Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 13:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

prospects

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
prospects [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2012, 20:03
I have a gmat score of 700 gpa of 3.4 and 2 years of work ex .What are the schools of i should be looking at
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 63

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: prospects [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2012, 20:41
gomzit wrote:
I have a gmat score of 700 gpa of 3.4 and 2 years of work ex .What are the schools of i should be looking at

What was your undergrad, what are you doing professionally, and what are your post-MBA goals?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

Re: prospects [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2012, 20:49
gomzit wrote:

It's not that cut and dry. Stats alone do not dictate where you should apply. Your application will be holistically evaluated by an admissions committee, so where you went to school, where you worked and the industry in which you worked, your extracurriculars, your leadership experience, your career goals, and your essays will all be pieces of the larger puzzle. You could start by comparing your stats to the class profiles of the schools in which you are interested, but then you need to do further research to find out what each school values in its applicants.

Also, you should keep in mind that for most schools, the average amount of work experience is closer to 5 years. You will really need to make a case as to why you should be pursuing an MBA at this stage in your life, and not 3 or 4 years down the road.
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: prospects [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2012, 20:54
I want to get into consulting i have an engineering degree
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 63

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: prospects [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2012, 21:06
gomzit wrote:
I want to get into consulting i have an engineering degree

I'd take a look at Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg, MIT, Tuck, and maybe a few others. Obviously if I had more info I could be of more help -- context matters a lot.

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: prospects [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2012, 22:34
Yes, more info needed. You can get into consulting from a number of different schools.

If you're trying to figure out where you might get in based on stats alone, most schools will publish Class Profiles that include things like Avg GMAT, Undergrad GPA, Work Exp, Age at Matriculation, etc. You could also check out the "Business School Guides" section of GMAT Club, which lists that information for some of the top schools in the country (and world).
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: prospects [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2012, 20:41
My profile is as follows:-
I have an engineering degree in IT from india.I have worked 2 years in a software firm.
When i was in college i ran my own firm for sometime.I also have taught at an underprivileged school for some time and i run my own NGO.
2 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [2] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: prospects [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 11:49
This post received
KUDOS
@gomzit

No one on this board can ever tell you which schools you can or should apply to. Trust me, anyone in this world who can make school recommendations to you or evaluate your prospects at any school based on whatever little information you've shared here is just giving you a load of BS.

ls14 and jazzman have given you the best piece of advice above. Applications are evaluated holistically and it's much more than just a numbers game. You need to do a lot of self-introspection and research to figure out what you want to do in the short term and long term and then shortlist schools based on your preferences and a realistic assessment of where you can get in. No one can do that for you..

All of us wish there was some magical formula that would tell us based on stats where you could get in. But unfortunately, none exists. Based purely on the limited info you've thrown out here, I would say that you don't have even a remote chance at any top 25 US school or at any top 15 non-US school. Does that help? I'm sure it doesn't because you are much more than your stats indicate.

You need to research a lot on your own before evaluating your prospects anywhere.
(Hint: use the search functionality in this forum, A LOT).

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: prospects [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 21:24
Ok so what are the things i need to keep in mind to have a good shot at the top 20 schools in the us with my stats
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Statistics
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.31
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 49

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: prospects [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2012, 21:58
This post received
KUDOS
gomzit wrote:
Ok so what are the things i need to keep in mind to have a good shot at the top 20 schools in the us with my stats

Know when to ask for advice and know when to take said advice and stop asking :)... I'm not even sure what you are asking here. Just want some more help from people who really cannot help but since I gave you a hard time I will make up for it by adding my 2 cents (No hard feelings right :)).

You come from a large applicant pool. Indian Engineer is so overly represented so you must dig deep into what makes you, you. Not how you are the greatest business man/woman ever and you dream up startups while you sleep but who you are as a person and what lead you to this point. You have great accomplishments but what was the impact on you, what did you learn?

1) Know why you want to achieve your goals (both short and long term). Tie it to something meaningful in your work or life. Maybe a project you worked on involved consultants or a consulting-like role that you enjoyed.

2) What schools fit your goals and why? All the top schools are VERY different and take different approaches to education. What works for you and why?

3) Interact with the schools. Some schools have ambassadors, reach out to them. Some schools have alumni volunteers. Take advantage and contact them. Ask them questions you would want to know the answer to if you were admitted. Don't ask: "How do i get in?". Go to MBA fairs or School sponsored events. Take cards and names.

4) Take all the effort you put in the first 3 steps (which will take weeks/months) and articulate it essays and interviews.

Do not ask the board to tell you the schools to pick, that makes for a crappy essay. GmatClub Screen names do not look very professional quoted in essays. Do your own research or it wouldn't be meaningful and will come off as contrived/unrealistic. You want to be enthusiastic about the schools not just knowledgeable.

Good luck.

GO BLUE!

Re: prospects   [#permalink] 24 Feb 2012, 21:58