Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 06:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Prospecting for gold during the California gold rush was a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Prospecting for gold during the California gold rush was a [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 21:56
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

49% (01:54) correct 51% (01:03) wrong based on 44 sessions
Prospecting for gold during the California gold rush was a relatively easy task, because of erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds thrust to the surface by volcanic activity put gold literally within reach for anybody with a pan or shovel.

A.) Same

B.) because of erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity that thrust ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds to the surface, and putting gold literally within reach of

C.) owing to erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity that had thrust ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds to the surface, and putting gold literally within reach of

D.) since erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity that thrust ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds to the surface, putting gold literally within reach for

E.) since erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds thrust to the surface by volcanic activity put gold literally within reach of

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 202 [1] , given: 6

Re: GMAT PREP 1 California Gold Rush [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 05:53
This post received
KUDOS
I did not understand the meaning of the sentence and hence picked (B), even though I did not like that option. But thought it is best among the lot until I saw the OA.

Prospecting for gold during the California gold rush was a relatively easy task, because of erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds thrust to the surface by volcanic activity put gold literally within reach for anybody with a pan or shovel.

A.) because of erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds thrust to the surface by volcanic activity put gold literally within reach for - incorrect

B.) because of erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity that thrust ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds to the surface, and putting gold literally within reach of -

C.) owing to erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity that had thrust ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds to the surface, and putting gold literally within reach of - incorrect

D.) since erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity that thrust ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds to the surface, putting gold literally within reach for - incorrect

E.) since erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds thrust to the surface by volcanic activity put gold literally within reach of - correct
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT PREP 1 California Gold Rush [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2010, 12:31
I picked E at first, but I liked "because" better than "since." Can anyone please clarify the difference between because and since?

I now realize that "because of" is wrong.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT PREP 1 California Gold Rush [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2010, 04:11
therockobama wrote:
I picked E at first, but I liked "because" better than "since." Can anyone please clarify the difference between because and since?

I now realize that "because of" is wrong.

Same here.
Could anybody clarify?

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
17 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 161 [17] , given: 1

Re: GMAT PREP 1 California Gold Rush [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 00:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Technically there is a difference in meaning between "because" and "since" ("since" has a connotation of passage of time).

Because you left the room, I have eaten your cupcake. (The reason I ate your cupcake is that you left the room)
versus
Since you left the room, I have eaten your cupcake. (The reason I ate your cupcake is that you left the room OR I ate your cupcake in the time that has passed since you left the room...ambiguous meaning)

BUT this is a *very* finicky distinction and it seems unlikely that this would be the main error split being tested (I don't remember seeing anything in the OG that would disprove this, but please jump in and correct me if you've got evidence to the contrary).

The split HERE is not "because" versus "since," but rather "because OF" versus "since." "Because of" should be followed by a noun or pronoun ("Because of you, I am awake"). You cannot follow "because of" with a clause -- your ear probably tells you that you would NOT say "Because of you left the room, I have eaten your cupcake."

"Since" (used here in the causation sense rather than the traditional time-passage sense), like "because," CAN be followed by a clause.

Let's revisit the question with this in mind. I always try to whittle down what the "bones" are without all the extra modifiers. For the "because of" choices, A & B, the bones seem to be "Prospecting was an easy task, because of X, Y, and Z." There is an incorrect idiom usage in A ("reach for" instead of "reach of") as seekmba pointed out above. Choice A is also incorrect because the verb "put" all of a sudden makes the sentence read "Prospecting was an easy task, because of X, Y, and Z" DID something-- a clause! If you have "because OF" you can't have a verb.

Choice B is incorrect because "putting gold literally within reach" is not parallel to "thrust." What did X,Y, an Z do? They "thrust...and putting"--blech. When you cut out all the stuff in the middle it's easier to see that the structure doesn't match.

Choice C has the same issue as B ("thrust...and putting"). Side note: "owing to," like "because of," should be followed by a noun, not a clause. Both "owing to" and "because of" are actually PREPOSITIONS.

Choice D contains that same incorrect idiom seekmba mentioned. It also violates the correct usage of "since." "Putting" following the comma here is functioning as a modifier, not a verb. "Since," which is used here interchangeably with "because," should be followed by a clause. "Since" can be followed by just a noun in its other life as an indicator of the passage of time("She has been much happier since 1999") but not in this function.

Choice E cleans all this up--"since," (here meaning "because") is followed by a compound subject A, B, and C DOING something -- a clause! The "bones" would read "Prospecting was an easy task, because X, Y, and Z put gold within reach of anybody."

Hope this helps!

JP Park | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Los Angeles

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT PREP 1 California Gold Rush [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 23:06
+1 for E.

This is a question in which understanding the intent can help to eliminate a bunch of choices right away and choose the correct choice.

Crick
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT PREP 1 California Gold Rush [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2011, 23:28
parker wrote:
Technically there is a difference in meaning between "because" and "since" ("since" has a connotation of passage of time).

Because you left the room, I have eaten your cupcake. (The reason I ate your cupcake is that you left the room)
versus
Since you left the room, I have eaten your cupcake. (The reason I ate your cupcake is that you left the room OR I ate your cupcake in the time that has passed since you left the room...ambiguous meaning)

BUT this is a *very* finicky distinction and it seems unlikely that this would be the main error split being tested (I don't remember seeing anything in the OG that would disprove this, but please jump in and correct me if you've got evidence to the contrary).

The split HERE is not "because" versus "since," but rather "because OF" versus "since." "Because of" should be followed by a noun or pronoun ("Because of you, I am awake"). You cannot follow "because of" with a clause -- your ear probably tells you that you would NOT say "Because of you left the room, I have eaten your cupcake."

"Since" (used here in the causation sense rather than the traditional time-passage sense), like "because," CAN be followed by a clause.

Let's revisit the question with this in mind. I always try to whittle down what the "bones" are without all the extra modifiers. For the "because of" choices, A & B, the bones seem to be "Prospecting was an easy task, because of X, Y, and Z." There is an incorrect idiom usage in A ("reach for" instead of "reach of") as seekmba pointed out above. Choice A is also incorrect because the verb "put" all of a sudden makes the sentence read "Prospecting was an easy task, because of X, Y, and Z" DID something-- a clause! If you have "because OF" you can't have a verb.

Choice B is incorrect because "putting gold literally within reach" is not parallel to "thrust." What did X,Y, an Z do? They "thrust...and putting"--blech. When you cut out all the stuff in the middle it's easier to see that the structure doesn't match.

Choice C has the same issue as B ("thrust...and putting"). Side note: "owing to," like "because of," should be followed by a noun, not a clause. Both "owing to" and "because of" are actually PREPOSITIONS.

Choice D contains that same incorrect idiom seekmba mentioned. It also violates the correct usage of "since." "Putting" following the comma here is functioning as a modifier, not a verb. "Since," which is used here interchangeably with "because," should be followed by a clause. "Since" can be followed by just a noun in its other life as an indicator of the passage of time("She has been much happier since 1999") but not in this function.

Choice E cleans all this up--"since," (here meaning "because") is followed by a compound subject A, B, and C DOING something -- a clause! The "bones" would read "Prospecting was an easy task, because X, Y, and Z put gold within reach of anybody."

Hope this helps!

Parker this is a great explanation. +1 on Kudos
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1520 [0], given: 248

Re: Prospecting for gold during the California gold rush was a [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 23:40
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
While structuring sentences, the Take- Away is:

A. Simple sentences contain a single main clause with a subject and a finite verb; any modifier that may follow is not going to be a clause. It can be a prepositional phrase (because of, owing to, etc,) followed by a noun or noun phrase. Any finite verb such as ‘put’ will be wrong, while a participle such as putting or helped by is permitted ‘and putting’ is unacceptable. In short, the template of a simple sentence is: main clause with Sub+ verb) plus an optional prepositional or participial modifier.

Example:
1. Dhoni is a successful captain, because of his winning of important matches somehow
2. Dhoni is a successful captain, winning important matches somehow

B. Complex sentences have not only a main clause with a subject and finite verb, but also a subordinate clause connected by a subordinate conjunction such as since, because, although etc. These subordinate clauses do have a finite verb such as ‘put’; However ‘and putting’ is not permitted since - and putting- is not a finite verb. The template is: a main clause (subject cum verb) plus a subordinate clause (a subordinate conjunction plus a subject (may be skipped sometimes) and compulsorily a finite verb’.
1. Dhoni is a successful captain, who is able to win important matches somehow
2. Since Dhoni is able to win important matches somehow, he is India’s most successful captain.

C. The third category is the compound sentence consisting of two independent sentences with a subject and a mandatory finite verb of each own, (although the subject may be skipped sometimes to avoid redundancy).

Example: Dhoni is a successful captain and is able to win important matches

In the light of the above, perhaps the text in question may be understood, although it is neither a match nor an alternative to what people like Parker have elucidated. For those who want a more basic sermon, here is a file of mine that might give you a glimpse of this concept.
Attachments

Basic sentence patterns.doc [46 KiB]
Downloaded 125 times

To download please login or register as a user

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Prospecting for gold during the California gold rush was a [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 02:14
Not only CA gold rush, recently a new gold rush came in Columbia. Many men went there with their metal detector for gold.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Prospecting for gold during the California gold rush was a [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 04:47
[quote="burnttwinky"]Prospecting for gold during the California gold rush was a relatively easy task, because of erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds thrust to the surface by volcanic activity put gold literally within reach for anybody with a pan or shovel.

A.) Same

B.) because of erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity that thrust ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds to the surface, and putting gold literally within reach of

C.) owing to erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity that had thrust ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds to the surface, and putting gold literally within reach of

D.) since erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity that thrust ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds to the surface, putting gold literally within reach for

E.) since erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds thrust to the surface by volcanic activity put gold literally within reach of

A & B are incorrect : "because" is signifying cause and effect which is not the case. Also because of is unidiomatic and generally avoided in GMAT.
C = putting is Ving form and incorrect here : also had signifies 2 actions in the past, and there are no 2 actions.
D = putting is incorrect : reach for is unidiomatic
E = correct
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 5

Re: Prospecting for gold during the California gold rush was a [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2014, 16:38
First look: Grammatical construction, idiomatic construction

A.) Same Wrong - "because of" cannot take a clause, so the verb "put" is wrong.

B.) because of erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity that thrust ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds to the surface, and putting gold literally within reach of Wrong - same as above. Furthermore, "and putting" is not parallel to any verb in the sentence; the ", and" must have a subject and verb.

C.) owing to erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity that had thrust ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds to the surface, and putting gold literally within reach of Wrong - "owing to" is structured as a participle that modifies the prior noun "task". This is illogical because "owing to" should have a subject that could perform the action "owe". Also, "putting" for the same reason as above.

D.) since erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and volcanic activity that thrust ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds to the surface, putting gold literally within reach fornWrong - "since" needs a subject and a verb because it carries a clause; "putting" for the same reason as above.

E.) since erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds thrust to the surface by volcanic activity put gold literally within reach of Correct - the inverted participle modifier make the sentence tempting to discard, but it still stands.

IMO E

A little kudos never hurt anyone. :)

Re: Prospecting for gold during the California gold rush was a   [#permalink] 09 Feb 2014, 16:38