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.