Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 03:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

prosthetic bone

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
prosthetic bone [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2008, 23:40
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Although custom prosthetic bone replacements produced through a new computer-aided design process will cost more than twice as much as ordinary replacements, custom replacements should still be cost-effective. Not only will surgery and recovery time be reduced, but custom replacements should last longer, thereby reducing the need for further hospital stays.
Which of the following must be studied in order to evaluate the argument presented above?

A. The amount of time a patient spends in surgery versus the amount of time spent recovering from surgery

B. The amount by which the cost of producing custom replacements has declined with the introduction of the new technique for producing them

C. The degree to which the use of custom replacements is likely to reduce the need for repeat surgery when compared with the use of ordinary replacements

D. The degree to which custom replacements produced with the new technique are more carefully manufactured than are ordinary replacements

E. The amount by which custom replacements produced with the new technique will drop in cost as the production procedures become standardized and applicable on a larger scale

Please explain . Do the rest of clubbers use variance method for such questions? What is your approach to such questions ?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: prosthetic bone [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 01:17
I'll go with C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: prosthetic bone [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 03:45
shireeshgunda wrote:
I'll go with C.

why?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: prosthetic bone [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 05:02
I went to E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: prosthetic bone [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 06:15
Guys please explain as well
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 48 [2] , given: 1

Re: prosthetic bone [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 08:19
This post received
KUDOS
Nihit wrote:
Although custom prosthetic bone replacements produced through a new computer-aided design process will cost more than twice as much as ordinary replacements, custom replacements should still be cost-effective. Not only will surgery and recovery time be reduced, but custom replacements should last longer, thereby reducing the need for further hospital stays.
Which of the following must be studied in order to evaluate the argument presented above?

A. The amount of time a patient spends in surgery versus the amount of time spent recovering from surgery

B. The amount by which the cost of producing custom replacements has declined with the introduction of the new technique for producing them

C. The degree to which the use of custom replacements is likely to reduce the need for repeat surgery when compared with the use of ordinary replacements

D. The degree to which custom replacements produced with the new technique are more carefully manufactured than are ordinary replacements

E. The amount by which custom replacements produced with the new technique will drop in cost as the production procedures become standardized and applicable on a larger scale

Please explain . Do the rest of clubbers use variance method for such questions? What is your approach to such questions ?

IMO C)

The custom replacement is twice costly and it will last longer. However if it last only 20% longer than patient will have to pay more cost.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: prosthetic bone [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 15:14
Nihit wrote:

IMO C
"custom replacements should still be cost-effective"
we need to know if the custom replacements is likely to reduce the need for repeat surgery, if not, it is not cost effective....

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: prosthetic bone [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 15:31
IMO C.

If number of repeat surgery is increased , then it will be become costlier
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: prosthetic bone [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2008, 23:44
C.
Talking about costs
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: prosthetic bone [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 09:20
But doesn't the whole argument rest on the premise that these prosthetic bones are made very accurately? Therefore, if the bones were only half as accurate as they are claimed to be, the entire argument would stand null, right?

petrifiedbutstanding

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 154

Kudos [?]: 510 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: prosthetic bone [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 10:13
Thanks for contacting me.

1) State the source. It is not a GMAT-like question.
2) The quality is poor. You have to assume smth to be correct in order to arrive to correct answer. Dont practice poor questions.

to the question itself.

conclusion: custom replacements should still be cost-effective , You must identify conclusion first.
what is asked? we need to strengthen the argument.
how would you do it without reading the answers? look, you need to support the statement that custom replacements should still be cost-effective. So we are basically reduced to cost comparisons (for customers), not time or volume etc. So let A and D out.

B and E are talking about production costs, which are not customers' costs. They are out as well.

We remained with C. Why C is bad? Because you must assume that:
2*"ordinary replacements"(=custom prosthetic bone replacements) minus ordinary replacements < cash for for repeat surgery . This may not be true,since nobody told you that it is lower.
This is why C is bad: it tells you that "The degree to which the use of custom replacements is likely to reduce" without specifyin cost for surgery and degree of reduction for it.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: prosthetic bone [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 10:57
Pkit wrote:
Thanks for contacting me.

1) State the source. It is not a GMAT-like question.
2) The quality is poor. You have to assume smth to be correct in order to arrive to correct answer. Dont practice poor questions.

As a matter of fact, I found this baby in OG 12. Problem no. 108

petrifiedbutstanding

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: prosthetic bone [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 11:07
So I am not expert anymore in determining the quality of CR questions :lol: .
Yes. I did it!
If you have explanations in og12, why are you asking for?

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: prosthetic bone [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 11:29
petrifiedbutstanding wrote:
But doesn't the whole argument rest on the premise that these prosthetic bones are made very accurately? Therefore, if the bones were only half as accurate as they are claimed to be, the entire argument would stand null, right?

Nah.. You're probably right about the question anyway! And the OG didn't mention anything that wasn't mentioned in this forum. I'm having a problem making sense of that with the explanation.

If you look at my post quoted here, it was why I didn't agree. Can you tell me if my argument stands?

petrifiedbutstanding

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: prosthetic bone [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 12:04

Nah.. You're probably right about the question anyway! And the OG didn't mention anything that wasn't mentioned in this forum. I'm having a problem making sense of that with the explanation.

If you look at my post quoted here, it was why I didn't agree. Can you tell me if my argument stands?

I think you and I are right.
But OG questions are right, no matter what. And no need to discuss/debate them, period.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: prosthetic bone [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 12:12
Alrighty! Thanks for your help.

petrifiedbutstanding

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: prosthetic bone [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 12:45
I picked C!!!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 32

Re: prosthetic bone [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 20:19
+1 for C. Focus in on reduced time. So anything related to production technique is out.
Intern
Intern

Re: prosthetic bone [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2011, 21:46
i dont know...
Intern
Intern

Re: prosthetic bone [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2011, 00:37
The answer should be "C".

If the use of custom replacements needs repeated surgery to high degree, then it would not be a cost effective.
However, if it needs less repeated surgery, it can be cost effective.
So, I will go with C
Re: prosthetic bone   [#permalink] 23 Sep 2011, 00:37