Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Provinces and states with stringent car safety requirements,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Provinces and states with stringent car safety requirements, [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2012, 11:32
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (02:11) correct 32% (01:12) wrong based on 143 sessions
Provinces and states with stringent car safety requirements, including required use of seat
belts and annual safety inspections, have on average higher rates of accidents per kilometer
driven than do provinces and states with less stringent requirements. Nevertheless, most
highway safety experts agree that more stringent requirements do reduce accident rates.
Which one of the following, if true, most helps to reconcile the safety experts’ belief with the
apparently contrary evidence described above?
a) Annual safety inspections ensure that car tires are replaced before they grow old.
b) Drivers often become overconfident after their cars have passed a thorough safety
inspection.
c) The roads in provinces and states with stringent car safety programs are far more congested
and therefore dangerous than in other provinces and states.
d) Psychological studies show that drivers who regularly wear seat belts often come to think of
themselves as serious drivers, which for a few people discourages reckless driving.
e) Provinces and states with stringent car safety requirements have, on average, many more
kilometers of roads then do other provinces and states.

Main CR Qs link - cr-qs-600-700-level-131508.html
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 296 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Strengthen [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2012, 17:14
+1 C

If the likelihood of being in an car accident were the same in both type of provinces, we would see that the rate of accidents in the provice with stricter laws would be lower. But this is not the case.

There are different contexts with different probabilities of being in an accident that explain this paradox.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: CR - Strengthen [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2012, 20:02
Good Question. What is the reason why the option D is ignored ?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Strengthen [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2012, 07:35
a) Annual safety inspections ensure that car tires are replaced before they grow old. - Irrelavant - Incorrect

b) Drivers often become overconfident after their cars have passed a thorough safety inspection.
c) The roads in provinces and states with stringent car safety programs are far more congested and therefore dangerous than in other provinces and states.

d) Psychological studies show that drivers who regularly wear seat belts often come to think of themselves as serious drivers, which for a few people discourages reckless driving. - If serious driving discourages rekless driving, then there is no reason for accidents to occur. Hence Incorrect answer
e) Provinces and states with stringent car safety requirements have, on average, many more kilometers of roads then do other provinces and states. - Does not automatically prove anything - Incorrect

b) Drivers often become overconfident after their cars have passed a thorough safety inspection. - This seems valid answer. Since the stringent safety measures are met, there is a possibility that drivers become reckless and think they are invincible. -- Would like to know if my reason of thinking is incorrect.

c) The roads in provinces and states with stringent car safety programs are far more congested and therefore dangerous than in other provinces and states. - Since states with stringent safety programs are more congested, there might me minor accident because of close encounters with other drivers. - Seems like a correct answer.

Between B and C, I would choose B.
I would like to hear others thoughts and line of reasoning.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR - Strengthen [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2012, 07:45
Between B & C, I will go with C.

As Sidhu pointed in his explanatin that there is a possibility that driver may be overconfident and become reckless. It will definitely cause accidents. Ok, we can accept this statement, however this statement or the possibility of accidents does not clarify concisely why accidents per Kms will increase.

Whereas option C is very straight forward and clearly addresses the issue in preceding argument.

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Sloan '15
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
WE: Architecture (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: Provinces and states with stringent car safety requirements, [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 02:33
Guys, the question does not ask us to explain the contradiction. If the question asked us to explain contradiction, both B and C would be equally correct.
But the question is why would security experts agree for stringent rules, despite the contradiction that states with stringent rule have more accidents.

In case of B, drivers become overconfident and hence security experts would not favor Stringent rules.
In case of C, the paradox is explained and the explanation does not blame stringent rules for the accidents so security experts might agree with stringent rules. Hope this helps.
Re: Provinces and states with stringent car safety requirements,   [#permalink] 04 Nov 2012, 02:33