Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 20:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Provisions of the new deficit-reduction program featuring

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 7

Provisions of the new deficit-reduction program featuring [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2010, 02:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

54% (01:00) correct 46% (01:41) wrong based on 7 sessions
Provisions of the new deficit-reduction program featuring indiscriminate cuts in the federal budget are justified, inspite of the charges made by some of its critics. Critics should remember that the new program rescued our nation from an impending giant economic crisis even though some of its provisions were later found to be unconstitutional.
Critics could effectively defend their position by pointing out that
A. the expertise of those opposing the law is outstanding
B. the lack of justification for the new law does not imply that those who drew it up were either inept or immoral
C. the practical application of the new law will not entail indiscriminate budget cuts
D. economic troubles present at the time of the New program were equal in severity to those that have led to the present law
E. the fact that certain flawed programs or laws have improved the economy does not prove that every such program can do so

I have marked
[Reveal] Spoiler:
d
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 732 [0], given: 40

Re: CR6 [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2010, 03:46
IMO E.

OA please.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Re: CR6 [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2010, 07:14
IMO E.
D can only weaken the critics argument
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Re: CR6 [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2010, 07:16
IMO E.
D can only weaken the critics argument
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: CR6 [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2010, 14:51
E can't be the answer to my justification. As the premise points out that some of the laws were later found to be unconstitutional, but at the time of the provisions the critics didn't know they were unconstitutional.

I am with D, which makes more sense. More than that A, B & C doesn't make any sense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 16

Re: CR6 [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2010, 20:21
E

Never give up,,,

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 12

Re: CR6 [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 02:30
E

In a way D weakens the critics argument by stating that the severity remains same so similar solution as before can be implemented.

E is a better choice because E defends the critics argument by stating that there is no guarantee that unconstitutional/flawed laws that worked once will again work.

The proponents of the provisions are using the same medicine for different diseases.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 224 [0], given: 6

Re: CR6 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 12:53
E for me.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 3

Re: CR6 [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 11:53
I too picked E the first time. But on a closer analysis the option does not seem to have much weight in it.

Option D seems more reasonable because it says that even though the new law rescued the nation the first time, the economic troubles still remain and are as severe as they were when the law was applied. Had the law been effective it should have freed the nation from the economic troubles. However that is not the case. The troubles still exist and are as severe as before. Hence the new law is flawed.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: CR6 [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 14:33
E ! what is OA ?

What law is being referred to in D? The prose does not reference any Law.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 3

Re: CR6 [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 22:52
Sorry...my bad...replace "law" with "program"
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

Re: CR6 [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 23:03
The Answer has to be E (time: 1.28 min).
If you all are confused with D which states "economic troubles present at the time of the New program were equal in severity to those that have led to the present law" then please think that in the argument there is no reference to two programs just one. Also y r we concerned about what lead to the program when the evidence clearly states that the program turned successful in stabilizing the economy.
Do let me know if some one thinks differently with proper justification.

Yogesh Agarwal
yogeshagarwala@gmail.com

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

Manager
Manager
Schools: IU, UT Dallas, Univ of Georgia, Univ of Arkansas, Miami University
WE 1: 5.5 Yrs IT

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: CR6 [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 23:16
IMO E. Please post OA.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: CR6 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 04:13
IMO E.
D seems to weaken critics argument.Kindly let us know the OA.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 12

Re: CR6 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 11:05
can u pls provide the OA to this Q

gmatcracker2010 wrote:
Provisions of the new deficit-reduction program featuring indiscriminate cuts in the federal budget are justified, inspite of the charges made by some of its critics. Critics should remember that the new program rescued our nation from an impending giant economic crisis even though some of its provisions were later found to be unconstitutional.
B. the lack of justification for the new law does not imply that those who drew it up were either inept or immoral
C. the practical application of the new law will not entail indiscriminate budget cuts
D. economic troubles present at the time of the New program were equal in severity to those that have led to the present law
E. the fact that certain flawed programs or laws have improved the economy does not prove that every such program can do so

I have marked
[Reveal] Spoiler:
d
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: CR6 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 23:26
This question has been improperly modified. I wonder why...
Here is the original text:

Contrary to the charges made by some of its opponents, the provisions of the new deficit-reduction law for indiscriminate cuts in the federal budget are justified. Opponents should remember that the New Deal pulled this country out of great economic troubles even though some of its programs were later found to be unconstitutional.

Answer : E

If you google the text, you'll find the original question.

In the original text, it is clear that the writer is talking about 2 different programs: the New Deal, which in the past has lead to good results even though it was unconstitutional, and the new deficit reduction program, which he tries to justify by citing the example of the New Deal.
Thus, with the original text, the answer is E straight, since the critics can defend their position by stating that even though some flawed laws have been successful in the past, some others haven't, thus the new one could be a failure.

The modified text is confusing, it seems like only one program is described ("new deficit-reduction program" and "new program" can be easily considered the same thing), thus the whole reasoning is biased...

What is the source? I don't think GMAT questions should be modified, since it's easy to make the whole question flawed.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 7

Re: CR6 [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 23:18
Thanks for replies. But as said earlier i dont have OAs of this on. I was surfing the net and got this Q.
Re: CR6   [#permalink] 11 Jun 2010, 23:18