Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 11:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pros and Cons Versus Compare and Contrast

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Sep 2008
Posts: 24
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 126

Pros and Cons Versus Compare and Contrast [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 09:56
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Pros and Cons Versus Compare and Contrast

I usually get confused when the main point of a passage has two of its answer choices mentioning as below:

1) "The author is discussing the pros and cons of the theories "
2) "The author is comparing and contrasting the theories "

Could someone please explain the exact meaning & their appropriate usages with relevant examples ?
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 1917
Followers: 460

Kudos [?]: 1787 [5] , given: 29

Re: Pros and Cons Versus Compare and Contrast [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2012, 12:34
5
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
monsoon1 wrote:
Pros and Cons Versus Compare and Contrast

I usually get confused when the main point of a passage has two of its answer choices mentioning as below:

1) "The author is discussing the pros and cons of the theories "
2) "The author is comparing and contrasting the theories "

Could someone please explain the exact meaning & their appropriate usages with relevant examples ?


I'm happy to help with this. :-)

Let's make this specific and concrete, for clarity. Let say, for the sake of argument, we are discussing President Clinton's foreign policy over his 8 year term.

If I discuss the pros and cons of President Clinton's foreign policy, then I am only discussing President Clinton's foreign policy and no other foreign policy. I am comparing the good parts, the strengths, of President Clinton's foreign policy to the weakness & oversights & shortcomings of this same policy. The entire focus is just on President Clinton's foreign policy, the good and the bad about that one policy. I am just looking at that one thing.

If am asked to compare and contrast President Clinton's foreign policy, then I am necessarily comparing it to something else (often, that other thing would be specified in both the RC passage and in the question). For example, I could compare and contrast President Clinton's foreign policy with the foreign policy of Reagan, or GW Bush, or Eisenhower, or Truman, etc. etc. I could even compare and contrast President Clinton's foreign policy with the foreign policy of some other contemporary world leader --- Mitterand, John Major, Yeltsin, Deng Xiaoping, etc. etc. Compare and contrast necessarily involves looking at President Clinton's foreign policy in relation to some other foreign policy. I have to look at more than one thing.

Pros & cons happen within, but compare & contrast happens between.
Pros & cons focus on the good vs. the bad of a single thing.
Compare & contrast necessarily involves at least two different things.

Does that make sense?

Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Sep 2008
Posts: 24
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 126

Re: Pros and Cons Versus Compare and Contrast [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 19:02
mikemcgarry wrote:
monsoon1 wrote:
Pros and Cons Versus Compare and Contrast

I usually get confused when the main point of a passage has two of its answer choices mentioning as below:

1) "The author is discussing the pros and cons of the theories "
2) "The author is comparing and contrasting the theories "

Could someone please explain the exact meaning & their appropriate usages with relevant examples ?


I'm happy to help with this. :-)

Let's make this specific and concrete, for clarity. Let say, for the sake of argument, we are discussing President Clinton's foreign policy over his 8 year term.

If I discuss the pros and cons of President Clinton's foreign policy, then I am only discussing President Clinton's foreign policy and no other foreign policy. I am comparing the good parts, the strengths, of President Clinton's foreign policy to the weakness & oversights & shortcomings of this same policy. The entire focus is just on President Clinton's foreign policy, the good and the bad about that one policy. I am just looking at that one thing.

If am asked to compare and contrast President Clinton's foreign policy, then I am necessarily comparing it to something else (often, that other thing would be specified in both the RC passage and in the question). For example, I could compare and contrast President Clinton's foreign policy with the foreign policy of Reagan, or GW Bush, or Eisenhower, or Truman, etc. etc. I could even compare and contrast President Clinton's foreign policy with the foreign policy of some other contemporary world leader --- Mitterand, John Major, Yeltsin, Deng Xiaoping, etc. etc. Compare and contrast necessarily involves looking at President Clinton's foreign policy in relation to some other foreign policy. I have to look at more than one thing.

Pros & cons happen within, but compare & contrast happens between.
Pros & cons focus on the good vs. the bad of a single thing.
Compare & contrast necessarily involves at least two different things.

Does that make sense?

Mike :-)



Thank You Mike! +1 Kudos

Your explanations truly make sense! :)

Thanks again for the lucid explanation ! Very much clear now!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Sep 2008
Posts: 24
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 126

Re: Pros and Cons Versus Compare and Contrast [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2012, 19:14
mikemcgarry wrote:
monsoon1 wrote:
Pros and Cons Versus Compare and Contrast

I usually get confused when the main point of a passage has two of its answer choices mentioning as below:

1) "The author is discussing the pros and cons of the theories "
2) "The author is comparing and contrasting the theories "

Could someone please explain the exact meaning & their appropriate usages with relevant examples ?


I'm happy to help with this. :-)

Let's make this specific and concrete, for clarity. Let say, for the sake of argument, we are discussing President Clinton's foreign policy over his 8 year term.

If I discuss the pros and cons of President Clinton's foreign policy, then I am only discussing President Clinton's foreign policy and no other foreign policy. I am comparing the good parts, the strengths, of President Clinton's foreign policy to the weakness & oversights & shortcomings of this same policy. The entire focus is just on President Clinton's foreign policy, the good and the bad about that one policy. I am just looking at that one thing.

If am asked to compare and contrast President Clinton's foreign policy, then I am necessarily comparing it to something else (often, that other thing would be specified in both the RC passage and in the question). For example, I could compare and contrast President Clinton's foreign policy with the foreign policy of Reagan, or GW Bush, or Eisenhower, or Truman, etc. etc. I could even compare and contrast President Clinton's foreign policy with the foreign policy of some other contemporary world leader --- Mitterand, John Major, Yeltsin, Deng Xiaoping, etc. etc. Compare and contrast necessarily involves looking at President Clinton's foreign policy in relation to some other foreign policy. I have to look at more than one thing.

Pros & cons happen within, but compare & contrast happens between.
Pros & cons focus on the good vs. the bad of a single thing.
Compare & contrast necessarily involves at least two different things.

Does that make sense?

Mike :-)


Mike,

Does "Evaluate" (a theory, some research wok, a plan etc.) mean analysing positives and negatives of the respective subject/subjects?
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 1917
Followers: 460

Kudos [?]: 1787 [0], given: 29

Re: Pros and Cons Versus Compare and Contrast [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 08:15
Expert's post
monsoon1 wrote:
Mike,
Does "Evaluate" (a theory, some research wok, a plan etc.) mean analysing positives and negatives of the respective subject/subjects?

Yes, the word "evaluate" literally means "give the value of" or "assess the value of" --- in other words, "say how valuable it is." When the question asks you to "evaluate", the question is asking for something thorough --- what are the strengths? what are the weaknesses? how realistic is it? how widely applicable is it? what are obvious points of support for it? what are obvious objections to it?
In short, yes, when the question say "evaluate", it's asking for the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Does that make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Sep 2008
Posts: 24
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 126

Re: Pros and Cons Versus Compare and Contrast [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 11:26
mikemcgarry wrote:
monsoon1 wrote:
Mike,
Does "Evaluate" (a theory, some research wok, a plan etc.) mean analysing positives and negatives of the respective subject/subjects?

Yes, the word "evaluate" literally means "give the value of" or "assess the value of" --- in other words, "say how valuable it is." When the question asks you to "evaluate", the question is asking for something thorough --- what are the strengths? what are the weaknesses? how realistic is it? how widely applicable is it? what are obvious points of support for it? what are obvious objections to it?
In short, yes, when the question say "evaluate", it's asking for the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Does that make sense?
Mike :-)


Thanks, Mike ! Makes sense :)
Re: Pros and Cons Versus Compare and Contrast   [#permalink] 27 Sep 2012, 11:26
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic summer schools - pros and cons rvinodhini 2 03 May 2012, 19:07
What are the pros and cons of retaking the GMAT bchavali 3 09 May 2011, 09:21
pros and cons of re applying GAURAVA 1 23 Oct 2006, 02:15
Jan intake vs Sept/Oct - pros and cons?? Steven 6 02 Jul 2005, 04:25
Pros and cons of applying to multiple schools Keen 2 14 Mar 2005, 09:06
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Pros and Cons Versus Compare and Contrast

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.